Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2017, 02:22 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times

Advertisements

The February issue of Scientific American contains an article about a study showing severe brain damage that could be suffered by astronauts in space, from cosmic rays. It is indicated that in an expedition to Mars, 90% of mental capacity might be lost. They say that some of the damage might be repaired after the exposure ended, but much of it might not be. It seems likely the astronauts would be disabled and unable to continue functioning and could not participate in navigating a safe return.

The mechanism for this cerebral disability, is the reduction in number and size of dendritic spines, a type of neural protrusion that is essential for learning and retaining memory.

I wonder how this warning will be accepted by the Scientific World. When I pointed out this danger a few months ago, regarding human travel to the moon, I was given an infraction and my posts about it were removed from this forum. It was as though I had submitted a claim about a myth and I was equated to those who promote a "Flat Earth" belief. Obviously, the time of exposure to cosmic rays would be much shorter on a moon expedition, than on one to Mars. But if this brain damage occurs, there would be some impairment suffered by moon astronauts. Did those who are credited with going to the moon, show any sign of mental impairment on their return?

Follow the link below. Unfortunately, to read the full article, you have to either pick up the paper edition or pay for a digital one. The second link leads to a recent, free-access article about the author, Charles L. Limoli, who has been awarded a grant to conduct further studies.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...mars-missions/

http://www.som.uci.edu/news_releases...ine-Limoli.asp

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 01-26-2017 at 03:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 08:44 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,098,284 times
This may help explain why frequent tourists are sometimes a bit loopy.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:02 PM

6,931 posts, read 6,864,193 times
I dont think we want to hear all this do we?

Either it means all the lunar astronauts are now irrepairably damaged by cosmic rays or else it means they didn't go because they are apparently not damaged.

Which one do we believe? [/sarcasm]

There have been alternative theories floating about for ages about the Van Allen radiation belt and how astronauts travelling through that might suffer some damage from the cosmic rays. Maybe this has something to do with the subject of the article ?

Old 01-29-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by functionofx View Post
This may help explain why frequent tourists are sometimes a bit loopy.
So do you think that jetliners at 41,000 feet, may be catching enough of those rays, to drop IQ a bit?

Old 01-29-2017, 10:46 PM

4 posts, read 21,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
So do you think that jetliners at 41,000 feet, may be catching enough of those rays, to drop IQ a bit?
Well, the number of airline pilots I saw pass through Betty Ford/Hazelden, it's more than just cosmic rays. On a separate note, once a spinning quasar or huge gamma-ray source passes it spray across our planet, you won't be worrying about anything then. Odds? next to nil. Damage? Catastrophic.

Old 01-30-2017, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDiamond76 View Post
Well, the number of airline pilots I saw pass through Betty Ford/Hazelden, it's more than just cosmic rays. On a separate note, once a spinning quasar or huge gamma-ray source passes its spray across our planet, you won't be worrying about anything then. Odds? next to nil. Damage? Catastrophic.
This must not have happened during the last 3.7 billion years, at which point the first evidence of life has been dated. I wonder how many pilots needed that therapy, but never submitted themselves for it?

Old 01-30-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Not really, the study is likely flawed. However, if someone got an addition to their home or a nice new Tesla, maybe it was worth it. For a few grand you can get most anything published as a scientific paper. There random scientific paper generator, which produced a number of peer reviewed scientific papers containing only gibberish.

Old 01-30-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Not really, the study is likely flawed. However, if someone got an addition to their home or a nice new Tesla, maybe it was worth it. For a few grand you can get most anything published as a scientific paper. There random scientific paper generator, which produced a number of peer reviewed scientific papers containing only gibberish.
By the word "there", it appears you meant to use the word, "their". Were you referring to the U of Cal, Irvine, School of Medicine, which published Limoli's research? If so, are you saying that their "random scientific paper generator" publishes only gibberish? is there some agenda of your own, that is in conflict with their findings?

Could you name a few specific papers they published, that were nothing but gibberish? It would be interesting to read them. I imagine that quite a few scientific papers, written for those in their field of study, not for the general public, might seem like gibberish to someone not trained in their subjects.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 01-30-2017 at 01:15 PM..

Old 01-30-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
By the word "there", it appears you meant to use the word, "their". Were you referring to the U of Cal, Irvine, School of Medicine, which published Limoli's research? If so, are you saying that their "random scientific paper generator" publishes only gibberish? is there some agenda of your own, that is in conflict with their findings?

Could you name a few specific papers they published, that were nothing but gibberish? It would be interesting to read them. I imagine that quite a few scientific papers, written for those in their field of study, not for the general public, might seem like gibberish to someone not trained in their subjects.
I was referring to an impersonal program that generates scientific papers. You can find it here - https://pdos.csail.mit.edu/archive/scigen/

If you ever need a paper that on first impression appears scientific but is in reality gibberish this is one way to get it inexpensively.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
I was referring to an impersonal program that generates scientific papers. You can find it here - https://pdos.csail.mit.edu/archive/scigen/

If you ever need a paper that on first impression appears scientific but is in reality gibberish this is one way to get it inexpensively.
SCIgen appears to actually be a comedy website for science nerds. Danny Kaye, the comedian whose specialty was double-talk, would have been amused. But do you really think that's where Charles Limoli got his research paper on cosmic rays? Would NASA be giving him 9 million dollars, for more of that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology