Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 02:28 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times

Advertisements

Some polls are designed to influence the person being polled. these are called 'Push Polls". In effect they are propaganda.

I receives several polls this election. I answered all of them a dispassionately as I could. The one I verbally exploded at was sponsored by the NRA. It was a blatant push poll and I let the pollster know it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 11:02 PM

307 posts, read 363,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post

If people MUST poll during elections, preferably just ask me who I will vote for. Nothing more. You don't even have to give me a list of candidates. Don't ask me questions about the economy (unless that is all you want to know), don't ask me my age or my income or my sex or my 'ethnicity'. If you need to understand the demographics I will answer some of those questions but I will NEVER tell you my race/ethnicity (nor will I comment about that of others either). I will tell you every time that that question is divisive and unfair to everyone. I won't tell you my income or income source either (even the range) because that introduces bias in my opinion. I will probably always tell you I am female and well into my 60s. My marital status also has nothing to do with my personal opinion - never has, never will. I am my own person. I am also a major skeptic - and I think that is a good thing. I will let you ask me why I am that (skeptic).
Thanks for the response Aery11. The reason why the pollsters are asking you that is to identify certain data points used in data science/analytics. As annoying as that might seem those areas are all traditional analytics parameters as they apply to political elections. Ideally, those data points are integrated with the poll results from millions of people, fed into a very powerful computer, and used in effecting a prediction. But like I said, that's with everything being equal.

What I find that perplexing is that this far into the digital age that their is no answer which has emerged from experts other than to say "we just didn't know how the people where actually going to vote". I don't fret at all about who won or lost, what boggles me is that the field of data science is something applied to a vast landscape of areas including sports, climate, healthcare, law enforcement, etc. So if data science "misses the road" in one area (in this case politics), and the fix is not found, chances are it will miss the road again in another area when presented with an identical situation. So now are you seeing my point?

So in the history of political elections this is the first time this type of bias in polling has manifested? Have the experts in that field not identified situations in which there will be bias and designed effective checks against them?

These are question marks that need to be filled or else then the people we watch in suits and ties in CNN and other major outlets who throw numbers in our faces are just "putting on a show"

Speaking from the solutions side of the discussion I will say though, that I had the opportunity to discuss this very subject with a university professor with significant credentials that happens to teach the subject. He said that the root cause of the statistical anomaly was that the wrong type of data gathering (polling people by phone, etc.) was used in obtaining the data. In order to effectively identify the much talked about "silent majority" the best mode of data gathering would have been focus groups instead of the traditional polling.

Hopefully other experts in the field would read this discussion and also chime in because data science is as important of a field as transportation, law, or biology. You can imagine what would happen if a certain medication was applied to a patient to treat a specific ailment without taking into account other peripheral elements such as temperature, past medical history, location, etc. The stakes then would be much higher because it would be a matter of the patient living or "taking the 'ole dirt nap" as some people put it.

Last edited by HighSpeed; 11-14-2016 at 11:37 PM.. Reason: added punctuation

Old 11-18-2016, 10:48 AM

684 posts, read 713,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSpeed View Post
Did 2016 US Election break the rules of data analytics? I was just highly curious about this since all the data gathered leading up to the election favored one candidate but the other ended up winning. Just posing this question as the field of data science is relatively new.

I've seen various people identify various components of analytics as the area that was "overlooked" by experts causing the unexpected result.
The data antics that I have performed suggest that major news channels are biest and do not report the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology