Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 11:48 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,074,907 times

Advertisements

I'd say it's been about 8-10 years since phones have been using E-911 which allows this chip.

If you have a phone 10 years or older, you'd have to manually load it onto a network with your SIM Card, or forge an ESN to activate on Sprint or Verizion as they will not allow non E-911 phones to run on their network.

I hold a minor concern that these new phones without having removable batteries are going to be harder to turn "off" than we think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2016, 01:09 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,913,903 times
Not quite accurate. Though, I have to say after seeing Snowdon and the way everything was laid out, it goes without saying the abuse of power was full throttle. It may have started in the Bush era, but Obama expanded the abilities and the scope of what was later declared illegal activity. And that is what the OP omitted. The listening may have been rampant in 2013, but in 2015, reform turned off the ability to legally listen unless certain warrants were obtained.

Old 09-24-2016, 01:32 PM

7,634 posts, read 8,705,627 times
Keep the phone shut down except when making/expecting calls.

Old 09-24-2016, 02:18 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,398,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Meh I don't particularly care that much. You can turn the GPS off on your phone as it does suck battery power. I'm not doing anything super illegal though so I don't have much to hide. In fact I must like the idea that people are who they say they are, having the gold star on their driver's license, etc. I'm sure certain people can still forge all this information for a price though.
DENG OP Most Americans don't care. Not only the government tracks your every move on a cell phone (your gender, sexual orientation, purchases, income etc.), but private companies do this with abandon to try sell your information to advertisers. One of the companies I interviewed for did this. Tons of foreign nationals tracking US cell phone users every move, storing the information in vast databases and sharing it with all and sundry, for financial gain.

It is not news. In fact, I'd worry less about the government doing this since they do not have any profit motive. Unless they somehow start to think you are a terrorist. The congress passed laws some years ago that allows them to put American citizens in jail without trial if they are suspected of terrorism.

Here you go: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...etention-obama
indefinite detention of alleged terrorists That's not the America I know, but for some reason people who live in this country no longer seem to care about their rights and freedoms. Nobody bats an eyelash about this, even though there is no set in stone definition about what constitutes "a terrorist."

Old 09-24-2016, 02:23 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,398,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
I'd say it's been about 8-10 years since phones have been using E-911 which allows this chip.

If you have a phone 10 years or older, you'd have to manually load it onto a network with your SIM Card, or forge an ESN to activate on Sprint or Verizion as they will not allow non E-911 phones to run on their network.

I hold a minor concern that these new phones without having removable batteries are going to be harder to turn "off" than we think.
Most people don't know this either. That is true now. I'm starting to think that most public schools are so bad on purpose. You can "turn off" your computer or cell phone etc. There is no guarantee it is actually off. Ha ha ha. Even if you unplug it, or it runs out of battery power (or it SAYS it has run out of power, any developer can make a device show whatever they want with software), there may be internal batteries that have enough power to still store data.

Old 09-24-2016, 02:50 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,371,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Think about it. Even if they want to track me how are they ever going to find anything? You have to understand how much information they have to store. Sifting through it to peek in on someone like me is ridiculous.

I am never, ever, going to worry about it.
This notion has been around for many decades..It all goes back to "Big Brother" society. Those movies made all about the future and how government's will not just track you..but force everyone to follow certain behaviour or get off'd or removed! Man..I remember watching them back in the '50's and '60's.

Normal everyday people even today with advent of Electronic Tracking that accessible not by just your Government, but by Corporations, Advertising agency's ( cookies/non-ediable kind LOL), App's that allow them to track you..the list is endless. Does it not occur to you all that those wanting to fall off the "GRID" move to REMOTE and cut off ALL exposures to electronic access. Some even go back to smoke Signals.. ala How tribes communicated

If anyone actually is so paranoid..and believes the "Alt-Right" conspiracy theories..They are doomed to distrust/and pre-emptively everybody..even neighbours or people deemed too friendly or too helpful..YOU KNOW>>Everybody out there has an AGENDA Point is..indulging and absorbing such targeted fear mongering..after a while..those will see evil or BAD BAD intentions in just about everything/everyone they come in contact with!

In short, it's called "Propaganda" ~ Government isn't perfect..and in many cases they are way behind..usually because of cutbacks and budgeting .. But to believe Government can track every person..is a fantasy and ridiculous assumption! Yep..Most electronic communications are based on IP addresses..so..given the Hackers and ability to follow transmission routing thru various Countries before it arrives to you lowly computer..surely tells you something. Gov. in general are so BEHIND..IF so adept..why do their sites get hacked? The thought they are in control is absurd.

Old 09-24-2016, 03:48 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Wow, if they are tracking me, they must really have a lot of time on their hands.

Old 09-24-2016, 04:34 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times
I think every Iphone and Android user - all but the stupidest - are aware of this.

But can these phones can be turned on and off remotely without an installed
AP and without the knowledge of users?

Old 09-24-2016, 06:23 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times
Thumbs down *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kode
Apparently tracking secretly started in 2010. The government has detailed maps on every cell phone user.
Yes and its amazing all the sheeple WHO DONT CARE THIS IS GOING ON!!!!

I wont ever have one of those spy phones!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains
Keep the phone shut down except when making/expecting calls.
Wont make any difference unless you can take the battery out! (Alot of newer ones DO NOT let you remove the battery)

Old 09-24-2016, 07:25 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,821,115 times
Not me.

The only apps I use are the native apps, I download none, and dismiss all update notices. "Location unknown" appears on the bottom of the google screen, and that's how I like it. When I visit sites and see the cryptic So-and-so needs to know your location, I think to myself, "No, you don't," and simply proceed.

The only ones getting tracked are those who don't care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology