U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 07:13 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,655,145 times

Advertisements

Thinking about this subject blows my mind and I want to know your thoughts.

Where will evolution take us? How long until our descendants consider themselves a different subspecies than us? How will they differ?

If species like dogs, dolphins, parrots and so on were given millions of years to continue evolving how would they change? Will dogs learn to speak complex language? Will other apes make clothing or cook? In what ways will other animals adapt to the world we build?

These questions don't necessarily need to be answered directly. I want to hear where you think the course of evolution will take us, other creatures or even plant life. Thank you for your ponderings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 07:51 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
3,039 posts, read 4,782,072 times
Without us (humans), it is possible, maybe even probable that another species might become advanced to point that human society became. But with us on top, natural evolution just isn't going to continue. For other species and for us. We changed (and continue to change) the rules.......

Old 03-21-2015, 10:10 PM

2,762 posts, read 2,626,206 times
Humans will grow tales that will make em better at sports !

Old 03-21-2015, 10:13 PM

2,762 posts, read 2,626,206 times
Horns also, humans need horns, without horns humans are just weird looking !

Old 03-23-2015, 02:31 AM

5,513 posts, read 2,595,775 times
OK, here's a crazy thought I've had some time back. We might evolve into two subspecies; one from the athletic types who tend to gravitate together and the other, from the not so athletic types.

Old 03-23-2015, 01:19 PM

476 posts, read 438,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
Thinking about this subject blows my mind and I want to know your thoughts.

Where will evolution take us? How long until our descendants consider themselves a different subspecies than us? How will they differ?

If species like dogs, dolphins, parrots and so on were given millions of years to continue evolving how would they change? Will dogs learn to speak complex language? Will other apes make clothing or cook? In what ways will other animals adapt to the world we build?

These questions don't necessarily need to be answered directly. I want to hear where you think the course of evolution will take us, other creatures or even plant life. Thank you for your ponderings.
11 Species go extinct every hour. Humans put a great deal of pressure on species, habitat loss, overfishing, water, food, etc.

Dogs no longer evolve through natural selection, dogs evolve through artificial selection because humans decide how to breed them.

If you observe how Humans have evolved over thousands of years, our brains have been getting bigger, and we have been losing body hair.

Humans evolved through natural selection for thousands of years, but that is no longer the case. For example, muscular men were more likely to be better hunters, survive, live, and reproduce. Women with larger breast are best fitted for nursing babies, their breast evolved different that that of men, and these traits survived and reproduced. That is why men are attracted to big breasts, and women to muscular men, we look for the best chances for survival, continue our species.

Nowadays, women and men look for other things that ensure survival of the species, financial stability. Most of the people that secure a good job is because they have education and a good IQ.

You asked how humans are going to evolve, I can tell you that humans are going to become smarter (Higher IQ) while dumb people (Low IQ) will not be able to reproduce as much as people of high IQs.

Over the long term, centuries, dumb people (IQ of 80) will not exist.

We will be able to live longer as well, 150-200 years in the next century.

Our skin will be Olive/Brown, the same as our eyes. Brown eyes are dominant over light ones.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:28 PM

5,513 posts, read 2,595,775 times
Quote:
You asked how humans are going to evolve, I can tell you that humans are going to become smarter (Higher IQ) while dumb people (Low IQ) will not be able to reproduce as much as people of high IQs.
I'm not convinced. Who have larger families? Intellectuals or labourers? The upper class or the lower class?

Humans are not evolving larger brains - our brains are getting smaller. It has been suggested that humans are dumbing down. This is quite probable considering what humans eat. What do you eat? Can you expect your children to have a better brain than you have? What are you feeding your children? Are you feeding them intelligently? Or do you give them candy? See what I mean?

Old 03-24-2015, 08:12 AM

My words are in bold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiResident View Post
11 Species go extinct every hour. Humans put a great deal of pressure on species, habitat loss, overfishing, water, food, etc.

Dogs no longer evolve through natural selection, dogs evolve through artificial selection because humans decide how to breed them.

They are still evolving.

If you observe how Humans have evolved over thousands of years, our brains have been getting bigger, and we have been losing body hair.

Right. The hair thing was touched on in a very funny episode of It's Always Sunny.

Humans evolved through natural selection for thousands of years, but that is no longer the case. For example, muscular men were more likely to be better hunters, survive, live, and reproduce. Women with larger breast are best fitted for nursing babies, their breast evolved different that that of men, and these traits survived and reproduced. That is why men are attracted to big breasts, and women to muscular men, we look for the best chances for survival, continue our species.

Nowadays, women and men look for other things that ensure survival of the species, financial stability. Most of the people that secure a good job is because they have education and a good IQ.

I'm not convinced that those things aren't still natural selection. We are "nature" no matter how evoved we have become. Picking a man with a mansion isn't entirely different than a beaver going with a better dam builder. Picking someone for financial stability isn't entirely different than a monkey picking a mate who is better at finding bananas. The reasons for choosing a mate changing doesn't make it unnatural.

Over the long term, centuries, dumb people (IQ of 80) will not exist.

We will be able to live longer as well, 150-200 years in the next century.

Our skin will be Olive/Brown, the same as our eyes. Brown eyes are dominant over light ones.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I'm not convinced. Who have larger families? Intellectuals or labourers? The upper class or the lower class?
I agree that it's hard to predict. It's possible that humans evolve in more than one direction.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:35 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,603,351 times
Distinction between species is not sharply defined. At this moment there are hundreds of higher animals (mammals, birds, reptiles) whose species classification is disputed, even though we have them in our hands to examine. And thousands, tens of thousands, of lower animals and plans that nobody even bothers to try to dispute the proper classification of.

The OP's question is like "When did people in Rome stop speaking Latin and start speaking Italian?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology