U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2016, 12:55 PM

2,378 posts, read 4,342,346 times

Advertisements

When I was small (this was like 1974) I put a small refrigerator magnet on our TV screen. It damaged that area of the screen and was the wrong color.

What would happen if you put a small magnet like that on a flat screen TV? Or, near your desktop computer, or an Iphone?

I was also told never to put magnetic tapes on a large stereo speaker. It would damage the tape. Do speakers today give off magnetic forces that can affect things? I do know millions of people have speakers next to their computers and nothing happens.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 02:33 PM

2,901 posts, read 1,928,267 times
Modern TV's and monitors do not use a CRT (tube), so no would not be affected by a magnet.

Speakers still use magnets and would adversely affect magnetic tape. There is not really any magnetic media used anymore unless you have an antique computer that use floppies or tape. Mechanical hard drives (not SSD's) are sealed and actually use magnets to store the data. It is unlikely any magnet you would have close to it would affect them directly.

Are Modern Computers Still Vulnerable to Damage via Magnets?

Old 10-24-2016, 04:55 PM

16,841 posts, read 51,286,023 times
That tv could easily have been fixed with a degaussing coil. I just put a strong magnet near my monitor screen. Nada. It surprised me that my little ASUS laptop/fliptop has a pretty strong magnet in it. Not sure what it is there for but its there.

Old 10-25-2016, 12:06 AM

26,884 posts, read 38,123,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
When I was small (this was like 1974) I put a small refrigerator magnet on our TV screen. It damaged that area of the screen and was the wrong color.

What would happen if you put a small magnet like that on a flat screen TV? Or, near your desktop computer, or an Iphone?

I was also told never to put magnetic tapes on a large stereo speaker. It would damage the tape. Do speakers today give off magnetic forces that can affect things? I do know millions of people have speakers next to their computers and nothing happens.
Fans. When I was the Sys Admin for a company (and again when I was consulting) I ran into users not understanding that placing a fan close to a CRT monitor would cause fluctuations in the screen. There was one where the monitor was on one side of a cubicle wall and the monitor on the other. Five, count 'em, five supposedly senior techs at a bank couldn't figure it out. I was walking by the cubicle one day and saw it. I asked the user why he didn't ask the the person in the other cubicle to move their fan. They had no idea what I was talking about until I walked around the corner and turned off the fan.

They messed with one user by changing the speed of the fan while he was away from his desk. He was the office jerk and deserved it.

Somewhere in these forums is the story about hard drive problems that couldn't be solved until I told them to move the computer out of the room. Got a rash of crap from engineers and the owner of the company. I was called an idiot in a meeting by him. Never got a single apology after moving the computer solved the problem. A-holes. One of many reasons I hate engineers.

Turned out all the power lines for entire building ran up the wall right behind the computer.

Old 10-30-2016, 10:11 PM

684 posts, read 446,360 times
Lol, I am looking at plans for a small EMP device right now I was gonna hack a stun gun, but learned they are illegal in my state

Old 10-30-2016, 10:22 PM

6,235 posts, read 5,384,329 times
Computer speakers are magnetically shielded.

Old 11-02-2016, 12:27 PM

I'm specifically afraid of my smartphone touching the magnetic gasket on my fridge, or the freezing units in the store.

My friend came over and waved a degaussing coil near the TV, but it didn't help. He may have done something wrong as he was about 14.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:06 PM

I have a cabinet with magnets on the doors (to make sure the doors stay shut), a few feet from my computer and router. I was afraid it might do something to my computer and router. So far I've been okay.

Old 03-08-2018, 02:25 PM

292 posts, read 260,299 times
Quote:
Old CRT/picture tube type televisions had what was called a "shadow mask" at the face of the tube
which made sure the electron beam from one of the 3 guns in the rear of the tube (one each for RED, GREEN, BLUE) only hit the correct color phosphor on the front/face side (Sony Trinitron tubes used thin strands of wire which served the same purpose). Since it was a 'low power' refrigerator magnet, using a degaussing coil might have fixed it, but a larger magnet might be enough to cause the shadow mask to physically bend out of shape (since it is made of metal), causing permanent
damage and causing the wrong colors to show up. My younger sister took a bar magnet to our TV back in the day to see all of the strange and wonderful things it did to the screen, but of course this damaged it.
Years later that same TV took a surge from a close lightning strike; I heard the snap right when the
bolt hit outside, and the whole screen took on a sickly green color. A few weeks later, the set gave up the ghost.

Quote:
Most likely nothing since LCDs/OLED are a very different technology and not generally affected by magnets.

Quote:
That's because stereo speakers back then were almost never shielded and the woofers especially contain
big permanent magnets. Computer speakers were often designed to hang off the sides of a CRT monitor, and are shielded to prevent distortion to the picture. I wouldn't assume that all of these speakers
are still shielded because CRTs and removable floppies/magnetic discs are almost never used with modern computer equipment, and hard drives are usually shielded/protected enough to not be affected by the magnets in the speakers. Companies love to cut costs, so newer computer speakers might not have shielding.

Old 03-27-2018, 01:50 PM

235 posts, read 181,162 times
Quote:
I have a cabinet with magnets on the doors (to make sure the doors stay shut), a few feet from my computer and router. I was afraid it might do something to my computer and router. So far I've been okay.
You'll still be fine even you placed your computer and router right next to that magnet. Your smartphone too. These aren't affected by magnets. Mechanical hard drives might depending on how large and strong the magnet is but should be fine with the typical magnets found around a computer desk (computer speakers).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology