U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 12:54 PM

4,935 posts, read 5,091,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
I have 101 problems with the moon landing, I only believe it because you just cant keep a secret, after all these decades someone would have talked.
Supposedly the Russians and Chinese are actually planning manned expeditions to the moon sometime soon. We'll see what they find (maybe). To me the fact that nobody else has ever been there to corroborate the tale and the United States itself hasn't gone back since 1972 is a giant fail of the sniff test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 02:18 PM

10,543 posts, read 7,849,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
...To me the fact that nobody else has ever been there to corroborate the tale and the United States itself hasn't gone back since 1972 is a giant fail of the sniff test.
There is an abundance of proof that the Apollo program landed men on the moon. Just do a bit of research.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:18 PM

Okay fine. The US went to the moon. Now I want to see the Russians go there with 21st century technology and verify it. If there's an abandoned car and a flag stuck into the ground when they get there I'll consider myself a skeptic no longer.

You'd think somebody would have already done this sometime in the past 50 years!

Last edited by UrbanAdventurer; 07-11-2017 at 04:29 PM..

Old 07-11-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
...You'd think somebody would have already done this sometime in the past 50 years!
It's expensive, and there isn't much incentive to get back there, other than to satisfy the curiosity of another generation.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:39 PM

1,525 posts, read 2,603,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
It is easy to see that not everybody understands physics.
Or engineering. All his questions are what took 10 years to achieve the goal Kennedy set of getting to the moon and back. Safely.
Today we would expand the ISS to be a substantial base and shuttle up and down and back and forth until we got the elevator built.
"See also, Fountains of Paradise, A. Clarke"

Old 07-11-2017, 05:48 PM

Like I said if there's a car and flag sitting there when the Russians get there.... I'm not interested in the excuses.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Like I said if there's a car and flag sitting there when the Russians get there...
Well, there are three Lunar Roving Vehicles (LRVs) and six US flags on the moon. The Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO) took photographs of the Apollo landing sites, and you can even see the astronauts' tracks in the photos.

LRO Photos of Apollo Landing Sites

The Soviets lost interest in sending men to the moon after the US beat them to it. Now, China might be the next to land on the moon and silence all of the "flat-earthers."

Old 07-12-2017, 05:48 AM

Just one of either one of them will suffice and no I don't personally believe the Russians simply "lost interest" in staking their claim on the moon. I can barely keep a straight face at the mere thought of that. That would have been like the French and English staying away from the new world because the Spanish got there first. Totally ridiculous notion but listen neither one of us can really prove or disprove this one. We merely have our beliefs and suspicions and if it were really that cut and dried there'd be no controversy in the first place.

And don't even try to equate the actions of the United States and it's many mischieves with something that scientists and astronomers have known since before the United States (And its treachery) was a twinkle in anybody's eye. That just makes you look like a debunker stool pigeon.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:15 PM

3,900 posts, read 3,455,588 times
The best argument against those who would claim that NASA made up the Moon landing is that if they had, then NASA would have also made up a manned mission to Mars as well.

Seriously, if you really want to verify whether NASA reached the Moon, either get yourself a telescope of sufficient resolution and have a look yourself, or engage in the practice of lunar laser ranging.

Old 07-12-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
...no I don't personally believe the Russians simply "lost interest" in staking their claim on the moon...
Well, going to the moon was a race, and there's no glory in coming in second (the first loser). Besides, failure would have been an even worse outcome, so the Soviets backed-off after they had no chance of winning that race.
Quote:
...That would have been like the French and English staying away from the new world because the Spanish got there first.
Not much of an analogy there. The New World was a vast continent, full of valuable resources and well worth exploiting. The moon is an uninhabitable rock, with no easily exploitable resources.
Quote:
...neither one of us can really prove or disprove this one. We merely have our beliefs and suspicions and if it were really that cut and dried there'd be no controversy in the first place.
Well, I do know for a fact. There's no controversy, some people just don't know any better.
Quote:
...And don't even try to equate the actions of the United States and it's many mischieves with something that scientists and astronomers have known since before the United States (And its treachery) was a twinkle in anybody's eye...
Uhh... okay (now, that was odd ).
Quote:
That just makes you look like a debunker stool pigeon.
And now we come to the last desperate act in a failed argument: the personal insult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology