Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 02:42 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times

Advertisements

Seems a world wide movement is afoot to bring awareness to the importance of science=March for Science: Crowds join global Earth Day protests - CNN.com
Current admin seems to be oblivious to the protests issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 08:13 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,098,725 times
Good, questioning the nature of reality, developing theories, testing them, adjusting as new data becomes available, is a wonderful thing. Saying debate is settled, isn't science. It denies any opportunity to adjust theories, or to reconsider interpretation with new insights. Most Trump supporters are for science.

Old 05-06-2017, 10:44 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,891,679 times
Everyone else is marching. Why not the scientists? I mean, they may as well. We truly do have some of the most science-ignorant people in the world bar none, considering this is supposed to be a first world country. You have to wonder at the US when a country like Somalia had a higher measles vaccination rate than we did at one time - and in the middle of a civil war there.

Now if only we could get all the history teachers to march - they'd have an audience to preach to, too.

Old 05-12-2017, 10:18 PM

24 posts, read 29,992 times
I wonder if any those marching for "science" really want unbridled evolution. I didn't think so. So don't tell me you're so in favor of science.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:30 AM

188 posts, read 548,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian Shepherd View Post
I wonder if any those marching for "science" really want unbridled evolution. I didn't think so. So don't tell me you're so in favor of science.

Can you expand on what you mean by "unbridled evolution"?

Old 05-18-2017, 02:12 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybear View Post
Can you expand on what you mean by "unbridled evolution"?
Probably uncontrolled human genetic engineering.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Probably uncontrolled human genetic engineering.
I see, and while there may be a fear of designer babies, the potential in the field of genetics to treat diseases is vast. Recently a few babies were treated for leukemia using CRISPR methods.

Doctors successfully treat two babies with leukemia using gene-edited immune cells | Popular Science

So to answer Australian Shepherds question, yes I am in favor or science.

Old 05-18-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
I see, and while there may be a fear of designer babies, the potential in the field of genetics to treat diseases is vast. Recently a few babies were treated for leukemia using CRISPR methods...
That's an entirely different topic, but I'm not interested in any further discussion beyond guessing what the poster meant.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
That's an entirely different topic, but I'm not interested in any further discussion beyond guessing what the poster meant.
Uh no, crispr is very much related to genetic engineering. And just so you know I'm not trying to force you to partake in any kind of discussion beyond the scope of Australian shepherds post or any other discussion your not comfortable with and never implied to do so.

Old 05-19-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Uh no, crispr is very much related to genetic engineering. And just so you know I'm not trying to force you to partake in any kind of discussion beyond the scope of Australian shepherds post or any other discussion your not comfortable with and never implied to do so.
No one is arguing against genetic engineering. We know about CRISPR and the CRISPR-Cas9 genome editing tool for treatment of diseases. However, the original post to which we are referring brought up the issue of bioethics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology