Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 10:20 AM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
OSLO - Sea ice off Antarctica and in the Arctic is at record lows for this time of year after declining by twice the size of Alaska in a sign of rising global temperatures, climate scientists say.

Polar sea ice the size of India vanishes in record heat | INFORUM
Antarctic sea ice has not shrunk in 100 years.
Quote:
Antarctic Sea Ice Has Not Shrunk In 100 Years Antarctic sea ice had barely changed from where it was 100 years ago, scientists have discovered, after pouring over the logbooks of great polar explorers such as Robert Falcon Scott and Ernest Shackleton. Experts were concerned that ice at the South Pole had declined significantly since the 1950s, which they feared was driven by man-made climate change. But new analysis suggests that conditions are now virtually identical to when the Terra Nova and Endurance sailed to the continent in the early 1900s, indicating that declines are part of a natural cycle and not the result of global warming. –Sarah Knapton, The Daily Telegraph, 24 November 2016
No matter what I think I believe I can find articles explaining in great detail how I am wrong. Or right. Your article looks as credible as mine and yet they say two different things.

As I see it, the problem is one of funding. The organizations who exist to sell articles or are funded by public money always find reasons to keep doing more research to investigate ever more mysterious events. Which means they must have more money.

If Inforum (your source) printed an article that said, "All is well; nothing has changed", who would read it?

It's sort of like the "population growth is out of control" meme. It's nonsense and plenty of people know it. But it just doesn't sell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2016, 11:45 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
As I see it, the problem is one of funding. The organizations who exist to sell articles or are funded by public money always find reasons to keep doing more research to investigate ever more mysterious events. Which means they must have more money.

If Inforum (your source) printed an article that said, "All is well; nothing has changed", who would read it?

It's sort of like the "population growth is out of control" meme. It's nonsense and plenty of people know it. But it just doesn't sell.
As you see it is completely wrong.

What's amazing is that it's easy to do a bit of research on these subjects. Unfortunately most don't know how to conduct research or even understand the data.

If you are not aware most people in the US and in the world are not scientifically literate...not even at a basic level.

Old 12-24-2016, 08:15 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
It it's game over why try to stop it from getting worse?

Old 12-24-2016, 05:58 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Antarctic sea ice has not shrunk in 100 years.
Not true....

Antarctic sea ice......Average extent in November was 14.54 million square kilometers (5.61 million square miles). This was 1.0 million square kilometers (386,000 square miles) below the previous record low of 15.54 million square kilometers (6.00 million square miles) set in 1986 and 1.81 million square kilometers (699,000 square miles) below the 1981 to 2010 average.

Arctic Sea Ice News and Analysis | Sea ice data updated daily with one-day lag

Since you don't accept my previous link (inforum) Try this one from the scientists that actually keep track of the ice.

Old 12-25-2016, 01:43 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
The darn scientists creating confusion. Who is one to believe?
https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard...er-than-losses

Wish you a nice and warm Christmas everybody.

Old 12-25-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
The darn scientists creating confusion. Who is one to believe?
https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard...er-than-losses
The scientists are not creating confusion...it's the darn readers of the article who are creating their own confusion.

Quote:
“We’re essentially in agreement with other studies that show an increase in ice discharge in the Antarctic Peninsula and the Thwaites and Pine Island region of West Antarctica,” said Jay Zwally, a glaciologist with NASA Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland, and lead author of the study, which was published on Oct. 30 in the Journal of Glaciology.

“Our main disagreement is for East Antarctica and the interior of West Antarctica – there, we see an ice gain that exceeds the losses in the other areas.” Zwally added that his team “measured small height changes over large areas, as well as the large changes observed over smaller areas.”
Then he goes on to say...
Quote:
But it might only take a few decades for Antarctica’s growth to reverse, according to Zwally. “If the losses of the Antarctic Peninsula and parts of West Antarctica continue to increase at the same rate they’ve been increasing for the last two decades, the losses will catch up with the long-term gain in East Antarctica in 20 or 30 years -- I don’t think there will be enough snowfall increase to offset these losses.”
There is good and bad news in this article.
Quote:
“The good news is that Antarctica is not currently contributing to sea level rise, but is taking 0.23 millimeters per year away,” Zwally said. “But this is also bad news. If the 0.27 millimeters per year of sea level rise attributed to Antarctica in the IPCC report is not really coming from Antarctica, there must be some other contribution to sea level rise that is not accounted for.
For more accuracy we need to wait until they develop a more accurate measuring tool.
Quote:
To help accurately measure changes in Antarctica, NASA is developing the successor to the ICESat mission, ICESat-2, which is scheduled to launch in 2018. “ICESat-2 will measure changes in the ice sheet within the thickness of a No. 2 pencil,” said Tom Neumann, a glaciologist at Goddard and deputy project scientist for ICESat-2. “It will contribute to solving the problem of Antarctica’s mass balance by providing a long-term record of elevation changes.”

Old 12-25-2016, 03:23 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Did you read all the articles NASA has published regarding the Antarctic ice shrinking/growing? These are in the link I posted above. As I reader, what does one is supposed to believe from the scientists who publish the reports? I am not a scientist.

That said, for the time being I let you and the other scientists argue about the antarctic ice, global cooling/warming, and the sky falling. I just sit back and enjoy the remainder of this Christmas into the new year, and many more to come... hopefully while this wonderful global warming period takes place.

Old 12-25-2016, 04:59 PM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
I will believe the "Alarmists" of the Church of the Warming Planet when they exhibit common sense solutions to the purported AGCC/AGW.

1. Cease subsidizing waste, and penalizing frugality.
2. Encourage only the construction of superinsulated, low fuel consumption housing.
3. Transition from the automobile / petroleum / pavement mode to the electric traction rail mode of land transport. [Up to 90% savings in fuel consumption]
4. Construct dikes and levees around threatened shorelines. [See Netherlands]

Old 12-25-2016, 05:02 PM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
TOP TEN WRONG PREDICTIONS

1. Biologist Paul Ehrlich predicted in the 1970s that: “Population will inevitably and completely outstrip whatever small increases in food supplies we make,” and that “The death rate will increase until at least 100-200 million people per year will be starving to death during the next ten years.”
2. In January 1970, Life reported, “Scientists have solid experimental and theoretical evidence to support…the following predictions: In a decade, urban dwellers will have to wear gas masks to survive air pollution…by 1985 air pollution will have reduced the amount of sunlight reaching earth by one half….”
3. In January 2006 Al Gore predicted that we had ten years left before the planet turned into a “total frying pan.” We made it.
4. In 2008, a segment aired on ABC News predicted that NYC would be under water by June 2015.
5. In 1970, ecologist Kenneth E.F. Watt predicted that “If present trends continue, the world will be about four degrees colder for the global mean temperature in 1990, but 11 degrees colder by the year 2000, This is about twice what it would take to put us in an ice age.”
6. In 2008, Al Gore predicted that there is a 75% chance that the entire north polar ice cap would be completely melted within 5-7 years. He at least hedged that prediction by giving himself “75%” certainty.
7. On May 13th 2014 France’s foreign minister said that we only have 500 days to stop “climate chaos.” The recent Paris climate summit met 565 days after his remark.
8. In 2009, National Aeronautics and Space Administration Goddard Space Flight Center head James Wassen warned that Obama only had four years left to save the earth.
9. On the first Earth Day its sponsor warned that “in 25 years, somewhere between 75 and 80 percent of all the species of living animals will be extinct.”
10. And another Earth Day prediction from Kenneth Watt: “At the present rate of nitrogen buildup, it’s only a matter of time before light will be filtered out of the atmosphere and none of our land will be usable.”

= = =

Old 12-25-2016, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Did you read all the articles NASA has published regarding the Antarctic ice shrinking/growing? These are in the link I posted above.
I don't only focus on one area of global warming. We can see the effects all over the globe. Your neck of the woods is one of the most affected areas. So have fun enjoying it.
Quote:
As I reader, what does one is supposed to believe from the scientists who publish the reports? I am not a scientist.
What one should do as a reader is at least study or learn how to understand basic science so that they can understand and interpret the data that is collected by the numerous independent climate science groups. It does not require a degree in Astrophysics to understand global warming...just basic science understanding. Along with the ability to interpret graphs.

Quote:
That said, for the time being I let you and the other scientists argue about the antarctic ice, global cooling/warming, and the sky falling.
Seems pretty silly to try and argue facts. No argument going on here...just educating and addressing misinformation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology