U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When did the universe begin?
13.8 billion years ago 26 63.41%
6,000 years ago 1 2.44%
The universe has always been around 7 17.07%
Some other answer 4 9.76%
I can't tell or I'm undecided 3 7.32%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 12:46 AM

28,195 posts, read 43,042,814 times

Advertisements

I am with the theory that before Big Bang there was just a single hot, condensed point -- a singularity -- containing all matter in the universe. Then the universe expanded at a rate faster than the speed of light, and the inflationary period began.
Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 04:03 PM

760 posts, read 193,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
It doesn't violate causality. There wasn't a time before the big bang, because time is a property of the universe. Time wasn't a thing before the universe - and time - started existing. We also know stuff about the big bang because we can see the cosmic microwave background radiation of the universe, a "fingerprint" from that event. Most cutting edge theoretical physics examines what might have happened at various fractions of the first second. Physics itself, and physical laws, it seems are very likely to have been different in those conditions, with forces of nature we know today and physical concepts that seem immutable being fused with one another. Of course, we don't understand why the universe began, and we know for a fact that we don't have a complete picture of physics, but this is still the context in which to think about this.
The very first tick of time, the very first instant which is different from any other before it, is the result of what?

Old 02-20-2017, 09:24 AM

2,128 posts, read 1,202,889 times
Our universe? 13.8B years ago. Multiverse? Different story.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Our universe? 13.8B years ago. Multiverse? Different story.
We rely mostly on visible stuff, dark things, may eventually help provide better dating as the majority of the universe isn't at all visible and is mostly not directly detectable by us.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:23 PM

4,534 posts, read 3,706,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
The universe has always existed. Sounds awfully like religion's "God has always existed" to me.
Except we actually have a 'universe' starring us in the face - I don't see or detect any 'God' stuff. Something must be eternal or nothing ever would exist. I'll stick with energy as the eternal stuff.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Except we actually have a 'universe' starring us in the face - I don't see or detect any 'God' stuff. Something must be eternal or nothing ever would exist. I'll stick with energy as the eternal stuff.
The problem for physicists and mathematicians is causality. Every reaction is the result of an action in time space, always traveling down to a lower state of entropy. At the first instant of the big bang, not only is there zero entropy, but there is no cause. We can find particles created in fields of empty space, usually a particle and it's anti particle will self annihilate in billionths of a second. However, there wouldn't have been any fields before time, before the big bang, thus no way to randomly generate any particle, none would exist.

There is debate about this of course, the only field of science where there is no debate is the religion of global warming. However check here - Mainstream Science Is A Religion | Two Ice Floes

Quote:
All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force which brings the particle of an atom to vibration and holds this most minute solar system of the atom together. We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent mind. This mind is the matrix of all matter.” – Max Planck

Quote:
Terence McKenna humorously put it like this: “Modern science is based on the principle: ‘Give us one free miracle, and we’ll explain the rest.’ The one free miracle is the appearance of all the mass and energy in the universe and all the laws that govern it in a single instant from nothing.”

Quote:
“The atoms or elementary particles themselves are not real; they form a world of potentialities or possibilities rather than one of things or facts.” – Werner Heisenberg

Old 02-24-2017, 10:52 AM

3,118 posts, read 1,547,227 times
Which universe?

Old 02-27-2017, 05:06 PM

20,669 posts, read 19,063,471 times
Orion's Orb on the cat..

Old 03-03-2017, 07:43 PM

3,193 posts, read 729,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by functionofx View Post
The problem for physicists and mathematicians is causality. Every reaction is the result of an action in time space, always traveling down to a lower state of entropy. At the first instant of the big bang, not only is there zero entropy, but there is no cause. We can find particles created in fields of empty space, usually a particle and it's anti particle will self annihilate in billionths of a second. However, there wouldn't have been any fields before time, before the big bang, thus no way to randomly generate any particle, none would exist.

There is debate about this of course, the only field of science where there is no debate is the religion of global warming. However check here - Mainstream Science Is A Religion | Two Ice Floes

Terence McKenna aside, people too often confuse not currently having a satisfactory explanation with not ever having one. The two are not the same. The lack of solid understanding NOW does not mean one needs to insert miracles or supernaturalism into things to make up the lack of a consensus on how the universe began.

There are actually ideas out there showing mathematically how something could have popped out of nothing.Or we may simply be wrong about the amount of matter in the universe and are actually in a neverending cycle of Big Bang/Big Crunch .

The great thing about science is that it is willing to admit the lack of knowledge, and work to close that gap in knowldege, rather than simply choosing to fill the gap with supernaturalism and being satisfied with that.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:49 AM

10,114 posts, read 5,175,936 times
I don't know. Neither do you. No one does.

What we do know, to a decent degree of certainty, is that the universe is at least approximately 13.8 billion years old. Beyond that there is uncertainty. Back into the Planck Epoch the universe is opaque not just to observations but theoretically as well. People can say "Well, I believe X!", but that's just another way of them saying that belief in X satisfies them. However, their satisfaction is irrelevant to reality. I refuse to engage in such self-indulgent silliness.

At this point we have discovered a tremendous amount about the universe, but some things remains unknown. And when there is an unknown, the only responsible answer to that unknown is 'I don't know'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology