U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 09:14 AM

410 posts, read 1,779,594 times
Default red blinking light on tower

a friend exchanged my computer for one he had and my printer is attached to it. It is downstairs with a monitor and upstairs i have a laptop that i use all the time. To print I need to have that other one on and now it just keeps blinking a red light. I turned off the switch for a few minutes and thought maybe it would go back to normal but when I hit the button to turn it on it flashed green and went to flashing red. Is this it or is ther something i can do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 12:30 PM

18,876 posts, read 21,133,427 times
More info please:

Brand and model of computer with the red light.

Is there a symbol on the case next to the offending light?

Does the computer boot at all? Anything on the screen?

Old 02-26-2008, 01:18 PM

2,238 posts, read 6,252,669 times
We also need to know how many times it's blinking -- it will blink a certain number of times and then pause for about 2 or 3 seconds. Then it should blink again... Could be something really easy, could be a piece of hardware that needs replacing.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:02 PM

410 posts, read 1,779,594 times
It's called a Compaq, and the blinking just goes on and on. Where the green light for on is, it's doing this red blinking thing. No I can't use the c omputer but I am fine with the laptop.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:00 AM

994 posts, read 1,217,894 times
be sure to add the hardware provided by the printer onto the laptop. Typically the red flash will indicate that there is no known cpus within its area to recive requests from.

It could also be that the printer is out of ink, paper, or not properly put together.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosa View Post
It's called a Compaq, and the blinking just goes on and on. Where the green light for on is, it's doing this red blinking thing. No I can't use the c omputer but I am fine with the laptop.
Okay...that's like telling the mechanic "My car is a Ford, what's wrong with it?" The mechanic needs to know what kind of Ford it is.

You have a Compaq, but there are MANY different types and models. In order to tell you what the light means, we have to know what model the computer is. Even a serial number would help, just give us something to work with.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:27 PM

931 posts, read 1,633,914 times
I'd venture to say the power supply on the computer is toast. Take the PC to a shop and have them test it.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:45 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,730,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Okay...that's like telling the mechanic "My car is a Ford, what's wrong with it?" The mechanic needs to know what kind of Ford it is.

Actually just saying it's a Compaq says quite a bit. Like most HP computers they just don't work right, which is why I gave my HP away. The last 2 HP computers I had, had a problem with the south bridge.

The only red light I know of is the HDD activity light. I'd unplug all the devices, CD, Hard Drive, Floppy, and see what happens. If it starts up and things pop up on the screen, then the power supply is getting weak.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzou View Post
Actually just saying it's a Compaq says quite a bit. Like most HP computers they just don't work right, which is why I gave my HP away. The last 2 HP computers I had, had a problem with the south bridge.

The only red light I know of is the HDD activity light. I'd unplug all the devices, CD, Hard Drive, Floppy, and see what happens. If it starts up and things pop up on the screen, then the power supply is getting weak.
I happen to actually do warranty service on a lot of HP computers. Different numbers of flashes can and do mean different things. Beeps along with the flashes mean things as well. So do any codes you might get if you can watch the POST sequence. He might have something as simple as an unplugged heatsink fan, or something as drastic as a deader mobo. Can't start pointing him in the right direction without at least minimal info.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:32 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,730,164 times
You mean HER, right?

Why does everyone assume everyone is a guy?

Besides, if it is not powering up, you should try start with the bare minimum devices. If that doesn't even happen, then, you can rule it down to the motherboard or the power supply, test another power supply, if it doesn't power up still, that's when I'd say a dead board.

It's easier for me and more fun to try with NO info and work backwards. Then to think I have to know everything to get it working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology