Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2015, 12:07 PM

678 posts, read 697,505 times

Advertisements

With the human race getting smarter year after year, i would think something like this would be in the works ( or already developed behind closed doors). Or is it still crazy to think such a thing could exsist? Ive always had this deep thought that maybe all the famous people who were so called reported 'dead" actually went into some private island. Or some type of preservation state where they could be alive for the next generation or two or maybe forever. i have random thoughts but if this were true i would defenitley take part in it knowing i could comeback 200 years later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 02:12 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
People are being frozen right now, in hopes that someday the technology will exist to bring them back to life. It's expensive. And, IMNSHO, a scam.

Will it ever be possible? I'd never say never, but it seems like a real long shot to me.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:11 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
Hey, if you can afford it and you know you're going to die anyway why not?

When Human Beings have the attitude of "it's crazy and it's a scam" ......

Just imagine what it would be like if this attitude had been pervasive throughout history...

Old 05-01-2015, 07:22 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,276,554 times
It's probably 100 years off yet but I believe it will one day be possible. Never listen to anyone who says "I can't" or "it can't be done" ... pushing the boundaries is the reason for being alive...

Old 05-02-2015, 06:25 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,791,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
People are being frozen right now, in hopes that someday the technology will exist to bring them back to life. It's expensive. And, IMNSHO, a scam.

Will it ever be possible? I'd never say never, but it seems like a real long shot to me.
Please pardon my ignorance in regards to this, but isn't it already possible to successfully cryogenically preserve and then revive human sperm? If so, then couldn't this indicate that cryogenically preserved human beings can eventually be successfully revived as well?

Old 05-05-2015, 04:16 PM

6,734 posts, read 4,413,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Please pardon my ignorance in regards to this, but isn't it already possible to successfully cryogenically preserve and then revive human sperm? If so, then couldn't this indicate that cryogenically preserved human beings can eventually be successfully revived as well?
Just because it can be done, doesnt mean it should be done.

Old 05-07-2015, 01:21 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
The sperm are alive when frozen. AFAIK, no one has chosen to be frozen before death. There's a lot involved in the death process. Once it's well begun, it is not easy to stop or even reverse it.

A spermatozoan is one cell. Not all of them survive the freezing process. A fully-developed human being has 37 trillion cells, according to the latest estimate. There are 37.2 Trillion Cells in Your Body | Smart News | Smithsonian

This estimate does not include your microbial biome, mostly in your digestive tract, which is necessary for you to function. I don't know that anyone has even tried to estimate how many of which kinds of cells must survive in order for an individual to be revived following death, but it is bound to be a very large number. And keep in mind, in order for it to be recognizably "you" who has been revived, a very high proportion of your brain cells must be revived without damage. If you've ever been so unfortunate to love a person who has had alzheimer's or a stroke, then you know what I am talking about.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:37 AM

3 posts, read 2,214 times
It may not be probable, but it is certainly possible. As others have already said, there are hundreds, if not thousands of people who have already frozen themselves (or parts of themselves at least).

Old 05-14-2015, 10:02 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,813,486 times
Technically the field you are speaking of is called cyronics and it is very real. Alcor Life Extension Foundation is a leader in this field, with many members "paying" for a big portion of the preservation fees by designating Alcor as the beneficiary of life insurance. They have over 130 preserved "patients" and over 1,000 living members.

If I become a member one day I'll definitely go for the full body preservation, I can't believe some people go for the head only preservation.

Alcor: FAQ - Basic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology