U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 08:19 PM

7,082 posts, read 10,920,595 times

Advertisements

Look at it this way. Forewarned is forearmed. First, you have to figure that you're interesting enough to cross the radar anyway, which you probably aren't. But even if you were, then obviously if you were really in the mood not to be tracked via your mobile device (at least your primary one), you'd be able to avoid that. Although unlikely, it's plausible that you left your phone at home, or that it accidentally fell into that care package you sent to overseas soldiers (plugged into a huge spare battery with the signal still on). Whoops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2016, 08:20 PM

4,570 posts, read 1,751,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kode View Post
Apparently tracking secretly started in 2010. The government has detailed maps on every cell phone user.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...fac_story.html

https://www.eff.org/issues/cell-tracking

Report: iPhones secretly track their users' locations - CNN.com

When is it too much?
Aren't all cell phones sort of like gps? The cops can use them to locate you, if you're missing. Criminals destroy them, if they kidnap you, because they know the phones can be followed. Cops use the towers you ping off of to know where you made a call from.

I thought this was common knowledge.

As for the govt secretly tracking everyone, I doubt they track EVERYONE. There's too many people. They are zeroing in on some people, I presume.

If you liked the Patriot Act, then you like the tracking of cell phones. That started the govt spying on us without having to get a judge to approve it.

If we have to get national IDs, we will then become what I used to see in old b&w movies, when ordinary German citizens walking down the street were stopped by the SS for some reason, and the citizens had to show their "papers." When I was a kid, that seemed so horrible. So fascist. I also wondered what kind of papers those were. Because in America, things like that didn't happen. Then the Patriot Act happened, and all that changed.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:28 PM

5,553 posts, read 1,662,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
I'd say it's been about 8-10 years since phones have been using E-911 which allows this chip.

If you have a phone 10 years or older, you'd have to manually load it onto a network with your SIM Card, or forge an ESN to activate on Sprint or Verizion as they will not allow non E-911 phones to run on their network.

I hold a minor concern that these new phones without having removable batteries are going to be harder to turn "off" than we think.

Some cell phones can be turned on remotely, or so I have been told, so turning it off may not be enough for some phones.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:28 PM

2,496 posts, read 561,339 times
Yes, you must remove your battery, if you don't want to be tracked. They can ping your phone, even if it's turned-off, if it has a live battery. Or, you can do what I do, which is to put my phone inside a slim, slightly-curved, metal cigarette case, that's designed to fit comfortably in a pants pocket. There would be no incoming calls, but I don't want to be bothered by those, anyway.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Aren't all cell phones sort of like gps? The cops can use them to locate you, if you're missing. Criminals destroy them, if they kidnap you, because they know the phones can be followed. Cops use the towers you ping off of to know where you made a call from.

I thought this was common knowledge.

As for the govt secretly tracking everyone, I doubt they track EVERYONE. There's too many people. They are zeroing in on some people, I presume.

If you liked the Patriot Act, then you like the tracking of cell phones. That started the govt spying on us without having to get a judge to approve it.

If we have to get national IDs, we will then become what I used to see in old b&w movies, when ordinary German citizens walking down the street were stopped by the SS for some reason, and the citizens had to show their "papers." When I was a kid, that seemed so horrible. So fascist. I also wondered what kind of papers those were. Because in America, things like that didn't happen. Then the Patriot Act happened, and all that changed.

The location accuracy is close enough to hit you with a rock . There has already been talk, years ago, of having people "chipped" so they can be tracked and verified. Its only a matter of time before they bring it up again, considering all the killings and mayhem across the Country. They will likely try to sell the idea under "National Security."

My Parents where both under Nazi occupation and my Father was in a German POW camp for 4 years before being liberated. Everyone had to have "Papers" issued by the Germans that verified where you lived and who you where. You could be asked at any time to produce them on demand. You also had to have them when traveling, and a stated reason for travel. Even their own Soldiers where stopped at random by German Field Police, who wore Military Uniforms and silver medallions around their necks, and held ranks of lieutenant or better. If stopped they had to produce papers that stated why they happened to be there and not with their units. No papers, and they would shoot them as deserters.

The trend is leaning toward this type of surveillance today. Cops now seem to want to know where you have been and where you are going, when they stop you on the road. More information than they are entitled to, by Law. Its not going to get any better, either. Get used to it.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Yes, you must remove your battery, if you don't want to be tracked. They can ping your phone, even if it's turned-off, if it has a live battery. Or, you can do what I do, which is to put my phone inside a slim, slightly-curved, metal cigarette case, that's designed to fit comfortably in a pants pocket. There would be no incoming calls, but I don't want to be bothered by those, anyway.

And that may not be enough either. If your close to a tower, and the case is not grounded, it could act as an antennae on a resonant frequency multiple of the operating frequency, which is high, has penetration power, and could still broadcast your location.

Old 09-24-2016, 10:36 PM

23,213 posts, read 33,055,012 times
Who cares? If you do, get a grip.

So what if the feds are capturing all my crap? It's just that. They can spend time, money, and effort on it and gain absolutely nothing for it.

Companies can cookie me all they want. Again, who cares? I buy what I need. They can barrage me with advertisement all they want. If I don't need or care to buy what they are advertising - I won't.

There are a lot of people freaking out over a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. Unless you are doing illegal activities the feds don't give a damn about you or your life. If you're a sucker for every idiot spam email and pop-up ad that's your fault.

Old 09-25-2016, 01:42 AM

786 posts, read 256,403 times
Go visit all your Muslim friends and see if the Gov't doesn't put you on some list.

Old 09-25-2016, 01:43 AM

24,344 posts, read 10,703,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald
Or wrapping it in tinfoil would also work..... (Many layers)

Why do you think they didnt want LEAD paint being used anymore on houses????? -- BECAUSE THIER SPY SATTELITES,etc cannot see thru it!! (Thats ultimately why)

Old 09-25-2016, 08:43 AM

6,690 posts, read 14,874,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
DENG OP Most Americans don't care. Not only the government tracks your every move on a cell phone (your gender, sexual orientation, purchases, income etc.), but private companies do this with abandon to try sell your information to advertisers. One of the companies I interviewed for did this. Tons of foreign nationals tracking US cell phone users every move, storing the information in vast databases and sharing it with all and sundry, for financial gain.

It is not news. In fact, I'd worry less about the government doing this since they do not have any profit motive. Unless they somehow start to think you are a terrorist. The congress passed laws some years ago that allows them to put American citizens in jail without trial if they are suspected of terrorism.

Here you go: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...etention-obama
indefinite detention of alleged terrorists That's not the America I know, but for some reason people who live in this country no longer seem to care about their rights and freedoms. Nobody bats an eyelash about this, even though there is no set in stone definition about what constitutes "a terrorist."
Uh, what about something more current? Your article from The Guardian was from 2011 and so much has happened since that was written. Like court action that shut this down. Are you really saying this is still continuing without carefully issued warrants?

NSA Phone-Data Collection May Be Illegal, But Terrorists Stopped Using Phones Long Ago

And before someone points out the link to Despite Obama's NSA Changes, Info still being Collected, that was Obama's attempt to skinny things down before the courts and Capital Hill enacted new law.

NSA's phone spying program ruled illegal by appeals court | Reuters

US appeals court rules that NSA phone surveillance is not authorized - Business Insider

Snowden gave America a black eye. He knew he would be accused of treason, yet he proceeded to reveal all (right or wrong, that's still a debate) knowing what was being collected and how was against the law. What I found sad, Snowden knew it was wrong, but it took a court to tell the NSA they over-stepped. Are they still listening? Yes, but only with warrants. Look at the trouble the FBI went through getting the San Bernardino phones unlocked. If the NSA was still listening and recording, a tape would have been far less problematic. So do I believe they've stopped recording everyday America? Absolutely. After all, there are many wanna-be Snowdon's watching and waiting to report the next misstep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology