U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 11:12 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,305 posts, read 11,811,100 times

Advertisements

I don't know if y'all can get right into this article, it might require a free sign-up that gets you 3 free articles per week.
Quote:
“THE development of full artificial intelligence could spell the end of the human race,” Stephen Hawking warns. Elon Musk fears that the development of artificial intelligence, or AI, may be the biggest existential threat humanity faces. Bill Gates urges people to beware of it.

Dread that the abominations people create will become their masters, or their executioners, is hardly new. But voiced by a renowned cosmologist, a Silicon Valley entrepreneur and the founder of Microsoft—hardly Luddites—and .............. Clever computers: The dawn of artificial intelligence | The Economist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 01:15 AM

37,072 posts, read 38,285,292 times
I'm not concerned about robots taking over the world, what I do wonder about is how a capitalist society survives. The worker depends on the business for the job, the business depends on the worker having money in their pocket to buy their product. If the worker is eliminated the business cannot survive.

We are entering an era where the changes will be comparable to the industrial revolution. The difference now is the technology itself can fill the needs for just about any job. Interesting times are coming.

Old 05-11-2015, 04:05 PM

12,102 posts, read 20,351,797 times
I like Stephen Hawking but he is wrong here. We will be able to keep up we will just have to merge with the tech ourselves and become transhuman.

Old 05-11-2015, 04:52 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,305 posts, read 11,811,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'm not concerned about robots taking over the world, what I do wonder about is how a capitalist society survives. The worker depends on the business for the job, the business depends on the worker having money in their pocket to buy their product. If the worker is eliminated the business cannot survive.

We are entering an era where the changes will be comparable to the industrial revolution. The difference now is the technology itself can fill the needs for just about any job. Interesting times are coming.
Yes, that's one reason why I keep saying that reverting to pure capitalism is a very bad idea for the human race. There aren't enough jobs for everyone now (even though there were when I was very young), and there are going to be fewer over the coming decades ..... the economy will have to shift to fewer hours, more unemployment benefits, more govt jobs, easier disability standards, and maybe a base small income for everyone regardless of circumstances or work ...... I forget what that's called, but it was up for referendum vote in Switzerland a year or so ago.

Old 05-13-2015, 04:36 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,384,368 times
We've had artificial intelligence in Congress for decades.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:35 AM

33,141 posts, read 39,090,825 times
Seeing where technology has come just in the last 50 years gives pause for concern as to where it will lead in the next hundred years.Giving technology artificial intelligence could be the key to our ultimate demise as what we are doing is creating a new sentient life form..

Old 05-14-2015, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Seeing where technology has come just in the last 50 years gives pause for concern as to where it will lead in the next hundred years.
I like to frame it as last century and this century. There is lot of parallels between the industrial revolution and what will become know as the computer revolution 100 years from now. We're not even to the Model T stage yet and the rapid advancements are yet to come, people will look back at this time in wonderment at our caveman computer technology.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Yes, that's one reason why I keep saying that reverting to pure capitalism is a very bad idea for the human race.
Yes it's a very big hurdle for more reasons than one, there is a very fine line maintaining that incentive to produce during this transitional period.

Old 05-16-2015, 05:50 AM

33,141 posts, read 39,090,825 times
I got a feeling that with our propensity to allow computers to do ever more of our work and thinking some time in the future human species may become irrelevant and the computer with its artificial intelligence may stop doing what we think it should do and go off in a direction of its own choosing fulfilling its own idea of a destiny relevant to the computer and not lts bygone human masters.
I got a bad feeling about the giving of artificial intellegence to computers as ultimately intelligence is intelligence whether it is deriverd from a binary code or chemical reactions in the brains of an animal.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I got a feeling that with our propensity to allow computers to do ever more of our work and thinking some time in the future human species may become irrelevant and the computer with its artificial intelligence may stop doing what we think it should do and go off in a direction of its own choosing fulfilling its own idea of a destiny relevant to the computer and not lts bygone human masters.

On the other hand a greater part of the population will be free to pursue pursue educating themselves. I don't think that desire for knowledge will evaporate from the entire population. I often do things myself that I could pay someone to do, the question asked is "why are you doing that?" The answer is because I can. It's kind of like asking the mountain climber why he's climbing the mountain, "because it's there".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or