U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 07:07 AM

11,674 posts, read 17,988,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If your solar sytem is net metered it's reliant on fossil fuel generation.
My goal is to be off the grid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2016, 11:23 AM

684 posts, read 285,867 times
The equipment that is required to be off the grid, is made from materials that are fossil fuels and are not easily degradable. Where I live we use electricity from nuclear reactor, but most of US territory gets electricity from burning coal. So basically you buy an electric car to have it fueled by burning coal.

Nuclear plants have high start up cost but low maintenance.

I like wind mills over solar panels.

Old 11-20-2016, 01:28 PM

6,265 posts, read 5,218,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regima View Post
Climate change may be escalating so fast it could be 'game over', scientists warn | The Independent

We seem to be near ending up in a loop, a chain-effect, as cannot be stopped, when it gets warmer and more emissions gets up so it will be warmer and so on.

For our children, time to tell Donald Trump, or he knows and will tell soon?
It is too late. My Snowball effect is already taking place that i have talked about for years. Within 30 years there will be no more winters in my part of FL as the planet will see rapid warming. Just the last 10 years alone should tell anyone it is too late.

Old 11-21-2016, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
It is too late. My Snowball effect is already taking place that i have talked about for years. Within 30 years there will be no more winters in my part of FL as the planet will see rapid warming. Just the last 10 years alone should tell anyone it is too late.
I plan on being alive in 30 years so i will see if you are right.

Old 11-21-2016, 09:42 PM

15,157 posts, read 23,538,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
That's good news for Alaska. Maybe 30 years from now we can have a beach-front in Anchorage where thousands of students can come for spring break

Old 11-25-2016, 12:01 AM

8,776 posts, read 2,742,380 times
Quote:
Here is the scenario you need to meet with wind and solar. It's 0 degrees out in the Northeast, it's cloudy, not much wind, utilities are hitting record demand overnight and it's going to stay like that for the next two weeks. This scenario is not implausible.

Trying to meet this demand with solar and wind by itself is going to make your capacity and storage requirements spiral out of control. Suppose you have requirement to power one 20 watt light bulb, you buy a solar panel that has enough capacity to do this. During an ideal day you can power it for about 8 hours, what about the other 16 hours? Now you need 3 panels and enough storage for two of them. Next day is cloudy? Now you need 6 panels and storage for 5 of them. You can see where this is going, yes?

This would require massive deployment of new infrastructure AND the further you send electric the more that is lost in transmission. Even if such an area could provide somewhat reliable power generation how much do you want to bet on that? This isn't some kind of game where you can say "oops!" if it cannot meet demand.

If you are going to advocate for taking fossil fuels out of the mix what I would suggest is advocating for things that can reliably provide base power. Nuclear, hydro or even the possibility of geothermal.
True.

You should have been invited to attend this TED talk:
https://www.ted.com/talks/debate_doe...nuclear_energy

Wind and solar advocates often "hand wave" away the serious intermittency problem. Until there's an economical way to store massive amounts of electricity for windless and sunless periods, wind and solar will not be able to make up the backbone of the electricity generation system: http://physics.ucsd.edu/do-the-math/...sized-battery/

Germany tried a massive deployment of wind and solar, and it didn't free them from reliance on fossil fuel power plants or significantly reduce their CO2 emissions:
http://www.economist.com/blogs/econo...st-explains-10

Last edited by Freak80; 11-25-2016 at 12:10 AM..

Old 11-25-2016, 09:09 PM

17 posts, read 4,514 times
Humans 'don't have 10 years' left thanks to climate change scientist | World | Newshub

Old 11-26-2016, 08:10 AM

So you argue we only have 10 years left? Then why even worry about climate change just enjoy life till then?

Old 11-26-2016, 08:21 AM

4,754 posts, read 1,170,895 times
Quote:
Here is the scenario you need to meet with wind and solar. It's 0 degrees out in the Northeast, it's cloudy, not much wind, utilities are hitting record demand overnight and it's going to stay like that for the next two weeks. This scenario is not implausible.

Trying to meet this demand with solar and wind by itself is going to make your capacity and storage requirements spiral out of control. Suppose you have requirement to power one 20 watt light bulb, you buy a solar panel that has enough capacity to do this. During an ideal day you can power it for about 8 hours, what about the other 16 hours? Now you need 3 panels and enough storage for two of them. Next day is cloudy? Now you need 6 panels and storage for 5 of them. You can see where this is going, yes?

This would require massive deployment of new infrastructure AND the further you send electric the more that is lost in transmission. Even if such an area could provide somewhat reliable power generation how much do you want to bet on that? This isn't some kind of game where you can say "oops!" if it cannot meet demand.

If you are going to advocate for taking fossil fuels out of the mix what I would suggest is advocating for things that can reliably provide base power. Nuclear, hydro or even the possibility of geothermal.
Stop... you are making sense again and destroying others fantasies.

Old 11-28-2016, 06:02 PM

17 posts, read 4,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
So you argue we only have 10 years left? Then why even worry about climate change just enjoy life till then?
Bad link. I'll come back with another one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology