U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 10:07 AM

2,533 posts, read 2,695,029 times

Advertisements

That's what I thought, you got nothin'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 10:21 AM

16,851 posts, read 51,316,975 times
LOL! As opposed to the tune you sing - "I got plenty of nutthin', and nuttin's plenty for me."

Look at it this way. You are lucky. In an alternate universe you might be able to prove the existence of alternate universes...

Old 04-20-2015, 03:26 PM

15,924 posts, read 16,853,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Still waiting for some evidence that the multiverse is a fantasy. Enough of the fluff, show me some sources. Your example of Fred Hoyle I don't understand. His 1948 steady state theory went against the Big Bang and had many holes, and after the discovery of the cosmic microwave background radiation in the 1960's his brazen theory was proven incorrect.
The Multiverse is hypothetical just like parallel Universes, Tooth Fairies, aliens and UFO's subject to the conjecture and imaginations of the people who think about them...

Old 04-20-2015, 07:54 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,352,469 times
Default It's metaphysics at this point

Quote:
That's what I thought, you got nothin'.
there aren't any results supporting the multiverse theory. Its certainly can be made consistent with experimental evidence, but so can an infinite family of theories without a multiverse. I wasn't trained as a cosmologist, but I was trained to be careful about making assertions about things for which I did not have evidence.

Famous theorists (and even anonamous ones) can get away with this sort of thinking because the only way they'll likely prove something one way or another is by assuming various ideas are true and calculate the consequences of such an assumption. If they can make a prediction that is different from existing theories then experimentalists can determine which of the theories is correct.

Up to this point, however, the biggest success of string theory is that it can reproduce well-proven theories in certain limits. This is similar to General Relativity, which could reproduce Newtonian Gravity in low-energy limits. The reason GR is today considered a successful theory is that it could also make predictions that explained things that NG could not.

String theory/multiverse theory isn't at that point yet. If you listen to the wrong people some even argue that there are so many string theory variations that it is essentially impossible to experimentally disprove. If you're aware of some ST prediction I'd be happy to hear about it, but until the. I firmly consider multiverse discussions as speculation and metaphysics, and also maybe just mathematics.

Not Even Wrong

Old 04-21-2015, 04:10 PM

2,533 posts, read 2,695,029 times
Well, guess I'm alone in this thread on the idea, but that is okay. I've read many books, papers, seen many lectures on the subject, many of them very technical.. and feel pretty well informed. It definitely makes sense to me, and the progression of our scientific knowledge kind of moves in that direction. Started out thinking the universe revolved around the earth, then thought we were the only solar system, then the only galaxy, then..the only universe. I just highly doubt that everything that is everything that is everything is in 1 universe. Or maybe it is, and that 1 universe is infinite. Who knows...

But let me ask you guys do you think we live in 1 finite universe?

Old 04-21-2015, 04:34 PM

16,851 posts, read 51,316,975 times
"But let me ask you guys do you think we live in 1 finite universe?"

I know just enough to know that my positing about anything outside of this universe would have as much to do with reality as Tinkerbell's proctologist's ratings of B movies. When someone figures out how to put a window in our box, maybe I'll change my mind.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:41 PM

5,509 posts, read 2,591,975 times
Is it possible for 2 parallel universes to be exactly the same?

The OP is asking about parallel universes. i.e. universes that exist alongside ours but in a different parallel dimension. They do exist - I've seen it in the movies.

Is it possible for parallel (and identical) universes to exist in different dimensions? Outside of the movies that is.

On the multiverse, I would think there would be as many variations in other universes as there are other universes. How many galaxies in our known universe are identical? How many stars in our own galaxy are identical?

Last edited by 303Guy; 04-21-2015 at 10:50 PM..

Old 04-25-2015, 07:12 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,556,197 times
Cogito ergo sum. I am a part of only one of the universes, so the other one, lacking me, cannot be identical.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:44 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,352,469 times
Quote:
Well, guess I'm alone in this thread on the idea, but that is okay. I've read many books, papers, seen many lectures on the subject, many of them very technical.. and feel pretty well informed. It definitely makes sense to me, and the progression of our scientific knowledge kind of moves in that direction. Started out thinking the universe revolved around the earth, then thought we were the only solar system, then the only galaxy, then..the only universe. I just highly doubt that everything that is everything that is everything is in 1 universe. Or maybe it is, and that 1 universe is infinite. Who knows...

How technical? Like Bjorken and Drell technical or Elegant Universe technical?

I think we know about one finite universe. Beyond that I don't think there is compelling evidence to say anything, so I think it's better to admit that. String theory has some aspects that make it elegant and I think string theorists mistake that for being compelling enough to forgo the need for evidence.

So, while it is an intersting philosophical exercise to think about multiple and infinite universes and the consequences of such structures, I don't think it's yet a scientific one. That doesn't mean that it will never be, just that it's not yet. I think Richard Feynman said it best:

I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of uncertainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure of anything and there are many things I don't know anything about, such as whether it means anything to ask why we're here. I don't have to know an answer. I don't feel frightened not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell.

Old 05-02-2015, 03:28 AM

121 posts, read 75,615 times
Quote:

The very top physicists in the world aren't well informed about this topic. Therefore, I have my strong doubts that you are well informed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology