Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 01:33 PM

648 posts, read 1,174,452 times

Advertisements

OK.. I am trying to find the term (surely there must be one!) that describes a particular phenomenon.. I would love to hear it straight from a scientist, or a person well-versed in biology...

It describes the evolution/adaptation/mutation of a virus, bacteria, fungus, or other pathogen or organism (you could also apply this phenomenon to human & animal behavior..) to a defense (or, offense?) that is put up against it. The thing becomes stronger and finds a way to circumvent the defense- which is usually the presence of a man-made chemical.

For example:
Antibiotics-they worked well at first, then the bacteria gets stronger, we come out with stronger
antibiotics, the bacteria gets stronger, and on and on..

Vaccines (thinking of the flu vaccine mostly)- virus always mutating to get around the vaccines..

Pesticides & fungicides- the pests/ plant pathogens get stronger, then chemicals get less & less
effective over generations

DEET- was effective against mosquitoes for a while- now I hear the mosquitoes are becoming immune
(and I've personally seen evidence of this)

Cancer cells- you get chemo, but then often the cancer cells 'regroup' and come back with a vengeance

This is all I can think of at the moment but you get the idea.
Anyone know...???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 01:41 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Adaptive resistance

Old 02-08-2017, 08:26 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Resistant Adaptiveness

Old 02-08-2017, 09:06 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Natural selection.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/terms/a...resistance.htm

How pesticide resistance develops | Grapes | MSU Extension

Why Are Mosquitoes Becoming Resistant To DEET?

Most viruses for which we have vaccines do not become resistant to them. That is because the part of the virus that the vaccine mimics is stable and does not change much. The flu vaccine is in a class by itself, the main problem being we do not have one vaccine that works against all strains. Flu viruses constantly change, but it is not due to exposure to the vaccine just the nature of the virus. This is referred to as antigenic shift and antigenic drift.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/viruses/change.htm

Resistance to chemotherapy is also due to natural selection. Many cancers are treated with more than one drug, with the drugs in the "cocktail" working by different mechanisms, in order to try to kill off as many cancer cells as possible before resistance can develop.

Old 02-08-2017, 10:30 PM

648 posts, read 1,174,452 times
Thanks so much!
But I can't seem to find the term in any biology dictionaries online. that's strange.. isn't it a pretty common concept?
Also thank you suzy_q for correcting what I said about viruses... & also for the other info.

Old 02-08-2017, 10:41 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opalminor View Post
...But I can't seem to find the term in any biology dictionaries online...
Just search for "adaptive resistance" and you'll see some journals and studies.

Last edited by Dirt Grinder; 02-08-2017 at 10:53 PM..

Old 02-14-2017, 06:05 PM

375 posts, read 296,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Adaptive resistance

Yes, adaptive resistance is the final outcome of evolution via selective inheritance, which is the true answer to the OP question.

Indeed, viruses and bacteria use the same machinations for evolving as did we homo sapiens. Random DNA mutations, which if advantageous to the host organisms for living and thriving in their specific environment, will be naturally selected. In time, due to said thriving of those ogansimx fortunate enough to have acquired that advantageous mutation, what was once the abberation will become the norm. And then finally the only version remaining to produce offspring.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-15-2017, 03:58 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,104,021 times
1. Can anyone explain the part how we know how many possible different children combinations we can have, I think it was a number like 69,000. So the probability of having 2 childs with exactly the same dna... is 1 in 69,000.

2. And what is the phenomenon - I think it's something to do with the chromosomes, that we are not equally 25% of our 4 grandparents?

Thanks.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:09 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
1. Can anyone explain the part how we know how many possible different children combinations we can have, I think it was a number like 69,000. So the probability of having 2 childs with exactly the same dna... is 1 in 69,000.

2. And what is the phenomenon - I think it's something to do with the chromosomes, that we are not equally 25% of our 4 grandparents?

Thanks.
The rate of identical twins is 1 in 285 births, so your 1 in 69,000 is way off.

The process that results in inheriting a bit more or less than 25% of your DNA from a single grandparent is called recombination.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:24 AM

678 posts, read 438,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opalminor View Post
OK.. I am trying to find the term (surely there must be one!) that
describes ... the evolution/adaptation/mutation of a virus, bacteria, fungus, or other pathogen or organism (you could also apply this phenomenon to human & animal behavior..) to a defense (or, offense?) that is put up against it. The thing becomes stronger and finds a way to circumvent the defense- which is usually the presence of a man-made chemical.
For example:
Antibiotics... Flu vaccines ... Pesticides & fungicides ... DEET ... Cancer cells- you get chemo, but then often the cancer cells 'regroup' and come back with a vengeance
Anyone know...???
You already mentioned the word "adaptation".

Also do know that chemo-poisons themselves cause cancer. Then, after the body is already in a doubly-weakened state: 1st. from the cancering process..., & then from whatever surgery and repeated radiation and repeated chemo inflicted, of course the body is so damaged that further cancers are the result, and no wonder most such people, needlessly, die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology