U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 04:00 PM

15,441 posts, read 24,414,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartWA View Post
Charging cords need to go away. PLEASE, let some egghead invent a wireless charger. There's too many devices now and too many charging cords.
Apple has the patent for a wireless charger, and I am certain that others will follow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 04:02 PM

15,441 posts, read 24,414,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Women once the robots are enhanced.
That's a double-edge sword, since the robots can replace men too. Pleasure androids for both sexes, workers, janitors, caretakers, etc., come to mind?

In my view no technology becomes obsolete. It just evolves.

Old 06-11-2017, 06:33 PM

6,392 posts, read 1,471,980 times
doorbells almost no one ever visits without calling first

Old 06-13-2017, 03:33 PM

5,733 posts, read 2,608,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
I don't see car mirrors becoming obsolete.

Flash drives on the other hand I believe will go away due to cloud storage.
I agree on the mirrors.
As to flash drives, why would you trust the "cloud" by not having a personal backup of important documents, pictures/videos, etc.?
The cloud after all is just a server network, subject to failure and hacking.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:58 PM

239 posts, read 52,293 times
The little one-cup coffeemakers with DRM programming and other finicky bits, especially if the coffee crops fail.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:01 AM

33,296 posts, read 32,938,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Digital mirrors seem to be the next big thing. Whether or not they catch on remains to be seen.
I love new tech where applicable but also love simple designs that just work. Mirrors are going to be one of those things. I can go find a car in the junkyard sitting there for the last 50 years and the mirrors will be one thing that still work.

All this tech going into cars today is going to be huge problem in the future as it breaks down or becomes obsolete. I had a 2003 Buick that had Onstar I bought used, I had no intention of using but it wouldn't work under any circumstances anyway. The only way you could get it to work was a new unit for hundreds. There wasn't anything wrong with it, Onstar simply didn't support it anymore.

I have to wonder how long all these proprietary onboard electronics will be supported in these new vehicles.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:14 PM

47 posts, read 9,724 times
Cable -- I hope cable goes the way of the typewriter because Netflix, Hulu, etc are better options. Plus cable is overpriced.

Flashdrives -- I don't think it would be obsolete, unless for now at least. Lots of people still don't trust "the cloud."

CDs -- CDs will probably be phased out soon. Now most people buy digital (aka mp3). So there's no market for it anymore. Maybe kids music and oldies (for elderly), but that's really it. That's why I hope CDs phase out completely soon.

DVDs -- DVDs are still somewhat profitable because lots aren't on Netflix & Hulu, etc, so we still need the DVD. Plus on Netflix and other sites it takes way too long for it to be put up, and lots of people want to watch it now instead of waiting a year. Once streaming becomes more reliable, I bet DVDs would slowly die out. For now at least, DVDs still have a purpose.

Physical Books vs Online/Digital -- I'm not too sure if digital books would ever take off. I know some people read books on computer, tablet, Kindle, etc. But lots of people still want physical book. I just have to see how this goes.

DVD Drive on computer -- I know lots of computers aren't coming with it. Some still are, but lots aren't. Hopefully it would be phased out soon (completely). Its not really needed anymore really.

Flip Phones & Basic Talk/Text Phones -- Most buy smartphones but the basic phones are still in production (just barely). Its either that 1 in the store or you need to order it. I hope flip phones and basic phones become obsolete. Well, for most consumers. Only ones I hope are being made are for elderly and for kids in grammar school - aka till 5th grade.

Bluetooth Speakers vs Cable Speakers -- I see now only bluetooth speakers are around (since late 2016 / beginning 2017). I like cable speakers, but I think bluetooth might be future. Cable speakers can still be bought online (at least for now) but in near future I don't think you can get it. Seems like they want us to go use bluetooth speakers. If that's the case, I would probably have to get bluetooth speakers.

TV -- I have no clue if there would be any advancements in TV. I know the advancements that I saw, which were recent, were Smart TVs, 4K TVs, and Smart TV options for people with regular TVs still (which is probably more then we think since Smart TV and 4K TVs are still new/newish) like Roku & Apple TV where you plug it into HDMI of TV. I wonder what the future of TV would look like.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:51 AM

23,218 posts, read 19,874,801 times
Libraries..not a technology, but a service needed less and less, at least when it comes to having hard copy books......

Old 07-02-2017, 10:52 AM

289 posts, read 109,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Father time has a way of making once-dazzling technological breakthroughs appear primitive and obsolete. Within recent decades many seemingly essential technologies have become practically obsolete. Typewriters, floppy disks, Vinyl (although it has experienced a cult revival as of late), dial-up internet, etc.

Inevitably other technologies will folow suit in the near future, but which technologies will they be? To get the ball rolling, I believe that CDs, DVDs, single-purpose remote controls, and car mirrors will effectively become obsolete within the next decade. I also believe that print media may struggle to survive the next decade given the increasing pressure to shift to an exclusively online format.

What do you guys think?
The digital system used for computers relies on boolean logic. The assembly language buried deep within a processor's instructions exist in boolean format. These instructions are deciphered and made easier to handle with external user requests such as the C++ API or a higher-level language. The bottom line is that assembly language, the computer's raw instructions (e.g. read/write), still uses boolean math: TRUE=1, FALSE=0. The logical operations include AND, OR, XOR, NOR, etc. This leads to transistors and the microprocessor (e.g. ARM/MIPS).

All that "boolean logic" may be replaced by quantum computing in the not-too-distant future. It's exciting to see how technology advances in radical ways. I still remember when the land line was used. I am from Generation X and studied physics a very long time ago as an undergraduate. I remember 8-track tapes, the black-and-white cathode TVs, cassettes, the Atari 2600, large-incision surgery that is now minimally-invasive, the Sony walkman, 45 records, Fortran programming, etc. Technology has advanced by far. Last year I earned an online master's in software engineering. I studied cloud computing, mobile apps, Python, Java, JavaScript, data warehousing, etc. Right now I am starting another program in computer engineering. I love studying the latest and greatest with fundamental roots. Meanwhile, I work as a data warehouse tester.

In summary, quantum computing is coming and will likely cause another revolution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgFValkblLQ

A similar example in hardware materials science would be nanocomposites or nanomaterials. The lighter, stronger materials are more flexible and likely going to replace materials used in commonly used engineering products: airplane wing, automobiles, homes, bridges, etc. The "concrete/steel enforced" bridge is going the way of the 8-track tape due to upgrades in materials science.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMVk7c4HAwE

Old 07-08-2017, 07:34 PM

97 posts, read 13,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Libraries..not a technology, but a service needed less and less, at least when it comes to having hard copy books......
I sincerely hope that doesn't happen. Libraries are an important public space, but over the years they have become more of a study/social gathering place. Books are almost of a second nature now.

I don't think that is likely to happen to public libraries, but private ones may end up downsizing if the cost of operation becomes too high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology