Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 06:23 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,929,392 times

Advertisements

Which technologies will become obsolete within the next decade?

I know this is way too much to ask, but Facebook ?.........PLEASE????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 06:36 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
DVD's will hang on for years ot come due to Netflix and Redbox but CD's are being phased out. We bought a new JeeP and were surprised that it didn't even have a CD player option. It has a bunch of plugs for USB etc.. but no sign of a CD player. I like my CD's. I have a MP3 player but don't care for it.

I am very curious about what the next big TV fad will be. We have flat screens that have grown bigger, brighter and cheaper over the last several years. In the next 10 years will we all be tossing our flat screens for something even better?

Something that is going away is the brick and mortar retail store as are malls.
I have a stack of cd notebooks full of music saved off disc's which are gone, records and other stuff lost in moves. These were the backups and its all music which has personal connections and isn't necesarily easy to find. I do download the mp3's but will back them up to disc.
I wouldn't buy something which didn't have a way to play a cd.

Having those movies you downloaded on a dvd which you love, and like to rewatch, would make you most relieved if the device with the mp3 or whatever are on suddenly bites it.

Mp3's have done some wonderful stuff, making some kinds of music much more readibly available which give them greater exposure than they might as its harder to just 'lose ' them. I'm very glad some of the tapes and cd of filk music I can find again as m3p's but would prefer to have a disc in hand.

(filk is a science fiction version of folk music which has not fortunately found another home online, especially you tube.)

Old 04-26-2017, 06:38 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
DVD's will hang on for years ot come due to Netflix and Redbox but CD's are being phased out. We bought a new JeeP and were surprised that it didn't even have a CD player option. It has a bunch of plugs for USB etc.. but no sign of a CD player. I like my CD's. I have a MP3 player but don't care for it.

I am very curious about what the next big TV fad will be. We have flat screens that have grown bigger, brighter and cheaper over the last several years. In the next 10 years will we all be tossing our flat screens for something even better?

I have a stack of cd notebooks full of music saved off disc's which are gone, records and other stuff lost in moves. These were the backups and its all music which has personal connections and isn't necesarily easy to find. I do download the mp3's but will back them up to disc.
I wouldn't buy something which didn't have a way to play a cd.

Having those movies you downloaded on a dvd which you love, and like to rewatch, would make you most relieved if the device with the mp3 or whatever are on suddenly bites it.

Mp3's have done some wonderful stuff, making some kinds of music much more readibly available which give them greater exposure than they might as its harder to just 'lose ' them. I'm very glad some of the tapes and cd of filk music I can find again as m3p's but would prefer to have a disc in hand.

(filk is a science fiction version of folk music which has now fortunately found another home online, especially you tube.)

Old 04-26-2017, 08:02 PM

983 posts, read 995,187 times
Charging cords need to go away. PLEASE, let some egghead invent a wireless charger. There's too many devices now and too many charging cords.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:02 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times
Quote:

I disagree with that. I live near two major malls and some nights it is impossible to find a parking spot when I want to shop after work.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:11 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,975,888 times
Women once the robots are enhanced.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:12 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,984,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Father time has a way of making once-dazzling technological breakthroughs appear primitive and obsolete. Within recent decades many seemingly essential technologies have become practically obsolete. Typewriters, floppy disks, Vinyl (although it has experienced a cult revival as of late), dial-up internet, etc.

Inevitably other technologies will folow suit in the near future, but which technologies will they be? To get the ball rolling, I believe that CDs, DVDs, single-purpose remote controls, and car mirrors will effectively become obsolete within the next decade. I also believe that print media may struggle to survive the next decade given the increasing pressure to shift to an exclusively online format.

What do you guys think?
My vote is for Steering Wheels. They're going to be gone in 10 years...

Old 04-27-2017, 01:06 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,091,516 times
Very hard to guess. The question is not so much if the technology is absolute or old or not but rather do people use it or not. Does it still serve a useful purpose?

Do you think faxes might disappear in the future as more people and businesses exchange information in digital form. This is the technology that existed in the 80th. Might stand alone copy machine disappear since there will be less printing? Presumably the screens in digital devices will continue to improve so they will be almost as readable as paper...

Old 04-27-2017, 01:23 PM

487 posts, read 1,816,158 times
Manual transmissions(already becoming obsolete), Drive-able cars will give way to driver less cars( I welcome this-drivers are so distracted now), home phones have already gone the way of the do-do bird-haven't had one in the past 10 years, (remember telephone booths), robots are doing a lot of our jobs too-went to an Applebees and they now have the tablet on the table-you can order your own food and pay without even speaking to a waiter, Bank tellers replaced with ATM's, they even have robots that mix your drink, no bartenders needed sigh.

Old 04-27-2017, 01:47 PM

5,213 posts, read 3,013,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAB6120 View Post
Manual transmissions(already becoming obsolete), Drive-able cars will give way to driver less cars( I welcome this-drivers are so distracted now), home phones have already gone the way of the do-do bird-haven't had one in the past 10 years, (remember telephone booths), robots are doing a lot of our jobs too-went to an Applebees and they now have the tablet on the table-you can order your own food and pay without even speaking to a waiter, Bank tellers replaced with ATM's, they even have robots that mix your drink, no bartenders needed sigh.

And what happens when you don't really know where you want to go. Plenty of times the family and I just got out for a drive with no real destination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology