U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 06:42 PM

460 posts, read 121,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
If they are block dialing, changing your phone number won't help.

I also heard about the "yes" scam, similar but different. Not worth explaining.

I've been ignoring the calls for most of a year. I doubt hoping they will give up is a viable strategy.

I'd love for the government to phone me. Wow would I give them a piece of my mind! First Amendment, baby!!!
During the election cycles, I swear that the best way for a candidate to get support would be to promise to eliminate spam/scam calls and to prosecute callers who won't desist. And said candidate will force all major carriers to provide free unlimited call blocking services that actually work. Of course, that means that said candidates would have to stop their spam calling too!

We got Card Services calls for a while. We appear to be off their list this month and now it's solar power people. Oh, and the occasional "contractor doing work in our neighborhood". Honestly I rarely answer the phone anymore.

I've heard about the "yes" scam. I monitor all our cards very closely and know when a charge appears that shouldn't. Had one earlier this week (I suspect hubby got nailed by a card reader somewhere). It was the first one we've had in a couple years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 06:52 PM

230 posts, read 44,265 times
Yeah, it's a scam. Mine goes in streaks. I haven't had that one for weeks. I'll go for a month with relatively few scam calls & then I had a 2 day period last April in which I got 30. One of whom threatened to rape me (in very graphic language)! For reals! What was crazy was that the rape threat was from his script! I could tell that he had no idea what he was even reading. It was actually hilarious b/c he was speaking like 1 word every 8 seconds, with such a strong accent, that it was impossible to take seriously.

Nevertheless, I would hate to think of an 80 yo lady getting a call like that :-(. They called back 2 more times after I went ballistic on them & had called at least 8 times prior. Each time the incoming number would change, sometimes they were real (but spoofed) numbers, mostly from 202 & sometimes it just said 'wireless caller'.

I almost never answer unless I recognize the #.

Old 03-01-2017, 06:53 PM

4,598 posts, read 2,622,352 times
I NEVER answer the phone when I do not recognize the number. Ever. If it's important, they will leave a message. They never do. So I am not bothered by these hooligans.

Old 03-01-2017, 07:17 PM

7,577 posts, read 10,599,285 times
I've put all my phones on the "do not call" list since it started. My number is unlisted. Unfortunately thanks to the public's "right to know" my phone number is all over the Internet. (Part of that is business related but I do not advertise my business nor do I have a website. It's like government stuff. They're not just content to just spy on us. They want to post everything they know about us.)

I'll probably continue not answering it most of the time and in a couple years when I've closed my business I'll change my cell number and cut the wire on the land line.

Just to be clear this is not a business phone. It's my home phone number.

Old 03-01-2017, 07:50 PM

I finally lost it today while I was eating dinner. My phone rang with an area code I didn't recognize, and I picked it up and yelled, "--------------------", a universally recognized two word insult in English, and slammed the phone down!

Heh, I hope it wasn't anybody important.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:18 PM

27,582 posts, read 41,758,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I've put all my phones on the "do not call" list since it started. My number is unlisted. Unfortunately thanks to the public's "right to know" my phone number is all over the Internet.
Not sure about that. I tried really hard to "find" my own home phone number on the Internet, but I couldn't. But I am also pretty sure that since I requested it to be unlisted and unpublished, I never shared it with anyone except close friends and family, and never posted it anywhere online. I have the same number since 1994.

When you answer calls from unknown callers, you just let scammers know that's a valid number to call. Same with clicking on emails from unknown senders.
http://patch.com/virginia/greaterale...nknown-numbers
Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Last edited by elnina; 03-01-2017 at 08:34 PM..

Old 03-01-2017, 08:22 PM

I own multiple properties. I'm a landlord. Permits, notices, HOAs, utilities, contractors, property taxes, etc. Considering the Realtors, escrow companies, etc. I've dealt with, obviously some/many/all sold me out. Even before that I bought my new home several years ago, got a new unlisted phone number, and within a month I was already sold out, getting occasional junk calls on my new, unlisted number. That was a few years before I started my business. Do Not Call fixed it back then. DNC is now an abject failure. Even my Realtor who sold me my house I love but they too send me a monthly magazine I have to move from my mail box to my recycle bin. (I need to tell them to quit sending it.)

Do you realize that if you order a rubber stamp for return addresses on your mail that the rubber stamp maker sells your address? -- Just one of the ways you get on junk mail lists.

BTW C-D doesn't sell your email. I use a different email for every forum. I've never gotten any email on the addy I gave C-D except from C-D.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:07 PM

27,582 posts, read 41,758,909 times
Protecting privacy is already pretty hard in the US, and it might get harder soon...
Congress considers making it illegal to protect consumer privacy
Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 03-02-2017, 03:39 AM

1,814 posts, read 2,266,958 times
Unless the people say they have had enough of this rubbish, the authorities and corporations will continue to push the boundaries until we have no rights left. Re-instate the US Constitution.

I know that sounds like I am anti-establishment, but it is the establishment which is fighting us.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:22 AM

I restrict all network capable appliances to operate only within my network. My router blocks them from inbound/outbound Internet access.

Manufacturers think the public wants the functionality. It costs little to add an Internet interface to an already smart appliance. -- What we really need is consumer laws requiring privacy statements for Internet capable appliances, and require instructions to limit or terminate such access via user controls.

Worse comes to worse, most modern routers have the capability to filter access based upon MAC address (the device's unique address) and you can simply tell your router to not give the advice any connection.

On the bad side, this will also prevent any software updates. Gawd, now we are in the days where your refrigerator or air conditioner might need software updates!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology