Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 03:53 PM

140 posts, read 124,666 times

Advertisements

You know its coming. The very first smart city. All smart cars(driverless of course),smart houses and smart phones.

Which city will be first?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 03:21 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Not in the United States. That's for sure.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:44 PM

684 posts, read 713,870 times
I agree, let's learn on mistakes of others !

Old 01-25-2016, 08:45 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,058,962 times
Whichever city it is I'm not sure one would want to live there because the residents would likely be a bunch of...um....smart-a**es....

Old 01-26-2016, 06:09 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Not in the United States. That's for sure.
Probably in Japan because the culture is different.

A smart city is not an individualistic society. Japan is such a society, the United States is not.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Probably in Japan because the culture is different.

A smart city is not an individualistic society. Japan is such a society, the United States is not.

Well... We had a nice funny thread going here and you have to come on and post a comment that is poignant, to the point, very insightful and makes a lot of sense, cause that's just how you roll, isn't it Tamara?....

Yes, a smart city would likely do better in a homogenized society. No wonder your rep points nearly equal your number of posts and you just received another one.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:43 PM

5,460 posts, read 8,180,020 times
Maybe Singapore (actually a city-state).

Under the 50 year strict rule of the recently deceased Lee Kuan Yew, often called a benevolent dictator, Singapore went from being a disease ridden Third World backwater with no natural resources to a gleaming technopolis and the world’s third major financial hub after London and New York.

If you don't like the rules in Singapore you are welcome to leave.

Singapore's artificial natural paradise

Old 01-27-2016, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Maybe Singapore (actually a city-state).

More like a Police-State

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
If you don't like the rules in Singapore you are welcome to leave.

Or just don't go there in the first place

I typed "Singapore Signs" into Google image search and below is the link to the page, scroll down and have a look. the shorter list would be what you CAN do! I do not think I could make it out of bed and down my street without racking up a year and a half of jail time and 7,000.00 in fines.

Singapore Signs

Might make a good "Smart" City due to the level of obedience and discipline but I cannot imagine any free thinking intelligent person living there. Interesting thread here in the polarity that might exist given that technological intelligence could potentially thrive best in a city such as Singapore.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:03 AM

5,460 posts, read 8,180,020 times
I wouldn't want to live there either, but the United States could still learn some things from them.

Here is Lee Kuan Lew's educational philosophy which has worked extremely well (look at international test scores) : “If I tell Singaporeans – we are all equal regardless of race, language, religion, culture, then they will say, ”Look, I’m doing poorly. You are responsible.” But I can show that from British times, certain groups have always done poorly, in mathematics and in science. But I’m not God, I can’t change you. But I can encourage you, give you extra help to make you do, say maybe, 20% better.”

Of course, if Lee were an American, he would be hounded from office for this philosophy and placed on the Southern Poverty Law Center Hate Watch.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:05 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
I imagine that the result of living in a "smart city" would be something like a combination of the movies "Equilibrium," and Minority Report, or maybe a society as told by Ally Condie in her book, "Matched."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology