Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 12:22 AM

21,602 posts, read 24,739,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Seriously? I can't remember anyone ever in my life referring to math numbers as... he, she or guy.

Cars? For sure. That's not just an american thing either. But numbers? Disagree. NOT normal.
I've certainly heard it in math, chemistry, programming, accounting. It's not as pervasive as referring to a car, generally female pronoun, but it's not uncommon either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 12:23 AM

21,602 posts, read 24,739,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlEsc View Post
It was common when I was in college in the Midwest (Chicago area.)

"If you take this guy and move him over here below this guy... then take the inverse of that guy..."
And it's oh so wonderful if you happen to be furiously writing down notes and aren't sure which guy is being moved. =D

Old 10-10-2017, 01:56 PM

102,052 posts, read 106,836,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus86 View Post
I am originally from Sweden, although I have lived in America for a few years, and one thing that I have noticed a couple times from American science lecturers is that some of them talk about numbers and various "notations" as if they were persons.
For example, a typical phrase when they eliminate variables or whatever seems to be that they "knock out that guy", and they also seem to refer to some stuff by gender pronouns, such as "he" and "him".
I always thought that this sounded pretty funny, but maybe it is just a simple casual way to refer to whatever they are working with.
It's an individual thing. It's very casual speech. Some instructors won't be that casual. Others will. It doesn't mean literally, that they're thinking of the numbers as humans, lol. It's idiomatic usage.

Old 10-16-2017, 04:24 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,733,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I think it's a way of trying to make a dry subject slightly more accessible.
It's just this.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:55 PM

9,332 posts, read 6,866,407 times
Is this not typical globally? Heck Spanish assigns masculine and feminine context to everything. The English have been assigning feminine terms to boats for centuries.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:59 AM

2,627 posts, read 4,277,568 times
I tell my students the very first day of general chemistryclass that we do not anthropomorphize the elements in my classroom... because it really tics them off.

Old 10-27-2017, 01:37 PM

510 posts, read 605,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Seriously? I can't remember anyone ever in my life referring to math numbers as... he, she or guy.

Cars? For sure. That's not just an american thing either. But numbers? Disagree. NOT normal.
I'd also say it is VERY normal, I went to school in 3 different states and am pretty sure all my teachers have said things like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology