U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-28-2015, 07:37 PM
 
Location: Bethesda
2,876 posts, read 6,030,360 times
Reputation: 1218

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
Sounds like several Sci-fi novels I have read ("Hyperion" and "Revelation Space").
I love Revelation Space and most of Alastair Reynold's other works. Post-physical entities are definitely a theme in his universes. Haven't read Hyperion yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-29-2015, 12:08 PM
 
4,794 posts, read 1,900,107 times
Reputation: 4885
Quote:
Civilizational divergence.

I think there will be a population of humans on the Earth who have rejected technological change and are trying to build a nature-based socially just society.

The other main group will have been augmented and/or fused with machines and will occupy multiple star systems. It's possible that post-physical entities will be common.

If I'm around, I'll be among the latter, out in the stars.

Edit: this prediction rings true (to me) even in 75 years from now. Except I think we will have settled a few locations in the solar system, but not beyond. I think we'll have shown FTL travel works in proof of concept. In another hundred years of advancement, post singularity, I think it will be feasible for travel. See Alcubierre drive.
There's a lot written about this subject. It's speculation now but a technological singularity in some form is in the future. I think it will not only be a civilizational divergence but likely part of us will become something else entirely. Possibly the new species will not even be corporeal in form.

With all of the suns in our galaxy alone, each harboring planets some of which are capable of creating life odds are we are not alone and there is in fact a lot of other technical civilizations out there.

If this is so, then why the silence? Why don't we hear them?

I think they're either dead (having killed themselves), hiding or have evolved into something else.

I think the time between industrialization to the technological singularity is in fact very short, a few thousand years or so and in the scheme of the universe a few thousand years is not even worth mentioning.

I think species divergence is highly likely. Some humans will stay in a material form, other will not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2015, 03:14 PM
 
Location: Bethesda
2,876 posts, read 6,030,360 times
Reputation: 1218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
There's a lot written about this subject. It's speculation now but a technological singularity in some form is in the future. I think it will not only be a civilizational divergence but likely part of us will become something else entirely. Possibly the new species will not even be corporeal in form.

With all of the suns in our galaxy alone, each harboring planets some of which are capable of creating life odds are we are not alone and there is in fact a lot of other technical civilizations out there.

If this is so, then why the silence? Why don't we hear them?

I think they're either dead (having killed themselves), hiding or have evolved into something else.

I think the time between industrialization to the technological singularity is in fact very short, a few thousand years or so and in the scheme of the universe a few thousand years is not even worth mentioning.

I think species divergence is highly likely. Some humans will stay in a material form, other will not.
I'm fascinated by the idea of the Singularity. Check out the Singularity1on1 podcast if you get the time. This was my point that we might as well guess about 2100 instead of the year 3000 - they will both be radically different from today and unknowable to us.

I agree that the amount of time a civilization is broadcasting radio signals (or similar) is short on an astronomical timescale. It stands to reason that the vast majority of time a species will be pre-industrial and post-singularity. If this is true, we are either living in an extremely rare and exciting time period, or are living in a simulation computed by post-physical beings ("ancestor simulations").

Of course, given how speculative all of this is, we have no idea how often civilizations survive the turmoil of a singularity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2015, 08:30 AM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
1,164 posts, read 1,282,175 times
Reputation: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedtodave View Post
I love Revelation Space and most of Alastair Reynold's other works. Post-physical entities are definitely a theme in his universes. Haven't read Hyperion yet.
I recently discovered his works; about a month ago, finished "Revelation Space" and jumped right into "Chasm City" which I'm also liking very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2015, 11:51 AM
 
Location: MA
1,172 posts, read 545,516 times
Reputation: 657
If we are going at the same pace we are by our level of pollution, over fishing, deforrestation, over population, wars and conflicts, I see even the next 100 years to be gloomy nevermind reaching year 3000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2015, 08:28 PM
 
Location: Bethesda
2,876 posts, read 6,030,360 times
Reputation: 1218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgardian View Post
If we are going at the same pace we are by our level of pollution, over fishing, deforrestation, over population, wars and conflicts, I see even the next 100 years to be gloomy nevermind reaching year 3000.
There is less armed conflict today than in any time in the recent past. Birthrates have also fallen drastically throughout the world (it's not the 70s anymore).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2015, 09:48 PM
 
Location: NJ
789 posts, read 707,616 times
Reputation: 2324
We won't make another 100 years. Some nut with a nuke will take us all out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2015, 07:19 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,804,168 times
Reputation: 35909
Would you ask a pyramid-building Egyptian to speculate on Human Civilization in the year 2015? How can anything come out of such a question?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2015, 03:01 PM
 
Location: Southridge
452 posts, read 446,567 times
Reputation: 429
Quote:
Would you ask a pyramid-building Egyptian to speculate on Human Civilization in the year 2015? How can anything come out of such a question?
Ha! When I clicked on the thread, this is what I thought, and here you already put it, lol.

We have no idea what it will be like in 3000AD, if we did, we would invent those advanced things now. I know my grandparents grew up during the Great Depression. When they were growing up, did they have any concept in their head of a personal computer, or an internet, or laser guided cruise control? You can have a concept but specifics are impossible. I would bet a lot of things will be flying or levitated by then, and would hope for Star Trek levels of tech like teleporting. But other than that, it's all SciFi. Notice how every decade SciFi movies change?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2015, 12:55 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles County
11,103 posts, read 9,086,341 times
Reputation: 29144
I will finally have my stupid flying car hopefully!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top