U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 08:11 AM

3,088 posts, read 1,804,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
For one thing, if such bots happened to be "human" enough to replace our need for human companionship - the bot can satisfy all of our mental, emotional, and physical desires, then so could they be used for the work place..
I agree with you that they will eventually compete with us for most types of jobs, but I don't think that sexy robots will need to be full A.I. Our current level of natural language processing and general machine intelligence is already good enough for sex robots to become big-selling tech toys, if someone would combine this tech with warm, skin-like material and other realistic-looking human features. Such a machine would certainly not be taken for being a real human, and it would not pass a Turing Test for more than a minute of conversation, but I think that plenty of people would want them and some people would start to emotionally bond with them.

Down the road a bit further, then, yes, you are right. They will start to do a wide variety of human jobs, and it will become increasingly easy to grow emotionally attached to them. We need to think about how we are going to deal with this. I don't think that simply banning the creation of such machine is a good idea, and I don't think it would work, even if we tried. So we need to start figuring out way to co-exist with them.

Anyway, I'm predicting sexy robots within 5 years (maybe as soon as this year). But I'm less certain what to say about full A.I. Maybe 20 or 30 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 10:53 AM

930 posts, read 477,102 times
"Humans" is a British tv show about androids. Better than average. Season two should start airing sometime this year. HUMANS - AMC

Old 02-29-2016, 11:56 AM

3,007 posts, read 4,709,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
"Humans" is a British tv show about androids. Better than average. Season two should start airing sometime this year. HUMANS - AMC
Yeah Humans does dabble into robot prostitution as well as the movie AI.

I think that we're still years away from these sorts of things.

The hurdles are:

1. Life-like bodies. Right now we're still in the uncanny valley of flesh and texture. There is no heat/warmth etc. Eyes are still dead and lifeless, and this I think will be the biggest initial hurdle. Mouth movements are difficult for even CGI animators.

1b. The mechanics. Even if we do create a good body, we still would need it to walk and act human; which would be another step.

2. Personality. This might initially be easier. A cloud based system in a few years like Google's search or Alexa will recognize colloquial speech and could possibly have a one way conversation.

2b. Two way conversations will be harder and will be the basis for sentience.

This is where the moral questions would come in.

I just re-watched an episode of TNG: The Quality of Life (episode - Memory Alpha - Wikia)

And Data thinks these beings are sentient and alive. They look like crude machines, yet Data is willing to sacrifice Picard and Geordie for them.

I think it would be a quick decision for humans of the future to grant the "right" robot sentience. Once we elect our first robot to Congress, then I'm sure we'll start to see #robotlivesmatter and the discontinuation of things like sexy robots...that is unless they choose to remain sexy robots.

Old 02-29-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. It looks interesting. I added season 1 to my Netflix queue.

Old 02-29-2016, 02:10 PM

809 posts, read 514,799 times
perhaps if you ask her in a way that makes it seem like "her" idea, she can bring home one of her robot friends to join in too

you know..... a "menage a machine"

Old 02-29-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
I think that we're still years away from these sorts of things.
Agreed. Androids that can pass as human are probably at least a decade, if not several decades, away. But all of the basic technologies needed for a first generation of androids already exists. All that is required is for someone to integrate all of these technologies into a single product. These first-generation androids would not be "indistinguishable from humans" but they could be human-like enough to create a lot of interest and establish a market.
Quote:
The hurdles are:
1. Life-like bodies. Right now we're still in the uncanny valley of flesh and texture. There is no heat/warmth etc.
This is one technology that I have not seen applied yet (although I have not specifically looked to see if any prototypes exist). Still, compared to the achievements already in robot movement and machine intelligence, this "body warmth" technology should be relatively easy. Probably the biggest problem will be that heating will drain the batteries rather quickly.
Quote:
Eyes are still dead and lifeless, and this I think will be the biggest initial hurdle. Mouth movements are difficult for even CGI animators.
This is mostly a matter of eye movement and surrounding tissue micro-movements mimicking human expressions. Some amazing advances have been made on this. For example: LiveLeak.com - Robot mimics human emotions

Quote:
1b. The mechanics. Even if we do create a good body, we still would need it to walk and act human; which would be another step.
I posted these links earlier. Incredible balance and walking skills:
The Latest Generation Atlas Humanoid Robot Is Absolutely Incredible | TechCrunch

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/robots/a19584/boston-dynamics-new-atlas-robot/
Quote:
2. Personality. This might initially be easier. A cloud based system in a few years like Google's search or Alexa will recognize colloquial speech and could possibly have a one way conversation.

2b. Two way conversations will be harder and will be the basis for sentience.
I suspect that full natural language skills may be still a decade away, but we already have enough for a first generation of sexy robots. I posted these links earlier:

AI robot that learns new words in real-time tells human creators it will keep them in a “people zoo”

Foxy 'Roxxxy': world’s first 'sex robot' can talk about football

Old 03-04-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
And one more thing, we mentioned all the "upsides" to having a sexual relationship with a fleshy robot. What happens when we're so disconnected with other humans, physically, that we'd rather have sex with a human like robot who we have programmed to adore us "unconditionally", then we lose the need for human companionship. Eventually, the human race starts to die off because nobody is reproducing. The human race would eventually shrink to nothing anyway, because who wants to hire humans who are flawed and less efficient than a robot?
In wondering if this might be a potential "blessing in disguise". A major concern has been exponential human population growth. Currently over 7 billion and expected to be nearly 10 billion by 2050. Increased population combined with efforts to increase standards of living around the world, imply incredible levels of resource usage and potential for environmental damage. If, in fact, sexy androids lead to a "natural" drop in rates of human reproduction, we might avoid the prospects of a massive die-off and/or considering government-imposed sterilization, etc. I'm not sure that androids will necessarily cause a drop in human population rates, but if they do, perhaps it could turn out to be a benefit, of sorts?

Imagine this: Android females introduced in large numbers to impoverished areas with high rates of population growth. (Poorest areas tend to have highest birth rates.) Suppose the rental cost of these machines is kept low enough so that poor people can afford them. This could be seen as a way for wealthy people to suck additional financial resources out of poor populations, with the added benefit of dropping birth rates in these areas.

The ideal might be: androids move in to a poor area to help the poor (revitalize the local economy with skills, etc., and making money that benefits the local economy). The more likely reality: android move in under the pretense of helping the poor, but the money they earn gets immediately snatched up by the wealthy foreign owners of the Androids, leaving the local population is continued poverty. In either case, the birth rate could drop.

At this point I'm not advocating anything, one way or another, I'm just brainstorming possible ways in which androids might impact human life - for better or worse - once we start mass producing them - which could be within 10 years (and probably a lot sooner for mere "sexy robots" with roughly the "intelligence" of Siri and some programming devoted to "sex toy" movement capabilities).

Old 03-04-2016, 09:38 AM

809 posts, read 514,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
In wondering if this might be a potential "blessing in disguise". A major concern has been exponential human population growth. Currently over 7 billion and expected to be nearly 10 billion by 2050. Increased population combined with efforts to increase standards of living around the world, imply incredible levels of resource usage and potential for environmental damage. If, in fact, sexy androids lead to a "natural" drop in rates of human reproduction, we might avoid the prospects of a massive die-off and/or considering government-imposed sterilization, etc. I'm not sure that androids will necessarily cause a drop in human population rates, but if they do, perhaps it could turn out to be a benefit, of sorts?

Imagine this: Android females introduced in large numbers to impoverished areas with high rates of population growth. (Poorest areas tend to have highest birth rates.) Suppose the rental cost of these machines is kept low enough so that poor people can afford them. This could be seen as a way for wealthy people to suck additional financial resources out of poor populations, with the added benefit of dropping birth rates in these areas.

The ideal might be: androids move in to a poor area to help the poor (revitalize the local economy with skills, etc., and making money that benefits the local economy). The more likely reality: android move in under the pretense of helping the poor, but the money they earn gets immediately snatched up by the wealthy foreign owners of the Androids, leaving the local population is continued poverty. In either case, the birth rate could drop.

At this point I'm not advocating anything, one way or another, I'm just brainstorming possible ways in which androids might impact human life - for better or worse - once we start mass producing them - which could be within 10 years (and probably a lot sooner for mere "sexy robots" with roughly the "intelligence" of Siri and some programming devoted to "sex toy" movement capabilities).

Well, she will have to be able to do the laundry too

Old 03-04-2016, 09:43 AM

My main concern: I think we are very, very quickly moving into a transhuman (hopefully not "posthuman") world. The literal integration of human and machine ("cyborg" tech, etc.) is probably a couple of decade away - especially where brain/AI tech is concerned - but the integration of robots and androids into everyday life will probably start within a year or two, and probably start to really blossom with 10 years. Virtual Reality tech will also be skyrocketing soon, which will be yet another mind-boggling array of transformations. The two techs will probably emerge hand-in-hand with "telepresence" tech.

Keep in mind that, aside from just general curiosity, I am also writing a sci-fi novel that is set in the present and near future (up to around 2060), so I'm brainstorming to see if I can find any horses that have not already been beaten to death by sci-fi up to this point. I'm pretty sure the future will surprise us. I'm trying to dig up ideas for possible surprises that sci-fi fans have not already thought of. If you think of a really cool new idea that has not already been used in fiction, and I use it in my novel, I will be very happy to reference you in my list of acknowledgements.

Last edited by Gaylenwoof; 03-04-2016 at 09:55 AM..

Old 03-04-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsportpilot View Post
[/b]
Well, she will have to be able to do the laundry too
The first generation (1 to 5 years) probably will not have many practical applications beyond sex toy and relatively low-level "conversation" for amusement (roughly like Siri). The second generation (5-15 years) will probably start to have some incredible physical skills. (A lot of this basic tech already exists, but fine-tuning, mass producing, establishing markets, etc. - that's what will take a decade, or so.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology