U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 09:34 AM

3,531 posts, read 1,199,739 times

Advertisements

Will robots get headaches I wonder?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 10:11 AM

3,104 posts, read 1,809,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Zola View Post
Will robots get headaches I wonder?
I doubt this was a serious question, but it does hint at a couple of serious issues in AI.

(1) At what point will machines develop non-programmed/unpredictable preferences? Presumably this could happen once they become so complicated that humans no longer have precise programming control over their behaviors. Is this likely to happen in 5 years? 10 years?...
(2) At what point, if ever, will machines develop actual subjective/qualitative awareness (i.e., actually feel pain, etc., as opposed to just behaving as if they feel pain)? This second question relates to what philosophers have been calling "the hard problem" of consciousness.

And this brings us to another question, which is somewhat specific to sexbots: How would believing that a machine does, or does not, actually have feelings of affection, pain, etc. influence your own feelings of attraction or sense of companionship with the machine?

For example: If you believed that a machine actually enjoyed your company, or felt love for your, etc., do you think you might fall in love with the machine? Or do you think you could just never love a machine, no matter what types of feelings it might develop? The same question could be asked in terms of sexual arousal. Would believing that a machine has actual feelings make your more likely or less likely to feel sexual attraction for it?

Old 03-02-2018, 12:51 PM

16,058 posts, read 26,656,275 times
In my view, one's feelings usually are projected on other human beings, pets, and so on. These feelings aren't always love, nor hate, nor sexual, and so on; just emotions of various kinds depending on the situation. Then the love, or hate, or affection, whatever...one feels that it is reciprocated from another person, or pet, and so on, is just a reflection of one's emotions. In other words, such emotions are a projection of oneself as from lookin in a mirror, and as such oftentimes not true.

So yes, I imagine that one can "feel" a certain connection or reciprocity with an object, or person, or pet, or a sex doll. But is it real?

Old 03-02-2018, 01:56 PM

3,104 posts, read 1,809,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
So yes, I imagine that one can "feel" a certain connection or reciprocity with an object, or person, or pet, or a sex doll. But is it real?
Good question. If the AI is sentient (i.e., actually feels sensations, emotions, etc., as opposed to just mechanically behaving as-if it feels these things), then I don't see any basis for saying that someone's love for the robot is not "real". Basically, whatever it means to say that one person's love for another person could be "real" then, by that same standard, I think a person's love for a sentient robot would be real. (I could be wrong about this if human beings have non-physical souls and "real love" is some sort of connection between souls and if sentient robots - despite being sentient - do not have such souls. This idea was hinted at in some episodes of the TV series Humans. Personally, I don't think that there are non-physical souls and even if there are, I don't see any reason that a sentient AI couldn't have such a soul.)

I think the harder question relates to high-level AI-driven non-sentient robots. It is obviously possible for someone to love someone who does not love them back. "Unrequited love" is a major backbone of a great deal of poetry and music. But can someone be genuinely in love with something that cannot, even in principle, actually love them back? You can love your car, but can you really be "in love" with your car? This conversation implies that there is some important distinction between "being in love" and just "mistakenly thinking that you are in love." Is "being in love" a sort of thing that you can be mistaken about? Or is it like pain: If you believe that you are in pain, then you are in pain. Period. You can't really be wrong about that.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:33 AM

727 posts, read 115,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
I think this could be the year that average folks start to have significant personal experiences with robotic technologies. This article, for example, lists some things to watch for this year. Last week I saw a drone for the first time, zipping around documenting an event that I was at. But one thing I have not seen discussed very much (outside of some notable science fiction stories) is "sexy robots."
Oh, great. A robot that complains you only want it for one thing.

Or says 'not tonight, my diodes are overloaded'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology