U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 09:20 AM

132 posts, read 46,864 times

Advertisements

About 10 years ago, I first realized I needed to up my game, in dealing with phone scammers.

One day, before I had Caller ID, a call came in from someone with a foreign-sounding voice, asking for me by name, and claiming to be with Bank of America, which is the issuer of the credit card I use the most, purportedly selling credit protection service, and asked me for my social security number, an immediate tipoff that this wasn't a legitimate caller.

This caller asked me if I was interested, and I said "I don't think so", and he said "what you mean, you don't think so?", very huffy and nasty, and I was so shaken I didn't say another word, just went silent and waited for him to hang up.

I had gotten along without Caller ID up to this point, I was using AT&T analog landline with DSL internet on it, but came to the realization that I needed to get Caller ID, so I logged onto the AT&T website and ordered it.

Once my Caller ID was activated, a call came in again from this same voice, asking for me by name, but I refused to say another word, just waited for him to hang up. Google search of number I was called from showed that plenty of other people were getting calls from this number, too.

Calls came from this number a few more times after that, and I answered by screaming "what the **** do you want?", before they finally stopped, and I have, fortunately, found better ways to deal with the issue since then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 09:21 AM

7,788 posts, read 10,697,591 times
Actually I do have a choice. Obviously changing my phone number won't stop "random" dialing (more likely block dialing) but it appears I'm on a list, so at some point I think I'll have to change the number and then update any business contacts.

Fortunately much of my business involves dealing with contractors, handymen, etc. and next time I need them I can just give them the new number. They have no reason to contact me once a job is done and they've been paid.

Just pointing out, my business does not deal with the public, I have no advertising or website, so the only really important entities I have to update are government agencies.

I may do that soon, if for no other reason than to see if changing it helps me regain the use of my phone as something that doesn't ring all day and annoy the hell out of me.

Worst case is I'll have to update all my utilities, the government agencies, and either I will get fewer calls, or not.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:25 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,419,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid America Lifer View Post
About 10 years ago, I first realized I needed to up my game, in dealing with phone scammers.

One day, before I had Caller ID, a call came in from someone with a foreign-sounding voice, asking for me by name, and claiming to be with Bank of America, which is the issuer of the credit card I use the most, purportedly selling credit protection service, and asked me for my social security number, an immediate tipoff that this wasn't a legitimate caller.

This caller asked me if I was interested, and I said "I don't think so", and he said "what you mean, you don't think so?", very huffy and nasty, and I was so shaken I didn't say another word, just went silent and waited for him to hang up.

I had gotten along without Caller ID up to this point, I was using AT&T analog landline with DSL internet on it, but came to the realization that I needed to get Caller ID, so I logged onto the AT&T website and ordered it.

Once my Caller ID was activated, a call came in again from this same voice, asking for me by name, but I refused to say another word, just waited for him to hang up. Google search of number I was called from showed that plenty of other people were getting calls from this number, too.

Calls came from this number a few more times after that, and I answered by screaming "what the **** do you want?", before they finally stopped, and I have, fortunately, found better ways to deal with the issue since then.
Oh...that wasn't such a bad thing to do, IMHO.

Don in Austin

Old 03-03-2017, 10:36 AM

3,874 posts, read 1,565,566 times
We have a new one recently. I am calling from U.P.S. we have a misdirected package for you. Will you be home this afternoon?? OK I need you to get a pencil and paper and write this down. I don't know the pitch after that as I plainly tell them they are a fraud and hang up. One time they called on my cell phone and I grabbed it as I was expecting a call. That time I told them exactly where to deliver the package.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:57 AM

132 posts, read 46,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
Oh...that wasn't such a bad thing to do, IMHO.

Don in Austin

No, it wasn't!

Old 03-05-2017, 05:39 PM

507 posts, read 152,865 times
Whitelist only access.

https://www.amazon.com/CPR-Call-Bloc.../dp/B00LL9H0FM

If you're not on my list I don't care to hear from you anyway. Not if you're someone I knew 30 years ago. Not if I "grew up with you". If I wanted to be in contact with you, I would be already.

My son objects to whitelisting. He says what if a doctor wants to call you? I say a doctor doesn't NEED to call me, they can send me a letter if they absolutely must contact me before my next appointment.

If I am awaiting some test result, *I* will call *THEM* - dialing *67 first.

The phone is for my convenience alone. If its inconvenient for people I don't want to hear from to not be able to contact me, EXCELLENT!

Old 03-05-2017, 05:55 PM

Price is reasonable: $50. Only has capability for 100 numbers & area codes (presume any combo of total 100).

I'm still giving serious thought to a simple number change. My problems seem to me like more than random you would expect from block dialing.

Old 03-09-2017, 11:58 PM

511 posts, read 143,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
Whitelist only access.

https://www.amazon.com/CPR-Call-Bloc.../dp/B00LL9H0FM

If you're not on my list I don't care to hear from you anyway. Not if you're someone I knew 30 years ago. Not if I "grew up with you". If I wanted to be in contact with you, I would be already.

My son objects to whitelisting. He says what if a doctor wants to call you? I say a doctor doesn't NEED to call me, they can send me a letter if they absolutely must contact me before my next appointment.

If I am awaiting some test result, *I* will call *THEM* - dialing *67 first.

The phone is for my convenience alone. If its inconvenient for people I don't want to hear from to not be able to contact me, EXCELLENT!
I'm pretty sure I'll be ordering this one in the morning:
https://www.amazon.com/CPR-Call-Bloc...ct_top?ie=UTF8

I do like the whitelist one - but there are calls we get that we do need and I may not have programmed them in. Also between my friends and family and hubbys plus various business contacts we'd probably exceed the allowed limit of whitelist.

Tonite and last nite after 11pm we've received 3 calls from the 'problem with your computer' scam people. I'm actually pretty peeved too that I actually have to pay for a unit that will provide a service that my phone company could probably provide for free.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:41 AM

The phone company should fix the system so that caller ID spoofing and calling number spoofing are technically prevented.

One of my junk calls a few days ago came from 0-000-000-0000.

Old 03-10-2017, 09:01 AM

2,779 posts, read 784,938 times
I have just finished reading all the posts and have noticed a lot of misinformation and paranoia!

First off.......yes, I get those "Rachel's Credit Card Services" robo calls ( and others similar)

That robo call never once mentions your name or the name of the credit card companies that they " supposedly" checked.
The robo call..........always a female voice speaking perfect English........asks you to " press 1" if you want to get your interest lowered.

When I am bored, I do press #1.
EVERYTIME I have done so the voice answering is never a woman speaking perfect English, but a young male speaking such broken English he is hard to understand.
It sounds like he is from India!

But, even he doesn't have a clue as to what your name is, what credit cards you have, your interest rates. He tries to convince you that for a fee he can lower your interest rate.

I HAVE NO CREDIT CARDS !
So, I started to question how much he really knew about me.
He knew nothing !

He did however call me every 4 letter word under the sun because I laughed at his feeble attempts for me to trust him.

Now, if anyone is so dense that they would respond and think that a young man from India can lower their credit card interest rates, they maybe get ripped off often in every scheme that comes along.

When a poster said he chewed out the woman calling............what a waste of time !
He just chewed out a robo call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology