U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2016, 03:37 PM

15,264 posts, read 23,939,582 times

Advertisements

Meanwhile in Canada:
Extreme cold weather snap contributes to 3 electricity records in Alberta | Globalnews.ca
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 04:24 PM

7,103 posts, read 2,360,453 times
Meanwhile most scientists agree that we need to differentiate between weather and climate.

The NOAA defines climate as the average of weather over at least a 30-year period.

So periodic aberrations—like the harsh winter storms ravaging the Southeast and other parts of the country this winter—do not call the science of human-induced global warming into question.

Old 12-10-2016, 05:33 PM

28,805 posts, read 27,317,911 times
I wonder how relative this will be in regards to efforts to slow warming....Not good I'll bet.

WASHINGTON — Rex W. Tillerson, the chief executive of Exxon Mobil, whose extensive deal-making for the energy giant has plunged him into global politics from Yemen to Russia, is expected to be offered the secretary of state post this weekend by President-elect Donald J. Trump, according to two people close to Mr. Trump’s transition team.... http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/10/us...ate-trump.html

Under Rex Tillerson's leadership, ExxonMobil struck oil this summer drilling in Russia's Arctic region, despite U.S. sanctions against Kremlin-controlled partner ...

Old 12-10-2016, 05:49 PM

9,879 posts, read 4,965,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regima View Post
Climate change may be escalating so fast it could be 'game over', scientists warn | The Independent

We seem to be near ending up in a loop, a chain-effect, as cannot be stopped, when it gets warmer and more emissions gets up so it will be warmer and so on.

For our children, time to tell Donald Trump, or he knows and will tell soon?
I stopped reading when they said Climate Change since before the beginning of time was due to Donald Trump in the first paragraph.

Old 12-10-2016, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I stopped reading when they said Climate Change since before the beginning of time was due to Donald Trump in the first paragraph.
The article says no such thing.....No, you stopped reading because you are anti climate science, or maybe just anti science period.

Old 12-10-2016, 06:53 PM

9,879 posts, read 4,965,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The article says no such thing.....No, you stopped reading because you are anti climate science, or maybe just anti science period.
"And that, according to one of the world’s most renowned climatologists, could be “game over” – particularly given the imminent presence of climate change denier Donald Trump in the White House"

Hey it's game over, why even bother? I'm taking my solar panels down and buying an F-350.

Old 12-11-2016, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Meanwhile most scientists agree that we need to differentiate between weather and climate.

The NOAA defines climate as the average of weather over at least a 30-year period.

So periodic aberrations—like the harsh winter storms ravaging the Southeast and other parts of the country this winter—do not call the science of human-induced global warming into question.
As I said before, the temperature changes that I have posted are regional, not global.

Old 12-11-2016, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
"And that, according to one of the world’s most renowned climatologists, could be “game over” – particularly given the imminent presence of climate change denier Donald Trump in the White House"

Hey it's game over, why even bother? I'm taking my solar panels down and buying an F-350.
Good idea. If you can afford a Ford F-350, go for it. Enjoy life to the fullest while you can

Global warming feels a lot better than freezing your rump during a period of global cooling

By the way, these guys got a taste of regional cooling:
http://dailycaller.com/2016/12/08/gl...ter-cold-snow/

Last edited by RayinAK; 12-11-2016 at 12:22 AM..

Old 12-11-2016, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Good idea. If you can afford a Ford F-350, go for it. Enjoy life to the fullest while you can

Global warming feels a lot better than freezing your rump during a period of global cooling
You have a choice...You don't have to live in Alaska. Why not move south?

Old 12-11-2016, 12:47 AM

7,103 posts, read 2,360,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
As I said before, the temperature changes that I have posted are regional, not global.
As I said before, scientists agree that we need to differentiate between weather and climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology