Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 11:03 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,255,837 times

Advertisements

As was mine.

No one is arguing but I suppose this is how you are hoping to divert the attention to the facts that I have pointed out to the nothingness that you offered in this discussion.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:31 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,251,948 times
For anyone who believes this nonsense......PLEASE do yourself a favor and watch George Carlin's great bit on "Saving The Planet". It's funny and it will make you think. And what makes it even better is that Carlin could never be classified as some right wing nut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W33HRc1A6c

Old 03-06-2016, 10:32 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
For anyone who believes this nonsense......PLEASE do yourself a favor and watch George Carlin's great bit on "Saving The Planet". It's funny and it will make you think. And what makes it even better is that Carlin could never be classified as some right wing nut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W33HRc1A6c
Thats a good one. Thanks for sharing.

Not a bad idea to enjoy life while we have one. Right?

Old 03-06-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Not a bad idea to enjoy life while we have one. Right?
Strange that you think that people who care about the Earth are not enjoying life simply because they care about the Earth and care about the damage human overpopulation and human consumption have done and is continuing to do the Earth.

You are confusing enjoying life with having awareness that the global warming caused by human activity is a serious issue that needs to be reckoned with.

To be honest I look forward to the day humans have stressed this planet to the point of human extinction.

Humans are the major forces harming this planet...the only way the balance will be returned is when the human population starts going extinct.

Sure 99.9% of all species that has ever lived has gone extinct but most of this was due to natural processes such as population genetics and demographic phenomena, habitat degradation, genetic pollution, predation, competition, and disease, coextinction, Naturally occurring Climate change.

Humans are causing forced extinctions...the day will come when it bites us in the butt.

Humans will undergo slow suffering extinction just as the polar bears and other animals are experiencing right now.

Global Warming and Polar Bears

One thing Carlin said that I totally agree with. Humans think we they so important, so self-important.

So go right ahead and gloat about global warming and how great it is for you and your kids.

Last edited by Matadora; 03-06-2016 at 01:13 PM..

Old 03-06-2016, 01:22 PM

This is exactly my stance as well. This man is one of the brightest minds of the 21st Century.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plReQcO6sz0

Old 03-06-2016, 04:47 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Strange that you think that people who care about the Earth are not enjoying life simply because they care about the Earth and care about the damage human overpopulation and human consumption have done and is continuing to do the Earth.
Nowhere have I said that others care or don't care about the Earth. All I have said is that I enjoy life as much as I can. Since I was born and am still alive in this period of global warming, I am grateful for it. And please don't start with the BS about "human consumption," because you aren't any different than the rest of us in this forum. Aren't you using a computer to post on the Internet? Do you live in a house, have a car, use utensils and plates, eat food, take warm showers. What do you think has made all of that possible for you, products that were mined, lumber that was cut, and so on...under hundreds of feet of ice?

Quote:
You are confusing enjoying life with having awareness that the global warming caused by human activity is a serious issue that needs to be reckoned with.
No, you are assuming that I am "confusing."

Quote:
To be honest I look forward to the day humans have stressed this planet to the point of human extinction.
To be honest, it is very possible that the present generations of humans won't live long enough to see the planet stressed to the point you are imagining.

Quote:
Humans are the major forces harming this planet...the only way the balance will be returned is when the human population starts going extinct.
All life goes "extinct" at one point or another. What do you think happened to Earth in previous global warming (s) when there weren't humans driving cars, farting, breathing and creating CO2, or as you say, "harming" it?

Quote:
Sure 99.9% of all species that has ever lived has gone extinct but most of this was due to natural processes such as population genetics and demographic phenomena, habitat degradation, genetic pollution, predation, competition, and disease, coextinction, Naturally occurring Climate change.
Adapt or perish, big fish eats small fish, very small life also eats small and large life. So what? Why should one worry about things that have been happening for millions of years and will continue happening into the future? Life is short, so enjoy it now. Why stressing over things that you can't control?

Quote:
Humans are causing forced extinctions...the day will come when it bites us in the butt.
"Everything" creates extinction. Animals, plants, every one of the chemical elements. Life springs from death, even from the ashes, even from animal waste. Every time you flush your toilet you are killing something, when you cut your lawn you are killing something, when you step on the ground you are killing something, but at the same time there are all kinds of organisms that live because of things you do, and even on you (mites, bacteria, viruses, and so on).

Quote:
Humans will undergo slow suffering extinction just as the polar bears and other animals are experiencing right now.
Who says the polar bear is going extinct? Take a trip to Churchill, Canada and look around. Besides that, polar bears have evolved from land bears such as brown or grizzly. If polar bears aren't able to adapt, then they will perish. What do you think happened to the dinosaurs? Humans just went out there and shot every one of them with modern rifles?

Quote:
Global Warming and Polar Bears

One thing Carlin said that I totally agree with. Humans think we they so important, so self-important.

So go right ahead and gloat about global warming and how great it is for you and your kids.
Carlin was saying that humans think that they are powerful enough to control nature

In other words, don't worry about such things, and be happy, because there is no way that you are going to change nature. As a human you aren't any more important in nature than anything else in nature. You may have watched the video, but you did not understand the meaning.

Last edited by RayinAK; 03-06-2016 at 04:56 PM..

Old 03-06-2016, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Nowhere have I said that others care or don't care about the Earth. All I have said is that I enjoy life as much as I can. Since I was born and am still alive in this period of global warming, I am grateful for it. And please don't start with the BS about "human consumption," because you aren't any different than the rest of us in this forum. Aren't you using a computer to post on the Internet? Do you live in a house, have a car, use utensils and plates, eat food, take warm showers. What do you think has made all of that possible for you, products that were mined, lumber that was cut, and so on...under hundreds of feet of ice?
Geez calm down. No where did I ever say I was not a part of human consumption. It's a fact that you as well as me were born into this "dream" that was created long before we even knew the damage that it would cause to the Earth. However the dream is not going to be easy to change but the overpopulation can be controlled. I chose not to have children (for other reasons) and have no regrets especially seeing how overpopulation is taking it's toll on us.

Overpopulation will drive us towards extinction faster than you can imagine. The effects of overpopulation are all around if you care to take an objective look around.

Quote:
To be honest, it is very possible that the present generations of humans won't live long enough to see the planet stressed to the point you are imagining.
I never once said that this generation will live to see the effects of human extinction. You misread. However if some folks like yourself were more worldly and informed about the detrimental effects of global warming on humans and animals world wide you actually have the ability to view see it now. I understand that a lot of folks have a hard time connecting the dots.

The effects of Global Warming are occurring now...it's a slow process unlike like getting hit by an Asteroid or massive Earthquake. This slow process is well on it's way. You simply need to take an objective look around...it's not hard to miss.
Quote:
All life goes "extinct" at one point or another.
Yes I have already established this and noted that extinction is a natural process caused by many things. The Global Warming that is occurring now is not a natural process. It's clear you are not sophisticated enough to understand the simple data that supports this. An 8th grader can understand a simple graph not sure why you have such difficulty with them?
Quote:
What do you think happened to Earth in previous global warming (s) when there weren't humans driving cars, farting, breathing and creating CO2, or as you say, "harming" it?
Back in the era of time when natural extinction events were occurring on Earth was during the period when Earth was still volatile and changing. It took billions of years for the earth to calm down enough to even allow for life to emerge. There are no known mass extinctions that were caused by Global Warming events in the past. There were other reasons that extinctions occurred. You seem to not be aware that the entire Solar System was different and still evolving and changing millions of years ago. What was happening to Earth back then was a result of our Earth trying to stabilize. That was millions of years ago. Once the Earth stabilized after the last mass extinction then along came humans, then the Industrial Revolution, then Overpopulation and this ties in perfectly with the Global Warming trend that we have seen since the Industrialization Era.

Pay close attention to the time after the industrial revolution up until now. It's clear you need to study up on Solar System formation and how unstable planets are for billions of years after the formation of a Solar System.

Paleoclimate
Quote:
Adapt or perish, big fish eats small fish, very small life also eats small and large life. So what? Why should one worry about things that have been happening for millions of years and will continue happening into the future? Life is short, so enjoy it now. Why stressing over things that you can't control?
This is where you naysayers miss the big picture. What we see today is not natural but human caused. What we have seen over millions of years was due to an unstable time after the formation of Earth..the Solar System was still evolving.
Quote:
"Everything" creates extinction. Animals, plants, every one of the chemical elements. Life springs from death, even from the ashes, even from animal waste. Every time you flush your toilet you are killing something, when you cut your lawn you are killing something, when you step on the ground you are killing something, but at the same time there are all kinds of organisms that live because of things you do, and even on you (mites, bacteria, viruses, and so on).
This is beyond adolescent thinking and just scientifically ignorant as well. You are mixing up killing things on a daily basis with extinction?

I have already been over what causes extinction of a species and no not everything creates extinction. I suggest you get educated about these things because it's clear you don't know what you are talking about.
Quote:
Who says the polar bear is going extinct?
I guess you missed the Press Release

15th meeting of PBSG in Copenhagen, Denmark 2009

How deniers extract a growing population from this is known only to their odd view of the world.

I know that deniers use the recovery of PB from desperately low numbers to try and pretend numbers are growing when in fact they were (Note: were) simply recovering (which is of course why they leave out the reference to why numbers grew) just as they try to ignore the recent research that shows in the bulk of PB groups (we have research for) most are shrinking, three are static and just one is growing, the others are unknown. Only a denier such as you could interpolate from this, that PB numbers are growing.

This is why the US is heading back to the caveman days. We have an over abundance of scientifically illiterate folks in the US.

Quote:
If polar bears aren't able to adapt, then they will perish. What do you think happened to the dinosaurs? Humans just went out there and shot every one of them with modern rifles?
More scientifically illiterate comments. Adaptation takes millions of years...at the rate global warming is occurring polar bears won't have the time to adapt.

Quote:
In other words, don't worry about such things, and be happy, because there is no way that you are going to change nature.
Nature is wonderful and there is no need to change nature.

Quote:
As a human you aren't any more important in nature than anything else in nature. You may have watched the video, but you did not understand the meaning.
More adolescent babel. The video was a joke and there was really no meaning to miss. I suggest you listen to the very brilliant Astrophysicists Neil deGrasse Tyson vs. a comedian if you really want to learn something.

You, your kids and grand kids are not more important than nature.

And here you have it folks. He has offered nothing but empty arguments. No credible links or data to back up his empty arguments. Yepper those deniers are so knowledgeable about nothing.
Attached Thumbnails
Global Warming.  Where are we at ?-150_years_temperature_rainfall_ar4.png  

Last edited by Matadora; 03-06-2016 at 06:42 PM..

Old 03-06-2016, 06:43 PM

Educate yourself! Start with the Paleoclimate of the Earth up until the time humans evolved and then take special note of how the once pretty stable climate began changing after the Industrial Revolution and increasing human population. See how easy this is? It's not Rocket Science.

Were you even aware that there were no Polar Caps during the Dinosaur Era? I bet that is one of many facts about the Earth and it's Paleoclimate that you didn't know. Science is very interesting is it not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJhbQIlu4mk

Last edited by Matadora; 03-06-2016 at 07:03 PM..

Old 03-06-2016, 08:10 PM

Here is a perfect example of an ignorant yelling blabber mouth ( Marc Morano) climate skeptic spewing his ignorance vs. understanding that his views are not facts. Talk about a stupid human.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWT-EWKIR3M

Sure tell us about no change in drought here in CA.

Sure tell us that the planet is not warmer.

Sure tell us that there have been no huge hurricanes in the past 50 years.

grew up on Houston and I can assure you that Alicia, Ike and Katrina were huge.

Old 03-06-2016, 08:22 PM

Now back to the real topic of the thread.

And yes we can do something about the climate issues that we are facing now. See how knowledge is a good thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB5ka418oeE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology