Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 10:10 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,118,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
The Japanese engineers are at the forefront of robots and AI and I've always felt a certain revulsion about it..... there's some think tank out there that came out with some study that talked about things that mimicked human behavior and as it got closer to "us" there was a certain kind of revulsion factor that came into it... it was a fascinating study and as far as I know someone won some kind of award in psychology or something along those lines.....If I give a F enough I might dig it up....

So, long answer aside... no... I have no interest in a robot replacing a human female... the thought alone is horrifying and Stepford wife material....

I'll take fallible women over robots any day........ by a long shot...
what you are talking about is called "the uncanny valley" when something looks too close to human but you brain is getting slight cues that it is not, it is believed to be a leftover instinct from an earlier time in our evolution when multiple species of hominids walked the earth, because two species close enough genetically may give each other diseases that they have no resistance too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 10:29 PM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
what you are talking about is called "the uncanny valley" when something looks too close to human but you brain is getting slight cues that it is not, it is believed to be a leftover instinct from an earlier time in our evolution when multiple species of hominids walked the earth, because two species close enough genetically may give each other diseases that they have no resistance too.
That's it.... I was too lazy to google it, but yeah, watched a documentary about AI and robotics and that subject was covered in it....

Makes sense to a degree.... at least to me it does......

Old 06-13-2015, 11:27 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,118,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
That's it.... I was too lazy to google it, but yeah, watched a documentary about AI and robotics and that subject was covered in it....

Makes sense to a degree.... at least to me it does......
but as realistic androids become common, that instinct will go away, like animals fear of humans in isolated areas. and in men our sex drives are already wired to go around other parts of the brain, including our instinct of self preservation.

Old 06-13-2015, 11:55 PM

13,641 posts, read 9,698,765 times
53 posts thus far, and nobody has mentioned Pygmalion? ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pygmalion_%28mythology%29 )

Old 06-14-2015, 04:44 AM

53 posts, read 62,567 times
I certainly think if men had the option of getting very life-like completely customizable robot women real women would start to get back to Earth and start having much more realistic expectations of life and love. For example, being far more realistic in men. Just because a guy doesn't make his life revolve around being "romantic" and buying gifts and crap doesn't make him a bad guy.

Hopefully it would stop a lot of this friend zone BS girls put guys through.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:48 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybgood12 View Post
I certainly think if men had the option of getting very life-like completely customizable robot women real women would start to get back to Earth and start having much more realistic expectations of life and love. For example, being far more realistic in men. Just because a guy doesn't make his life revolve around being "romantic" and buying gifts and crap doesn't make him a bad guy.
I'm willing to put money down that the vast, vast majority of women are completely aware of this.

Quote:
Or guys just need to get over it. This "friend zone" goes both ways, you know.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:57 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:

But what about the very lifelike completely customizable man robots who can be programmed to be romantic and buy gifts?

Old 06-14-2015, 08:51 AM

9,068 posts, read 6,300,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
But what about the very lifelike completely customizable man robots who can be programmed to be romantic and buy gifts?
The academic roots of robotics and artificial intelligence is math. Math is 100% logical. Romance is not logical. There is the distinct possibility romance and the act of selecting gifts will not be programmable.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:56 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
The academic roots of robotics and artificial intelligence is math. Math is 100% logical. Romance is not logical. There is the distinct possibility romance and the act of selecting gifts will not be programmable.
I want pink roses on my birthday and a homemade dinner of lobster enchiladas. Rub my legs and feet for 40 minutes every night. My favorite poet is Pablo Neruda. I would like to listen to Nina Simone in the evening by candlelight.

They're just instructions.

Old 06-14-2015, 03:33 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:

Majority of decent women don't need that stuff.

Guys get put in the friend zone because they're weak and have no self confidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology