U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 05:46 AM

28,856 posts, read 31,595,171 times

Advertisements

Was looking for a charger for one of my cell phones yesterday and got to wondering why they dont standardize everything. My house is starting to become a jungle of charging wires and adapters
3 cell phones in the house all needing a different charging cord.
3 laptops needing different charging cords along with 2 tablets.
5 cameras all needing a different charging cord 3 of which are now non functional due to lack of charging cord.
various other electronic devices like
portable music devices
various handheld gaming devices
GPS
Walkie talkies
electric shaver
various power tools and lighting systems.
On top of that i have boxes full of chargers and adapters that i no longer know what they are for.
Then theres the jungle of wires behind my tv and also my PC, we are moving in a few months and i'm not looking forward to unplugging all this stuff then trying to figure out how it all goes back together in the new place.
I guess one of the downsides of technology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 09:31 AM

2,410 posts, read 906,546 times
most (all ?) smart cellular-telefones and tablet computers these days use micro-usb (apple is different since they make most of their revenue from switching plug connectors every few years).

Old 02-20-2017, 10:34 AM

14,755 posts, read 43,564,676 times
I feel the pain.

I learned to use my unlimited stock of pin-feed computer address labels to make tags for each end of charger cords, as well as CAT5 cables, audio cables, and anything else. I would say that wireless is a partial solution, but with the FCC only allowing very limited bandwidth for home wireless devices, it is not. As for wireless charging, I'm just waiting for fires when a device designed for a small induction charge gets placed on a charger designed to different parameters.

Although the wall-wart idle current isn't as bad as it used to be, there are still issues with chargers overheating and the occasional fire.

FWIW, the POE and new USB standards may solve some of the problem, and I have noticed a lot of devices standardizing on 12 volts (which I like because it allows use in a vehicle or on emergency power without adapters).

Old 02-20-2017, 12:41 PM

23,211 posts, read 33,042,681 times
Moving? Zip lok bags. One unit and one charger per bag. Easy peasy.

Label, label, label.

Take close up pictures of the wart (the text) and then one with it and the unit it powers.

Old 02-20-2017, 12:50 PM

27,614 posts, read 41,800,688 times
Charging my 3 phones with one cable
Camera needs a different one and Surface needs a different one. Not too bad
Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 02-20-2017, 10:08 PM

23,211 posts, read 33,042,681 times
2 tablets, 2 phones, 2 Kindles, PS4 controllers, all use the same connector. Camera is different, of course, as are the PS3 controllers.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:43 PM

7,583 posts, read 10,611,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Moving? Zip lok bags. One unit and one charger per bag. Easy peasy.

Label, label, label.
This is quite good advice! That's what I do first thing after purchase, get out my P-Touch and label wall wart with name of what it powers.

You know you have done it right when you can power any digital device you own off your dog's ... um ... tail! (Yeah that's the word!)

Then buy lots of adapters, and more adapters. Buy a few wall warts with 5V USB outputs. Buy a cigarette lighter -> USB converter. They're cheap, buy two.

Finally, get a storage box or few of them for travel.

Also, handy to have audio->bluetooth and bluetooth->audio adapters. And input/output adapters. And bluetooth headphones. And bluetooth speakers. Or use the bluetooth->audio and jack it into the speakers.

Yeah!

Old 02-28-2017, 11:20 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,995,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Was looking for a charger for one of my cell phones yesterday and got to wondering why they dont standardize everything.
"The nice thing about standards is that you have so many to choose from"
https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Andrew_S._Tanenbaum

Old 03-06-2017, 10:41 AM

6,834 posts, read 6,917,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Then theres the jungle of wires behind my tv and also my PC, we are moving in a few months and i'm not looking forward to unplugging all this stuff then trying to figure out how it all goes back together in the new place.
I guess one of the downsides of technology.
Micro-USB connectors were released in January 2007 and most manufacturers have standardized on that plug for phones. Apple is, naturally, not going to go with any standard they don't own.

Old 03-12-2017, 05:43 AM

28,856 posts, read 31,595,171 times
While most of my plethora of wires have a USB port on one end the incompatibility comes at the other end of the cable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology