Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 01:55 AM

531 posts, read 758,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regima View Post
Climate change may be escalating so fast it could be 'game over', scientists warn | The Independent

We seem to be near ending up in a loop, a chain-effect, as cannot be stopped, when it gets warmer and more emissions gets up so it will be warmer and so on.

For our children, time to tell Donald Trump, or he knows and will tell soon?
Actually, it is in our advantage if you believe that than you may need to consider this we are heading toward an iceage. A paper was published recently that sun is heading toward less flare stage. Google it. I have not the link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 02:46 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,115,284 times
It's a scam. My school social studies textbook said all the rainforest would be gone in 1999. With the trees gone, we would loose 1/3rd of the earth's oxygen and we would all be ghasping for air. This was pre-global warming. A friend is an environmental lawyer who makes oodles and oldles. I'm convinced this whole thing is a hoax to scam the taxpayer out of vast sums of money under the illusion that this money is going to fix some world ending prediction. Anyway I've been called a heretic denier before so I'm sure someone will be along again to insult me.

Smog on the other hand is/was real. That's what started this whole thing.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:41 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Meanwhile it's a little cold in Fairbanks, Alaska (around -30 degrees already), and according to the skeptics:
Record cold coming to ‘almost entire USA’ – Low temperature records set to be SHATTERED | Climate Depot

Old 12-01-2016, 11:06 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiverMeTimber View Post
It's a scam.

Smog on the other hand is/was real. That's what started this whole thing.
I would be willing to bet that anyone in this thread who says it's a scam or not true have absolutely no science literacy. That's not an insult but a real fact. There is no way a person can understand the basics of science and say such a thing. It does not require even being a science buff either. Just the ability to read and interpret graphs and understand what's causing the results on the graph are all that's required.

Graphic: Global warming from 1880 to 2013

Old 12-03-2016, 12:56 PM

531 posts, read 758,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I would be willing to bet that anyone in this thread who says it's a scam or not true have absolutely no science literacy. That's not an insult but a real fact. There is no way a person can understand the basics of science and say such a thing. It does not require even being a science buff either. Just the ability to read and interpret graphs and understand what's causing the results on the graph are all that's required.

Graphic: Global warming from 1880 to 2013
Diminishing solar activity may bring new Ice Age by 2030
https://astronomynow.com/2015/07/17/...e-age-by-2030/

Old 12-04-2016, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k81689 View Post
Diminishing solar activity may bring new Ice Age by 2030
Little ice age’ headlines are misleading

Quote:
It’s easy to find MANY headlines wrongly stating the conclusions too solidly, and wrongly. One study does not make for such a solid conclusion. It’s an interesting idea but it does not mean to ignore global warming. The earth’s climate is very complex and many factors are in the mix. It’s a mistake to make such overly simplistic and sensational pronouncements.
Be careful what you read out there.

Old 12-04-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Little ice age’ headlines are misleading

Be careful what you read out there.
So, what you read "out there" and post in here is more scientifically correct than the press release from the scientists at the Lomonosov Moscow State and other Russian Universities?

Last edited by RayinAK; 12-04-2016 at 02:11 PM..

Old 12-04-2016, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
So, what you read "out there" and post in here is more scientifically correct than the press release from the scientists at the Lomonosov Moscow State and other Russian Universities?
No I actually do my homework and research.

I also don't dismiss the consensus among Academies of Science from 80 countries plus many scientific organizations that study climate science. More specifically, around 95% of active climate researchers actively publishing climate papers endorse the consensus position.

The 97% consensus on global warming

Old 12-05-2016, 07:44 PM

Quote:
No I actually do my homework and research.

I also don't dismiss the consensus among Academies of Science from 80 countries plus many scientific organizations that study climate science. More specifically, around 95% of active climate researchers actively publishing climate papers endorse the consensus position.

The 97% consensus on global warming
Oh! Perhaps you misunderstood? I was saying the following: So, what you read "out there" and post in here is more scientifically correct than the press release from the scientists at the Lomonosov Moscow State and other Russian Universities?

Quote:
The arrival of intense cold similar to the one that raged during the “Little Ice Age”, which froze the world during the 17th century and in the beginning of the 18th century, is expected in the years 2030—2040. These conclusions were presented by Professor V. Zharkova (Northumbria University) during the National Astronomy Meeting in Llandudno in Wales by the international group of scientists, which also includes Dr Helen Popova of the Skobeltsyn Institute of Nuclear Physics and of the Faculty of Physics of the Lomonosov Moscow State University, Professor Simon Shepherd of Bradford University and Dr Sergei Zharkov of Hull University.
I can only assume that the scientists above performed their own research before publishing the report. Just because they don't go along with the consensus does not mean that they are wrong.

Last edited by RayinAK; 12-05-2016 at 07:54 PM..

Old 12-05-2016, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Oh! Perhaps you misunderstood? I was saying the following: So, what you read "out there" and post in here is more scientifically correct than the press release from the scientists at the Lomonosov Moscow State and other Russian Universities?

I can only assume that the scientists above performed their own research before publishing the report. Just because they don't go along with the consensus does not mean that they are wrong.
Yo need to realize that journalists in these online "science" magazines twist the heck out of the real stories. Which is why it's always best to get your hands on the actual published paper and read it for yourself.

Here is what she apparently said before the science journalists of UPI translated it into Moranese, the lingua franca of the Mooniverse and Murdochland:

Quote:
Abstract

The aim of this paper is to derive the principal components (PCs) in variations of (i) the solar background magnetic field (SBMF), measured by the Wilcox Solar Observatory with low spatial resolution for solar cycles 21-23, and (ii) the sunspot magnetic field (SMF) in cycle 23, obtained by SOHO/MDI. For reduction of the component dimensions, principal component analysis (PCA) is carried out to identify global patterns in the data and to detect pairs of PCs and corresponding empirical orthogonal functions (EOFs). PCA reveals two main temporal PCs in the SBMF of opposite polarities originating in opposite hemispheres and running noticeably off-phase (with a delay of about 2.5 yr), with their maxima overlapping in the most active hemisphere for a given cycle. Their maximum magnitudes are reduced by a factor of 3 from cycle 21 to 23, and overlap in the Northern hemisphere for cycle 21, in the Southern one in cycle 22 and in the Northern one again in cycle 23. The reduction of magnitudes and slopes of the maxima of the SBMF waves from cycle 21 to cycle 23 leads us to expect lower magnitudes of the SBMF wave in cycle 24. In addition, PCA allowed us to detect four pairs of EOFs in the SBMF latitudinal components: the two main latitudinal EOFs attributed to symmetric types and another three pairs of EOFs assigned to asymmetric types of meridional flows. The results allow us to postulate the existence of dipole and quadruple (or triple-dipole) magnetic structures in the SBMF, which vary from cycle to cycle and take the form of two waves travelling off-phase, with a phase shift of one-quarter of the 11 yr period. Similar PC and EOF components were found in temporal and latitudinal distributions of the SMF for cycle 23, revealing polarities opposite to the SBMF polarities, and a double maximum in timing.

Finally, the Washington Post weighs in with an article that lays the controversy to rest. A reporter who took the trouble to get comment from climate scientists.

No, Earth is not heading toward a ‘mini ice age’

Zharkova refuses to say whether or not she is a climate change denier. No word about whether or not she believes in evolution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology