U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 01:52 PM

16,427 posts, read 49,611,109 times

Advertisements

Somehow, I have a feeling that these will be expensive and have to be connected to the cloud, and have to have additional revenue streams to make them affordable at all. Giving Amazon my marketing preferences so they can spam me is one thing, giving them data on when I **** a robot and what my vitals were and what turned me on or off, and then having that covertly handed over to the NSA isn't something I would be particularly interested in. Besides, who wants a robot that exchanges "I have a bad network connection" for "I have a bad headache?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 08:49 AM

3,096 posts, read 1,806,411 times
I should have done more research before starting this thread; I could have included some interesting links in the OP. It turns out that my "prediction" was about six years too late. Back in 2010 a sex doll names "Roxxxy" was introduced and was claimed to be the first robot sex doll. But calling Roxxxy a "robot" is a fairly loose use of the term, and it is not quite what I had in mind - although it is a fairly credible first step. (She does not move independently.) Also, I found this article that is essentially saying the same thing that I was thinking when posted this thread:

Sex robots could be the biggest trend of 2016.

Here is one interesting quote from the article:
Meanwhile, another robotics expert has launched a campaign to ban the development of sex robots in the UK. Dr. Kathleen Richardson, a senior research fellow at De Montfort University in Leicester, has called the development of sex 'bots a "disturbing" trend that needs to be stopped. "Sex robots seem to be a growing focus in the robotics industry and the models that they draw on - how they will look, what roles they would play - are very disturbing indeed," she said.

Here is an article specifically about Roxxxy: Foxy 'Roxxxy': world’s first 'sex robot' can talk about football

A few interesting quote from the article:

The dark-haired, negligee-clad, life-size robotic girlfriend comes complete with artificial intelligence and flesh-like synthetic skin.
[...]
Standing five feet, seven inches tall, the doll weighs 120 pounds, comes with five “personalities”, is “ready for action” her developers said.
[...]
Coming with a laptop the doll, priced between US$7,000 (£4,350) to US$9,000 (£5,993), was unveiled at the AVN Adult Entertainment Expo in Las Vegas at the weekend.
Douglas Hines, the robot’s football loving inventor, said the real aim was to make the doll someone the owner can talk to and relate to.
[...]
The sex robot is available in Europe and the United States and will eventually be available all over the world.

And, for course, there is this famous dancing robot video - which is one of the things I had in mind when I said that we already have the basic technologies needed to creates sexy robots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C9XBQmlGbo&feature=player_embedded

Last edited by Gaylenwoof; 02-10-2016 at 09:04 AM..

Old 02-15-2016, 09:24 PM

8,496 posts, read 8,699,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
I suspect that most people think "yuck" - a sex robot would be creepy and hardly anyone, other than some fringy weirdoes, would ever want one, so no one is going to make the investments to bring them to market, so we won't see sex robots for a long time.
I think "yuck" , can you imagine have sex with a scabbie disease ridden street prostitute. Or even "yuck" , going to Las Vegas and sharing a $10,000 beautiful prostitute with three of your work colleagues.

It's the world's oldest profession, so why shouldn't every technology eventually eventually become a commodity for sex. Do you really believe that all the Star Trek holo-decks would all be used for conversations with a re-animated Mark Twain?

Old 02-16-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
It's the world's oldest profession, so why shouldn't every technology eventually eventually become a commodity for sex. Do you really believe that all the Star Trek holo-decks would all be used for conversations with a re-animated Mark Twain?
I'm not sure if you are talking to me, specifically, or to the people who would think "yuk" but, just to be clear: My central prediction (outlined in my opening post) is that a lot of people will want to have sex with robots, and some will fall in love with them. My hope for this thread is to discuss all aspects of this.

Technologically/economically: What is a likely time-frame? I suspect it will be over the next 5 years, but I wouldn't be too surprised if some "next generation" sex robots hit the market this year. (i.e., "Roxxxy" plus independent movement of her limbs).

Sociology: As a sci-fi writer, I like to speculate on what types of social impacts this technology will have. (Both robot technology in general, and "sexy robots" in particular.)

Philosophy/psychology: Are there any important ethical questions that need to be considered, once robots in general, and sexy robots in particular, start hitting the market?

Obviously these questions have been explored in fiction. Some very recent examples that I have enjoyed:

Robot & Frank

Her (more A.I./V.R. that "robot", but some of the same general principles apply)

Ex Machina

Old 02-23-2016, 04:03 AM

8,496 posts, read 8,699,700 times
Quote:
As a sci-fi writer, I like to speculate on what types of social impacts this technology will have. (Both robot technology in general, and "sexy robots" in particular.)
"Helen O’Loy" is a science fiction short story by Lester del Rey originally published in 1938 in Astounding Science Fiction. It is possibly the oldest sci-fi story about love between a man and a robot.

Once could argue that it is just a variant of Pygmalion from Ovid's narrative poem Metamorphoses (8 AD), in which Pygmalion was a sculptor who fell in love with a statue he had carved.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:17 AM

These are not sexy robots, but...wow!... they are amazing:
The Latest Generation Atlas Humanoid Robot Is Absolutely Incredible | TechCrunch

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/robots/a19584/boston-dynamics-new-atlas-robot/

Last edited by Gaylenwoof; 02-24-2016 at 08:15 AM..

Old 02-24-2016, 07:56 AM

5,151 posts, read 3,465,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Somehow, I have a feeling that these will be expensive and have to be connected to the cloud, and have to have additional revenue streams to make them affordable at all. Giving Amazon my marketing preferences so they can spam me is one thing, giving them data on when I **** a robot and what my vitals were and what turned me on or off, and then having that covertly handed over to the NSA isn't something I would be particularly interested in. Besides, who wants a robot that exchanges "I have a bad network connection" for "I have a bad headache?"
LOL! Yeah, for the robot to do certain things would require "Additional Fees".

Old 02-24-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
LOL! Yeah, for the robot to do certain things would require "Additional Fees".
There will probably be something like "downloading apps" and paying for upgrades. I also suspect that "robot prostitution" and general robot renting will be fairly common, since the upfront purchase costs will probably be rather high for the first few years. You will probably want to make some money by renting your robot for mundane jobs so that you can afford the extra apps and upgrades.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:17 AM

3,299 posts, read 1,619,844 times
A woman with an 'OFF' button?

Hmmm....

Yeah. That'd sell.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:23 AM

3,299 posts, read 1,619,844 times
Quote:
Obviously these questions have been explored in fiction. Some very recent examples that I have enjoyed:

Robot & Frank

Her (more A.I./V.R. that "robot", but some of the same general principles apply)

Ex Machina
And a couple older examples that stick in my mind:

The Lonely - The Twilight Zone Wiki - Wikia

My Living Doll (TV Series 1964
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology