U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 12:37 PM

2,410 posts, read 2,128,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
HAhahahahaha.

I love a good laugh while I enjoy my coffee on a Saturday morning while I relax on my patio!

No, robots will not replace people in love, other than some rather small, not mentally healthy subset of people who are incapable of functioning "normally" in society and with the opposite gender. With that in mind, I am sure there will be plenty of resounding "yes they will" replies in this forum!
You realize that "small, not mentally healthy subset of people" is in the millions of people in the United States. That's more people than have HIV, but AIDS research continues. That's more people than have lots of ailments and illnesses that there is still a demand for.

Will it happen? Yes, it probably will. And as time goes on, the machines will get better and better. It's comical to think that because only millions of people would prefer it (and perhaps millions more would like it as a toy) that it will not happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 01:08 PM

9,092 posts, read 2,744,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Professional View Post
Last weekend i watch the movie Ex machina
Apparently they made a robot exactly like a real woman
When she escaped in the ending she seem very real like a woman and apparently thier personality can be programmed in many ways
I felt this can somehow work one day but who knows
I know its just a movie but what do you guys think?
Can a robot who looks like a real human have a real relationship with a human?

on a long enough time line we should be able to make dental floss that can provide a meaningful and lasting relationship.

Humans as we know them are but a few short generations from being truecyborgs, how that plays out will be interesting.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:01 PM

50 posts, read 56,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I think many women would lose the baditude if a female robot was invented and they had competition haha
That's right.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:21 PM

1,235 posts, read 969,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Tolkienish Figure View Post
This question is ridiculous. Modern day AI can barely create a robot that can maneuver in a rocky field.

In the future... maybe? Why would you want a relationship with a machine?
A lot of people ARE currently in a relationship with machines (witness the ever present smartphones, laptops, etc which can contest to that)

Old 06-15-2015, 03:21 PM

2,223 posts, read 1,530,705 times
It may not replace a women but the pool man, chef, maid, and gardener should be getting nervous !

Old 06-15-2015, 05:00 PM

605 posts, read 425,674 times
What if the so-called womanoid robot needs maintenance?

That would probably be the worst job in the world (especially assuming if a filter needs to be replaced/emptied every now and then).

Last edited by beasley106; 06-15-2015 at 05:40 PM..

Old 06-15-2015, 05:46 PM

33,190 posts, read 39,219,464 times
Future sex robots would be indistinguishable from real humans and i'm sure will appeal to certain demographics,eg; those that hire hookers or get pleasure from sex toys,but for a real personal relationship i doubt they'll replace a real live humanoid. Then there will be the Holodeck technology to deal with..

Old 06-15-2015, 07:01 PM

2,815 posts, read 2,528,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Professional View Post
Last weekend i watch the movie Ex machina
Apparently they made a robot exactly like a real woman
When she escaped in the ending she seem very real like a woman and apparently thier personality can be programmed in many ways
I felt this can somehow work one day but who knows
I know its just a movie but what do you guys think?
Can a robot who looks like a real human have a real relationship with a human?

Don't know if someone already posted this but The Twilight Zone did this under the pretense of comforting those confined to solitary confinement on a distant asteroid in, The Lonely. In some circumstances and for some emotionally distraught or hurt people it could readily happen. Though, as in The Twilight Zone episode, it may not turn out so well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lo..._Twilight_Zone)

As for a robot replacing men that woman love perhaps under the right circumstance but I think most women substitute other sentient being like pets more so than a robot in form of biped.

Twilight Zone also did it for replacing a caretaker in the adaptation of Ray Bradbury's short story, I Sing The Body Electric.

[hulu=http://www.flickr.com/photos/440837]MjGTo2tobTvj1c3T7-cM3g[/hulu]

Old 06-15-2015, 07:14 PM

2,815 posts, read 2,528,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beasley106 View Post
What if the so-called womanoid robot needs maintenance?

That would probably be the worst job in the world (especially assuming if a filter needs to be replaced/emptied every now and then).
Not necessarily, it would probably have a 'consumable' revenue sales element (if you know what I mean). Change out various 'consumable' parts after so many flushes

Some marketing genius would blunder and make it like the 1970s "Baby Alive" doll?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epXhzQ85a1k

I'm imagining that customer service call now...

Client: I seem to have a defective 'model'
Customer Service: Oh, didn't the sales rep tell you Victoria's Secret model needs to have change out of certain parts on such and such cycle?"
Client: No. I bought this so I could ** whenever and however I wanted now you tell me I have to pay XYZ for new transmission and cylinder every x amount of times of use?
Customer Service: yes sir, the replacement unit come five to a box, how many would you like to order?
Client: Do you have a volume discount?

Old 06-15-2015, 11:53 PM

1,354 posts, read 588,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Majority of decent women don't need that stuff.

Guys get put in the friend zone because they're weak and have no self confidence.
Actually I think guys in the friendzone are a backup plan, as I have seen enough guys who have been in the friendzone for years and years actually marry the girl, sadly it's usually 10 years, 2 -3 kids and 40+LBS later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology