Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2015, 05:49 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,792,180 times

Advertisements

Garcetti et al in Los Angeles have dumped 96 million balls into a 175 acre reservoir. Aim to limit evaporation and algae formation. Cost 34.5 million. So they save maybe 6 X 175 AF of water. (1050 AF) or at a cost of 33,000. per AF saved. The savings does go on in time..bugt can it make any sense even if the balls last 10 years?

Seems to me that is buying water at 3 or 4 times the cost of desalinization.

Now if you could do the same thing with some long chain polymer at 5% of the cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 08:51 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,425,114 times
I started reading about it online. It says that the whole reservoir is enough to supply water to LA for 3 whole weeks.

Would be more interesting to find out how these balls work. The claim is that they prevent evaporation as well as a roof/cover.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:16 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,435,798 times
Graphene for desalinization will bring down cost to where it is very feasible. Methane To The Rescue! New Energy Efficient Graphene Desalination Membrane For The 99% | CleanTechnica

Old 08-12-2015, 09:32 PM

Reverse osmosis water is not really the same as fresh water that is still different from mineral water.

Reverse Osmosis water lacks trace minerals to an extend that it would kill. You have add chemicals back to it for you to be able to consume it. We use filtered rain water treated with chlorine/chloride to kill dangerous bacteria. Some further run it through activated carbon and some buy it bottled "as if" it's made differently.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:57 PM

23,586 posts, read 70,350,712 times
The balls work two ways - preventing ultraviolet from reaching the water and acting on the chemicals in it, and preventing evaporation much like any other cover. In theory, "balls" with a hexagonal shape across any axis would be more efficient, but cost would be high.

"Reverse Osmosis water lacks trace minerals to an extend that it would kill."

UTTER AND COMPLETE BS.

I don't know who you have been listening to but you have been sold the Brooklyn Bridge.

Do you have a diet ONLY of water??? Ever eat a carrot? Ever eat spinach? Ever eat meat? You don't HAVE to get trace minerals from water, any more than you have to get them from Glenfiddich. I drink primarily distilled water, which has even less mineral content than RO. I've done so for over twenty years. I ain't dead yet.

Drinking filtered rainwater is somewhat close to both distilled AND RO. You are likely to get minute amounts of sulfur and nitrogen, and depending what dust storms are around probably some silica. What studies have shown is that people who drink hard water (an excess of calcium) tend to live a little longer. All that suggests is that available calcium in the average diet is probably lacking compared to the diets of our ancestors who ate dirt regularly.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
The balls work two ways - preventing ultraviolet from reaching the water and acting on the chemicals in it, and preventing evaporation much like any other cover. In theory, "balls" with a hexagonal shape across any axis would be more efficient, but cost would be high.

"Reverse Osmosis water lacks trace minerals to an extend that it would kill."

UTTER AND COMPLETE BS.

I don't know who you have been listening to but you have been sold the Brooklyn Bridge.

Do you have a diet ONLY of water??? Ever eat a carrot? Ever eat spinach? Ever eat meat? You don't HAVE to get trace minerals from water, any more than you have to get them from Glenfiddich. I drink primarily distilled water, which has even less mineral content than RO. I've done so for over twenty years. I ain't dead yet.

Drinking filtered rainwater is somewhat close to both distilled AND RO. You are likely to get minute amounts of sulfur and nitrogen, and depending what dust storms are around probably some silica. What studies have shown is that people who drink hard water (an excess of calcium) tend to live a little longer. All that suggests is that available calcium in the average diet is probably lacking compared to the diets of our ancestors who ate dirt regularly.
RO water will wash trace minerals out of your body. So will distilled water. Even fish wont fornicate in that water !

Old 08-12-2015, 11:06 PM

23,586 posts, read 70,350,712 times
I'll break this to you gently. Fish fornicating in my drinking water is not high on my priorities for drinking water. If it turns you on, and the fish don't mind, go for it. BTW, fish won't fornicate in Glenfiddich either, AND that definitely will wash minerals out of you. Clearly fish don't have good taste (except with a nice lemon butter or sauce).

Old 08-13-2015, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I'll break this to you gently. Fish fornicating in my drinking water is not high on my priorities for drinking water. If it turns you on, and the fish don't mind, go for it. BTW, fish won't fornicate in Glenfiddich either, AND that definitely will wash minerals out of you. Clearly fish don't have good taste (except with a nice lemon butter sauce).
And Glenfiddich !

I consume enough dairy to get my calcium!

Your probably better off drinking beer then distilled water though.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:20 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,917,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
And Glenfiddich !

I consume enough dairy to get my calcium!

Your probably better off drinking beer then distilled water though.
I think you lost all credibility when you said drinking distilled water will kill you. Maybe you'll walk that statement back until you reach the truth--water with minerals seems to be a little healthier. You're not there yet, though.

Heavy water will kill you if you drink enough of it. I don't recommend isotopically fractionating your water, but distilling can be a reasonable choice.

Old 08-15-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I think you lost all credibility when you said drinking distilled water will kill you. Maybe you'll walk that statement back until you reach the truth--water with minerals seems to be a little healthier. You're not there yet, though.

Heavy water will kill you if you drink enough of it. I don't recommend isotopically fractionating your water, but distilling can be a reasonable choice.

Technically I was talking about RO water. as far as I know a physician would not recommend drinking RO water without adding Trace minerals back.

I kept a huge fish tank for many years, learned about water quality.

man, people and their attention span !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology