U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2017, 08:28 PM

904 posts, read 256,118 times

Advertisements

Ok i know if you find that nich it will boom, but finding that their are alot of 20s year old with start ups that I never heard about till it becomes mainstream and asking myself how did they get the funds or ability to get it out so fast? Born in 80, so i grew up with the dial up networking and html 4, now were in html 5 and high speed.. So what did our generation miss out? Glad they are creating jobs and such, but going from nothing to a million dollar company over night has me wonder who they know to get such large help.$$$ parents had to be loaded for them to get the education or investors to believe in them.

take a look at BEAM that xbox just released. its a kid that is a CEO.
http://money.cnn.com/2016/08/12/tech...oft-buys-beam/
https://www.linkedin.com/in/mattsalsamendi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 08:51 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $99,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

15,759 posts, read 29,583,680 times
Getting in on the ground floor has a lot to do with where you are. Tech startups thrive in places like California, where there is a ready supply of skilled engineering talent and venture capital. Go to places like that for opportunities like that... and bring a useful skill set.

Old 04-02-2017, 12:25 AM

His site said he worked hard. maybe so, but i doubt he was able to obtain the capital without some inside help from somebody with money. You don just go invest 100k in something that doesn't exist yet. He started a gaming server that everybody done before, now its so saturated its hard to do that anymore. Feel like i personaly must have miss a step in life or just wasnt born lucky. I thrive on learning new things and seems that i do, its never enough.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:09 PM

2,798 posts, read 1,575,745 times
OP, you sure keep obsessing about people who have more money, success or expensive possessions than you do. You want to tell the guy who won the lottery what to do with his money, you wonder how an 18 year old could build a startup without help from his parents and then there's that kerfuffle with the Rolls.

Relax, enjoy your life and stop coveting what other people have.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
OP, you sure keep obsessing about people who have more money, success or expensive possessions than you do. You want to tell the guy who won the lottery what to do with his money, you wonder how an 18 year old could build a startup without help from his parents and then there's that kerfuffle with the Rolls.

Relax, enjoy your life and stop coveting what other people have.

Simply because i am busting my arse off, doing everything right, getting educated and providing for my family and all a sudden a kid out of no where gets bought out by xbox. Talking about being unlucky. Be nice to wake up not have to worry about bills, go play video games. Just dont get hose these young kids are able to get ahead without a wealthy parent.

Old 04-07-2017, 02:34 PM

589 posts, read 841,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Simply because i am busting my arse off, doing everything right, getting educated and providing for my family and all a sudden a kid out of no where gets bought out by xbox. Talking about being unlucky. Be nice to wake up not have to worry about bills, go play video games. Just dont get hose these young kids are able to get ahead without a wealthy parent.
Obviously, you have to build a business. Something you enjoy. You have to create something worthwhile to someone. You don't really need that much money nor wealthy parents to start your own business. Just passion and have the stomach for risk-taking. It's only a risk in your head. Hard work is a given. A prerequisite. But it's only "work" if you don't enjoy it. You have to enjoy what you choose to do. At a minimum, you have to take risks, have a product/products and build something. Getting educated (meaning college and post graduate, I presume), may help you find a good job. It's good training - to be an employee. Not too bad, if that's all you want. A nice, high-paying job. If you're not happy in it, then maybe you should re-think your priorities.

A lot of very successful people actually saw college as as a waste of time and spent their "college years" building something. Even in that article you posted, it said:

Quote:
Beam emerged as the Battlefield winner, winning $50,000. In June, Salsamendi and cofounder James Boehm, 20, were named Thiel Fellows in June 2016. Investor Peter Thiel's organization pays young entrepreneurs $100,000 over the course of two years in exchange for skipping college or dropping out to work on their own ventures.
One of the lessons I learned early in my career was when my son was born. I must have been 30 or 31 then. I had a great job on Wall Street. Fast-rising. The future looked really bright. Then one of my best friends (and eventual "Italian Godfather" to my son) told me: "We gotta go free-lance now. I found this gig. But you gotta come with me. Mikey and Bill too. The market is going gang busters. Let's go independent." He meant, "independent contractors (software)".

I said:"Are you nuts? We just had a baby. We're in a great company. They're drowning us in money. And the bonuses are huge. etc... etc... Besides, my wife is going to kill me if I leave this job." yada, yada, ...

Looking (and sounding) like Santino Corleone, he looked at me like I had two heads: "That money that they're payin' us? You know they expect something back, right? They're working our a$$ to the bone. They're gonna squeeze us and bleed us. We're working nights and weekends. They own us. Then when we drop dead from a heart attack, badabing, badaboom, ... they replace us with younger versions. That's Wall Street."

Sonny Corleone continues: "You have a baby boy now. You're starting a family. THAT is why we have to take risks. THAT is why we have to build our companies. THAT is why we gotta do this. We gotta use our Wall Street contacts - FOR US. Sure the money is good. But we're just schmucks making money FOr THEM. And the government is taking our money in taxes and this withholding **** in our pay. C'mon man, ... we're going to make at least double what we're making now. And keep most of it. I have a great accountant and tax lawyer in Brooklyn. Don't be such a *******!" .... for whatever reason, my best friends always seem to be Italians and Irish guys. They're just funny.

Needless to say, young idiot that I was, I went with my friend. Took the plunge. Chucked our promising careers. And went free-lance. Incorporated our own companies. Worked really hard. Evenings and weekends. Gave up vacations. Wwhen we did start going on vacations again, the first couple of days were like: "Shoot. That's another $$$$$ lost. Another unprofitable day. We eventually learned to get out of that mindset.

We hired some people. We were profitable in the first year. Made out pretty well. Rode that wave for a good 25 years. My wife was furious at for the first couple of months. I thought she was going to divorce me. Until I gave her her first BMW on her birthday a few months later. And gave her the money to start putting away. That took care of that. And we did sock away most of the earnings. More than we would have had we stayed as employees. Eventually, our former Wall Street company pulled the tried and true shell game (merged with another company, then another, the another). A lot of our old friends lost their jobs and careers. That could have been us. Some bounced back. Some didn't. It turns out, there's a "risk" to everything - whether we stayed at the company or left the company like we did. You just never know.

And it's not too late for you to build a company. Just search for something like "successful people that built companies in their later years" . Then read about them everyday. If only to inspire you. To keep you positive and motivated. Otherwise, you could be stuck in a rut without even realizing it. See that hamster running in his wheel? He's probably perfectly happy. But leave the door open. Does he leave or stay?

To this day, 15 years later, we haven't found my son's pet hamsters that decided to leave.

https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/241346

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/s...d-in-a-garage/

24 people who became highly successful after age 40 - Business Insider

Old 04-07-2017, 06:28 PM

Thanks for the kind words. My fear is failing and losing everything. With a kid you do not want that. Another thing is start up cost, money to live on while your business fails or booms. I have a great idea and support, but no funds to even get into a building, much less a business loan. Paid somebody decent amount to help me with the paperwork for business loans, banks like what they read and see my future.. but in the end its all about credit and how your able to handle it. My score isnt the best and that is all they see in you.. a score. Different thread, another day. So now back to the wheel till i can come up with 25k to get started.. Did get a good job offer that should help in the long run.. develop more contacts and be a self contractor for them.. But my business you need insurance, and that cost!! 1-5mill bond is needed.

Old 04-12-2017, 02:43 PM

2,456 posts, read 1,102,251 times
Quote:
His site said he worked hard. maybe so, but i doubt he was able to obtain the capital without some inside help from somebody with money. You don just go invest 100k in something that doesn't exist yet. He started a gaming server that everybody done before, now its so saturated its hard to do that anymore. Feel like i personaly must have miss a step in life or just wasnt born lucky. I thrive on learning new things and seems that i do, its never enough.
Most tech startups use Venture Capital to finance their growth. It is common for VC firms to "seed" a startup with $750k-$3M as an early stage financing round. The VC is buying a percentage of the business for that money. They are investing with the goal that the value of the business will grow exponentially.

Quote:
He probably doesn't spend his days playing video games. He probably took some risks and put in some work. And we don't really know how much of the payout is going to him, personally.

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words. My fear is failing and losing everything. With a kid you do not want that. Another thing is start up cost, money to live on while your business fails or booms. I have a great idea and support, but no funds to even get into a building, much less a business loan. Paid somebody decent amount to help me with the paperwork for business loans, banks like what they read and see my future.. but in the end its all about credit and how your able to handle it. My score isnt the best and that is all they see in you.. a score. Different thread, another day. So now back to the wheel till i can come up with 25k to get started.. Did get a good job offer that should help in the long run.. develop more contacts and be a self contractor for them.. But my business you need insurance, and that cost!! 1-5mill bond is needed.
Great ideas are a dime a dozen. The gap between an idea and a valuable company is a chasm. What line of work are you in?

Old 04-16-2017, 05:41 PM

5,922 posts, read 4,109,663 times
Lots of VC. And you don't hear about the massive numbers of startups that fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology