U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 01:20 PM

Location: CA, AZ, ~NM, considering Palm Jumeira island... or not!
9,026 posts, read 11,121,259 times

Advertisements

It's a waste of time talking to any of these, even if there is a person on the other end. Even if there is a person just tell them to blank off and hang up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 02:02 PM

3,494 posts, read 1,022,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I've put all my phones on the "do not call" list since it started. My number is unlisted. Unfortunately thanks to the public's "right to know" my phone number is all over the Internet. (Part of that is business related but I do not advertise my business nor do I have a website. It's like government stuff. They're not just content to just spy on us. They want to post everything they know about us.)

I'll probably continue not answering it most of the time and in a couple years when I've closed my business I'll change my cell number and cut the wire on the land line.

Just to be clear this is not a business phone. It's my home phone number.

" I'll change my cell number"......

And exactly how will that stop .....Credit Card Services.....from ever calling you?
As I stated, they don't know your name, your number, or your credit cards you have.
Their random calling is like them throwing darts at a board to see if any stick.

The idiot from Card Services even admits he has no idea if you have any credit cards.

Old 03-10-2017, 02:10 PM

3,929 posts, read 3,047,954 times
We purchased an airhorn, but have since discovered that a shrill metal whistle works better. So, when an Indian sounding voice says "I am calling from card services can you verify your card number?" (Or"I am calling from the IRS"or"I am calling from Microsoft") a long blast at full strength stops the call.
I am on the national don't call list. Does not matter to crooks.

Old 03-10-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
" I'll change my cell number"......

And exactly how will that stop .....Credit Card Services.....from ever calling you?
As I stated, they don't know your name, your number, or your credit cards you have.
Their random calling is like them throwing darts at a board to see if any stick.

The idiot from Card Services even admits he has no idea if you have any credit cards.
I have an idea how my number was obtained, but not enough to explain.

But you are right if they are block dialing (-0000 through -9999) then changing your number won't do a thing.

However I am sure I'm on a lot of lists, and worse, even though when I moved and got my new residence with an unlisted number, almost immediately I started getting calls from people/companies who knew who I am. Obviously my number was sold probably multiple times.

Changing my number will get rid of the times I was sold out, but will do nothing for block dialing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
We purchased an airhorn, but have since discovered that a shrill metal whistle works better. So, when an Indian sounding voice says "I am calling from card services can you verify your card number?" (Or"I am calling from the IRS"or"I am calling from Microsoft") a long blast at full strength stops the call.
I am on the national don't call list. Does not matter to crooks.
For a time the DNC list helped me but a couple years ago it started failing and in the last several months I get anywhere from 5 to 20 calls a day of all types, no reply when I answer, a weird electronic gulp, credit card services, ordinary telemarketing calls. I'll bet in the last 100 calls I have received maybe 2-3 calls that were desired calls. The other 97 were junk calls, or ones I didn't even answer because they were obviously either junk or wrong numbers.

One thing the phone companies have to do is find a way to prevent CallerID spoofing and calling number spoofing. Until they do that there is no defense because what it says on CallerID means nothing, and it's almost a sure thing that the calling number is fake too.

Old 03-11-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid America Lifer View Post
About 10 years ago, I first realized I needed to up my game, in dealing with phone scammers.

One day, before I had Caller ID, a call came in from someone with a foreign-sounding voice, asking for me by name, and claiming to be with Bank of America, which is the issuer of the credit card I use the most, purportedly selling credit protection service, and asked me for my social security number, an immediate tipoff that this wasn't a legitimate caller.

This caller asked me if I was interested, and I said "I don't think so", and he said "what you mean, you don't think so?", very huffy and nasty, and I was so shaken I didn't say another word, just went silent and waited for him to hang up.

I had gotten along without Caller ID up to this point, I was using AT&T analog landline with DSL internet on it, but came to the realization that I needed to get Caller ID, so I logged onto the AT&T website and ordered it.

Once my Caller ID was activated, a call came in again from this same voice, asking for me by name, but I refused to say another word, just waited for him to hang up. Google search of number I was called from showed that plenty of other people were getting calls from this number, too.

Calls came from this number a few more times after that, and I answered by screaming "what the **** do you want?", before they finally stopped, and I have, fortunately, found better ways to deal with the issue since then.

(2nd paragraph)

However, I have never gotten a call from any ...Credit Card Services......where the caller had an accent.
All my calls have been robo calls and the recorded message is from a woman speaking perfect English.
You only got the young man with an accent from India after you went ahead and pressed #1.

Credit Card Services tries to attract customers who are so deep in credit card debt that they will trust a guy with an accent from India to solve their problems.

Old 03-11-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Credit Card Services tries to attract customers who are so deep in credit card debt that they will trust a guy with an accent from India to solve their problems.
I have a different opinion. Some may be simply telemarketing in which case they are violating US telemarketing laws if they call those like myself who have registered at the government site donotcall.cov. (And updated periodically as required.)

I think more likely most of the Credit Card Services are looking for stupid people who will answer questions like "We need to authenticate you. What is your full credit card number? What is your name? What is your address?" etc. I presume they would say something like it appeared you had some unusual activity but upon further looking they decided you have nothing to worry about. Bye!

Then they use your credit card to buy a bunch of stuff and have it shipped to a temporary drop point which they abandon after a few days or weeks.

Old 03-11-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I have a different opinion. Some may be simply telemarketing in which case they are violating US telemarketing laws if they call those like myself who have registered at the government site donotcall.cov. (And updated periodically as required.)

I think more likely most of the Credit Card Services are looking for stupid people who will answer questions like "We need to authenticate you. What is your full credit card number? What is your name? What is your address?" etc. I presume they would say something like it appeared you had some unusual activity but upon further looking they decided you have nothing to worry about. Bye!

Then they use your credit card to buy a bunch of stuff and have it shipped to a temporary drop point which they abandon after a few days or weeks.

The robo call is just a recording.
They then tell you to press #1 if you want your interest rates lowered.

Have you ever pressed #1?

I have ( many times) for entertainment and to hassle the idiot with the India accent.

When he gets mad, he uses the "f" word in very creative ways over and over.

What I'm saying is, with Credit Card Services there is no scam until you take the initiative to press #1.

Anyone who thinks a woman saying she checked your credit cards...... yet doesn't know your name or credit card company .....can help them are so dense they probably get scammed regularly.

Old 03-11-2017, 12:25 PM

I hang up on the recording. I'm not into wasting my time to play games. I know they are not legitimate calls and life is too short to waste time on this crap.

It's not a scam until you press #1? I call bull! If the call originated as a scam it's a scam the minute your phone rings.

You press #1. Tell them I said, "Hi!"

Old 03-12-2017, 07:19 AM

2,691 posts, read 2,288,826 times
You're not punishing the predatory company when you yell at or otherwise abuse the person who called you. He/she is a low paid employee who is reading from a script. And he/she will just move on to the next name on their list looking for someone naive enough to fall for the scam.

Old 03-12-2017, 08:52 AM

I forgot to mention that using a loud horn or other noise making device will have no effect. Phone lines are designed to carry a maximum volume (barely higher than loud talking) and your nasty noise will not hurt the caller's ears. (Trust me on this, I used to work for the phone company.)

Cursing them out probably won't help either. That goes with their job. They probably get cussed out 50 times a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology