U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2015, 10:31 AM

1,380 posts, read 902,312 times

Advertisements

I'm a chemistry student in an Italian university, I'm in my 3rd year. Right now I'm at the beginning of the summer exam session, and I've suddenly noticed that a lot of our books are the translation of books written in the US or in the UK. But I have also noticed that rarely we follow exactly those books, because often our professors add something or they tell us that we can jump some chapters.
So that my head likes to follow strange though-paths, I started to wonder: how the same subjects are studied in other countries? Are they the same, or some parts of chemistry are given a different importance according to your university/country?

I would start writing the subjects I study here:

I° year: total credits 58

-General and Inorganic Chemistry with lab (12 credits)
-Math I (10 credits) (functions, derivatives, integrals...)
-Physics (10 credits) (Kinematics and electromagnetism)
-English (2 credits)
-Math II (6 credits) (linear algebra, approximation methods)
-Physical Chemistry I (8 credits) (thermodynamics)
-Organic Chemistry I (10 credits) (classes of organic compounds, main classes of reactions)

II° year: total credits 64

-Analytical Chemistry with lab (12 credits) (titrations, some instrumental methods)
-Physical Chemistry II (8 credits) (atomic and molecular quantum theories, some spectroscopies)
-Physical Chemistry III (6 credits) (inter-molecular interactions, kinetic, surface interactions)
-Inorganic Chemistry (12 credits) (mainly metal complexes)
-Organic Chemistry II (12 credits) (some longer syntheses, intermediates such as carbocatios, energetic considerations, reaction mechanisms)
-Chemistry of Polymers + Chemistry of Metals (8 credits) (practically two courses in one, we studied polymers and metals)
-Biological Chemistry I (6 credits) (bio-molecules, Cellular respiration)

III° year: total credits 58

-Instrumental Analytical Chemistry with lab (10 credits) (instrumental elementary analysis, chromatographies)
-lab of Organic Chemistry (6 credits) (some practical syntheses, and something about IR, NMR and mass spectra of organic compounds)
-lab of Inorganic Chemistry (4 credits) (syntheses of metal complexes)

the other credits are for the Thesis (4 credits) and for elective subjects such as chemistry of resources, chemistry of materials, environmental chemistry, further exams in analytical, physical or biological chemistry and so on. I also did a further English exam with those credits.

After the 3rd year we end the "laurea triennale" (three-year degree), and we start the "laurea magistrale" which lasts for two additional years. Usually if we want to compare our degrees to the 4-years ones from other countries we have to take also the "laurea magistrale". So in practice we stay at the university for 5 years.

The "laurea magistrale" usually is more focused toward a specific field (such as environmental chemistry, industrial chemistry etc... or it can also remain on a more theoretical level). Anyway, all the lauree magistrali in Chemistry I know propose at least another course in any of the main fields, so organic, inorganic, physical, biological and analytical chemistry. The last semester is usually passed in the labs of the university preparing a experimental thesis.

Now, is there someone else who studies/studied chemistry? Do we study the same subjects or there are some differences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or