Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 08:20 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,427,851 times

Advertisements

Why is solar so popular, wind seems better.

I am confused !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 08:52 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
Less maintenance, no moving parts, quiet.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:21 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
Wind power produces much more energy for the given amount of space. Both are relatively expensive and dependent on government subsidies. However since our money is created from nothing and debt is spiraling out of control anyways, I'd rather see the money spent on renewable energy so I generally support the tax credits. There's plenty of windmills around here. I don't get the liberal argument about them being unsightly and killing birds.. honestly no source of energy pleases them.. may as well shut the grid down and live in tents.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Wind power produces much more energy for the given amount of space. Both are relatively expensive and dependent on government subsidies. However since our money is created from nothing and debt is spiraling out of control anyways, I'd rather see the money spent on renewable energy so I generally support the tax credits. There's plenty of windmills around here. I don't get the liberal argument about them being unsightly and killing birds.. honestly no source of energy pleases them.. may as well shut the grid down and live in tents.
Just stick a bird repellant on it Like even the once that plane propellers use.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:20 PM

725 posts, read 805,664 times
Wind involves putting up huge turbines a few hundred feet in the air. They make noise which is terrible for people who live next to them. They are detrimental to birds. They have high maintenance cost. They are also dangerous in a tornado or hurricane.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:47 AM

They have home models, that one can put on top of their house and it takes 3-7 of those power an entire home. The cost of one of them is between 1-2k.

There are giant industrial once as well.

Solar panels will not function if they are covered with snow and need to be cleaned once in a while to keep good performance.

Old 03-25-2015, 03:00 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
Wind involves putting up huge turbines a few hundred feet in the air. They make noise which is terrible for people who live next to them. They are detrimental to birds. They have high maintenance cost. They are also dangerous in a tornado or hurricane.

Out here they are placed on farms who's farmers get a nice payment every year just for having them installed on their land so I doubt they care about any noise. Secondly I drive by these things all the time and they make very little noise... you have to get pretty close to them to hear much at all. You certainly can't hear them from a running vehicle. The sound of the wind blowing against your ears probably produces a higher decibel level. I'm somewhat sensitive to noise pollution (aftermarket exhausts on vehicles, motorcycles, people outside being loud, blasting bass) and they don't bother me at all.

They normally aren't put in areas where the population is dense enough where noise would be an issue. A lot of these arguments are made by people who have probably never even seen one in person much less stood next to one. I have. There are dozens of them around Lake Benton, MN. Standing in town I assure you not a one can be heard. They will produce a false echo from time to time on the weather radar, that's about the only bad thing they do.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:06 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
that's about the only bad thing they do.
They scare uninformed people.

Wait. Is that a bad thing?

Old 03-30-2015, 02:10 AM

1,371 posts, read 1,933,130 times
Cost of solar is getting more competitive than wind, and being non-mechanical maintenance costs should be lower. Decent wind power requires a decent height tower which requires a decent sized lot because you don't want your tower falling into neighbors property, or into your own house. Finding an electrician to fix a short in your panel wiring is a whole lot easier than finding someone to climb your 120 ft tower to grease bearings or install new prop blades. There's lots of reasons.

I'm a fan of wind turbines, but I've come to the conclusion its for people with the money to pay for new turbines with maintenance agreements, or the DIY'er with the skills to do it themselves

Old 03-30-2015, 04:28 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
I'd imagine it depends on whether your area is very sunny or very windy,if both pick the cheapest system that serves your needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology