U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 04:32 AM

5,818 posts, read 4,869,448 times

Advertisements

It's about 2 years out yet but I've been anticipating this eclipse since about 2011 now. I figured I'd throw out a thread and bump it from time to time as we get closer.

Everyone in the United States has an opportunity to drive not terribly far to view this eclipse. Myself in eastern South Dakota I plan to drive anywhere along the path the skies will be clear.. from Casper WY to Jefferson City, MO.

Total Solar Eclipse 2017 - Path Through the United States

25 facts you should know about the August 21, 2017, total solar eclipse - Astronomy Magazine - Interactive Star Charts, Planets, Meteors, Comets, Telescopes

There also happens to be another total solar eclipse in 2024... two in 7 years which is pretty remarkable.
Attached Thumbnails
Total Solar Eclipse of August 2017-greatamericaneclipse_2560x1600_1-custom-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 03:18 PM

9,340 posts, read 9,900,047 times
Oregon eclipse weather report:

The expectation is for 2 million people to show up from Washington and California for the eclipse. That's almost half the population of the state of Oregon. Madras alone is expecting 200,000 people, in a town of 20,000.

Don't expect to find groceries that weekend. Don't expect to be able to get into a restaurant. Don't expect to be able to find a public bathroom, and sewage treatment plants will be overwhelmed. Roads will be so congested they will be impassable to emergency vehicles. People will die from medical emergencies that could be easily handled under normal condition.

Bring your FEMA emergency kit: food and water for 3 days, $500 in cash because the ATMs will be empty, sun screen, and any medications you need. Expect temperatures in the 90s by noon. Buy gasoline early, because the service stations will probably sell out and supply trucks won't be able to get through the congestion. The eclipse is Monday morning, and it is advisable to shelter in place until Tuesday.

The governor has activated the National Guard, which has facilities for dealing with displaced people.

I have a friend in Wyoming who says she has heard rumors of 3 million people coming, which is 3x the population of the state. That's doubtless an exaggeration. Where would they come from? Even so, plunking a million people in the desert with only urban survival skills would be a disaster.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:54 PM

9,530 posts, read 8,381,006 times
I'm surprised I'm not hearing more about this on our local news. One story about it. That's all I saw and that was last week. I'm sure as the date gets closer, it will be on the news more.

In last weeks story, it was emphasized that people should try and conserve energy because the two-minute long blackout would affect the solar grid and cause a drop in power being generated. Two minutes? Seriously? If this state can't go without two minutes of solar generated power, it's in worse shape than I knew.

The kid in me can't wait to see it, though. Time to construct one of those little gadgets used for viewing an eclipse.

Old 08-01-2017, 03:00 PM

1,661 posts, read 521,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I'm surprised I'm not hearing more about this on our local news. One story about it. That's all I saw and that was last week. I'm sure as the date gets closer, it will be on the news more.

In last weeks story, it was emphasized that people should try and conserve energy because the two-minute long blackout would affect the solar grid and cause a drop in power being generated. Two minutes? Seriously? If this state can't go without two minutes of solar generated power, it's in worse shape than I knew.

The kid in me can't wait to see it, though. Time to construct one of those little gadgets used for viewing an eclipse.
That sounds like the Y2K predictions. LOL. I'm kind of surprised by the lack of news coverage too. I guess nobody really knows what is going to happen, so it's hard to report it. I expect in the days before the eclipse we will hear a lot more about it.

I will be watching either from Lincoln Beach or Madras Oregon, or some point in between, depending on weather and traffic conditions.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:05 PM

73 posts, read 30,972 times
If you go to a planetarium modeling website, you'll likely see that most of S. America will see the eclipse. That is because they use the sun and moon distances given by NASA (and science).

If you go to NASA's eclipse modeling software, you'll see almost all of S. America will NOT see an eclipse. That is because NASA has changed the distance of these planets (closer) in their models to account for the their true distances from (the flat) earth (for this event).

These models allow you to plug in the date and time of the eclipse and show you what you'll see in the middle of S. America for example (and you also can move yourself anywhere in the world and see NASA's data doesn't agree w/ planetariums models).

Old 08-15-2017, 07:28 PM

13,437 posts, read 5,321,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
That sounds like the Y2K predictions. LOL. I'm kind of surprised by the lack of news coverage too. I guess nobody really knows what is going to happen, so it's hard to report it. I expect in the days before the eclipse we will hear a lot more about it.

I will be watching either from Lincoln Beach or Madras Oregon, or some point in between, depending on weather and traffic conditions.
Me too. I likely won't decide for sure until I see Friday's weather forecast for wetside/dryside. But Warm Springs is right on the line of totality, so I'm thinking pretty hard about that. The back country around Warm Springs is just gorgeous.

Here's a useful map - http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/maps/oregon.gif

This site isn't just for oregon, lots of useful info.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:04 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
25,828 posts, read 44,578,886 times
I saw the eclipse in 1979, using several layers of data microfiche outside my office. For me it would not be worth the bother of dealing with the nasty traffic and crowds. I'll look out my office window and see it get dark for a minute, but if I want to see the sun blocked I will look for it on TV and online. I gave two days off to two of my staff, one is going to the Oregon coast, the other to Idaho. Seems nuts to me, but it should be a nice quiet day at the office.
Many a person has gone their whole life without seeing a total eclipse, and were none the worse for it.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:06 PM

13,437 posts, read 5,321,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I saw the eclipse in 1979, using several layers of data microfiche outside my office. For me it would not be worth the bother of dealing with the nasty traffic and crowds. I'll look out my office window and see it get dark for a minute, but if I want to see the sun blocked I will look for it on TV and online. I gave two days off to two of my staff, one is going to the Oregon coast, the other to Idaho. Seems nuts to me, but it should be a nice quiet day at the office.
Many a person has gone their whole life without seeing a total eclipse, and were none the worse for it.
True. But I'm retired, and I have a tent, and it's only a 6-hour drive, so....

Old 08-17-2017, 05:27 PM

5,818 posts, read 4,869,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Just like some people enjoy thunderstorms and others roll their eyes when you bring it up because they are too busy with their interesting gossip. To each their own. 2.5 years later and here we are. Feels like it went by in a couple of days.

Old 08-17-2017, 05:56 PM

4,695 posts, read 3,793,382 times
Was reading an on-line article on my phone while I was waiting to pick up food at a restaurant today. The article was about what not to do during the eclipse.

One interesting thought line that it pursued was that hundreds of millions of people might be driving into the eclipse zone, and listed the things that could go wrong - including people watching the eclipse and losing control of their vehicles, or stopping at the side of the high way and being run over by someone else eyeballing the eclipse. From the sounds of it, it might wind up being the biggest traffic jam in history; freight companies have already scheduled their trucks to avoid the zone that day.

The take-away lesson - if you're driving there, find a safe place off the main roads to park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology