Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2015, 05:34 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,535,684 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am freaking out a little bit after learning that many people swear they would never hang around in front of a black light for fear of developing skin cancer.

I've had a black light and another fluorescent tube producing a blue light in my room for nearly two years now. I sometimes fall asleep under these things on top of spending hours in here a day, and now I am very worried.

How do I know how dangerous these are to be around casually? Some people say it's no big deal, others would never be around them. I realize they have some range in UVB which sounds even worse.

I found a link to the exacta black light bulb I have from the store I bought it from. I can't find a consumer website for the company, Blue Planet, though.

Canadian Tire - Blue Planet 13W Mini CFL Bulb, Black customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 11:44 AM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
meh. As you have undoubtedly researched by now, there are UVA, UVB, and UVC designations and that sunlight - even in winter - contains UVA. UVC is the most dangerous and is converted by phosphors into UVA in most bulbs. An exception are the UV lamps used to sanitize water or kill airborne organisms or differentiate geological samples.

Since you live in Canada, you have a deficit of UV compared to people like me, who have lived in Miami. The amount of UV put out by a 13 watt bulb is nowhere NEAR what you would get as a dose by going outside during mid-day hours.

OSHA has no specific restrictions on ultraviolet per se, but does have restrictions on ionizing and no-ionizing radiation. My gut feeling is that while I wouldn't want to be continually exposed for esthetic reasons, I don't see any real problem other than a slight increased risk of cataracts and a change in glasses prescription. I'd probably limit exposure to 8 hours or less every other day as a personal comfort level.

There are other sources of UV in actinic light sources. I once had an IDIOT manager who decided to adjust a 1000 watt xenon projector lamp while it was at operational temperature and pressure. She had a serious sunburn and some eye damage from the experience. The lights in some copy machines MAY have a strong UV component. Any solar concentrator may increase levels to a danger zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology