U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 04:20 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,126,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
...The technology behind it can be applied to anything.
Well... Watson's cognitive computing model doesn't really map well to the autonomous navigation problem when unexpected events occur.

Do I continue on this road until I reach the flaming fuel truck I can see up ahead? Do I sit here in the path of the boulder rolling down the hill? Or do I just say "to heck with it," this route looks too dangerous? A human would high-tail it out of there. The computer would travel until it decided it was too close to the heat source or it was impacted by the boulder.

The human brain has had thousands of years to become adept at navigating obstacles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 04:22 PM

9,254 posts, read 7,284,180 times
Quote:
All of which is nothing compared to answering a Jeopardy question where you have to navigate the nuances of human speech amongst many other obstacles.
Watch the tape sometime. To be fair, part of the win was reaction time. The time it takes a human to lift his arm and hit a buzzer is much longer than the instantaneous speed of a machine accessing a database.

I doubt they can program a car to handle the subtle maneuvering that happens on the road all the time.

Have they done any tests (in a closed area) where they send "jerk" drivers at the car?

Old 05-28-2015, 04:22 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
...Will be great for off roading...
If you don't mind travelling at 3MPH.

Old 05-28-2015, 04:51 PM

37,069 posts, read 38,262,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Watch the tape sometime. To be fair, part of the win was reaction time. The time it takes a human to lift his arm and hit a buzzer is much longer than the instantaneous speed of a machine accessing a database.
It had to physically push the same button just like the human players, whether it was calibrated to account for human muscle I don't know. It just illustrates the advantages a computer has, I don't think anyone is going to be concerned if a computer has an unfair advantage driving a car.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:54 PM

468 posts, read 431,884 times
Default Smart car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Just give me a car that starts with the turn of a key and will still drive after an EMP .

My newfangled, push-button start car left me in a bind when the brake sensor went-out. The car will only start when the brake is engaged, but the sensor that indicates the brake is engaged didn't work . I don't want a "smart" car - I want a reliable car.

Not so smart?? Techy stuff are great when they work, but what a nightmare they are when they do not work and have a cascading effect knocking other things out, the nightmare is just not worth it.

LESS is MORE.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:14 PM

468 posts, read 431,884 times
I want a car that has ticker signs I can activate like: YOU ARE IN THE PASSING LANE! PASS AND GET THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY....

Cops are going to give tickets for that and it is about time. When they tie up the lane and people start going around them. THAT IS DANGEROUS.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:55 PM

2,390 posts, read 2,117,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I agree with you, all I'm saying is that it will take decades before a self driving car is feasible anywhere in America...

How many hundreds of thousand of years has it taken for mankind to reach the physical and mental state it's in now?
And you are 100% wrong. Self-driving cars have driven hundreds of thousands of miles without having accidents attributed to them.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:58 PM

2,390 posts, read 2,117,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
But Watson was developed for question-answering and wouldn't be of any benefit whatsoever in autonomous terrain navigation.

Humans have the ability to recognize potential hazards and compensate for them. Computers are reactionary and respond to imminent hazards.

A human can drive along a road, see a boulder rolling down the hill up ahead, and stop before reaching that point.
A computer will drive along a road, receive an impact from a boulder, and try to recover.

And you don't think computers in cars will be developed for... driving?

As for humans having the ability to recognize potential hazards and compensate for them... computers can as well. In your example, not only could a computer detect the boulder, it could detect it and brake (or turn or otherwise avoid the danger) much quicker than a human. Reaction time for humans can be in the hundreds of milliseconds. For computers you are talking about way, way, way less than 1 millisecond. And they are only getting faster.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:46 PM

15,924 posts, read 16,847,914 times
Quote:
A computer is so far beyond you physically it's no comparison. You could never expect to beat AI in a computer simulated driving game mwhere the rules of the road are clearly defined to the computer. Your decisions and actions occur at the second level, for the computer it's at the micro second level. As long as it knows not to drive on the sidewalk it will be the superior driver.
I don't dispute the fact that a computer can outperform a human when it comes to computations...

But you have clearly and unwittingly showed showed us why autonomous vehicles are still decades away. I bolded your statement. In many situations driving is NOT clearly defined...

Quote:
As far as mentally driving is not a very complicated task, it's just reason and if we can produce a computer with enough reason to dominate on Jeopardy driving a car is no brainer... pun intended. A computer is never going to have the flaws of a human such as their mind wandering instead of concentrating on the task at hand.
And a computer (at least for quite a few decades) will not match the human brain for unseen issues...

Old 05-28-2015, 09:51 PM

15,924 posts, read 16,847,914 times
Quote:
It had to physically push the same button just like the human players, whether it was calibrated to account for human muscle I don't know. It just illustrates the advantages a computer has, I don't think anyone is going to be concerned if a computer has an unfair advantage driving a car.
As long as it's on a racetrack or somewhere where it's rules and the road it travels is <ahem> clearly defined I agree...

I'll relax more once it's shown that an autonomous car can navigate through Los Angeles traffic through the mountains to Las Vegas and drive on streets where children are playing or where bicyclists are riding...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or