U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 09:59 PM

3,562 posts, read 1,495,635 times

Advertisements

Evolution doesn't necessarily reward intelligence. It rewards those who survive and reproduce. This is one reason I scoff sometimes at futurists who believe the future is going to be something out of science fiction and a utopia where we can control everything, live forever, and transfer our consciousness to machines. We haven't even reached a type 1 civilization yet and I don't think we will to be honest. I worry that the fact that the more intelligent you are, the less likely you are to have children is going to send evolution in a direction we don't want. This was the plot of the movie Idiocracy. However, I think civilization will collapse before it gets to the point that it was in the movie. However, I think the movie does an excellent job at explaining were we are headed as a species and why.

Bottom line is, evolution doesn't reward the best, smartest, or strongest. It rewards the survivors and if this is the case, I believe humanity has reached peak intelligence. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 10:41 PM

334 posts, read 67,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Have humans reached peak intelligence?
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Well, we are at a point where we can influence our evolution.

I recently read an interesting book on the subject
https://www.amazon.com/Superintellig.../dp/1501227742

Through genetic engineering we can massively accelerate evolution.

We no longer have to breed two intelligent people together and hope for a more intelligent off spring. We can now mix genetic material together and select for the most intelligent combination.

Of course, this will still take many generations to have any type of dramatic effect.

A faster step would be to 3-D print brains with optimized neurological connections. We don't have the understanding, yet, to do this and this is still a somewhat limited technique.

What is most likely to happen, and most dangerous, is computer intelligence. Most people in the field believe that there is a 50% chance of achieving super-human artificial intelligence within my lifetime. Once humans can create a machine more intelligent than themselves, that machine would, then, be able to create a machine more intelligent than itself, the resulting machine would then be able to create a machine more intelligent than itself, and so on until the difference between the machine intelligence and human intelligence would be similar to (or in excess of) the difference between human intelligence and, say, and ant intelligence.

The problem with this, is that such an intelligence wouldn't have any more reason to be concerned with our well-being than we do to be concerned with ant well-being.

It's far from certain that human evolution is anything we'll ever need to concern ourselves with.

Old 05-05-2017, 10:58 PM

11,823 posts, read 4,430,537 times
Quote:
Evolution doesn't necessarily reward intelligence. It rewards those who survive and reproduce. This is one reason I scoff sometimes at futurists who believe the future is going to be something out of science fiction and a utopia where we can control everything, live forever, and transfer our consciousness to machines. We haven't even reached a type 1 civilization yet and I don't think we will to be honest. I worry that the fact that the more intelligent you are, the less likely you are to have children is going to send evolution in a direction we don't want. This was the plot of the movie Idiocracy. However, I think civilization will collapse before it gets to the point that it was in the movie. However, I think the movie does an excellent job at explaining were we are headed as a species and why.

Bottom line is, evolution doesn't reward the best, smartest, or strongest. It rewards the survivors and if this is the case, I believe humanity has reached peak intelligence. What do you think?
I'm no good at all at predicting the future. I mean, who living 5000 years ago could have predicted today's world?

Besides, intelligence is a polygenic trait. To talk of it as if it is a single thing produced by a simple genomic system is to profoundly misunderstand it.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:24 AM

2,672 posts, read 5,933,947 times
Sticking around long enough to reproduce is how all species survive. It has nothing to with reward this or reward that. We have always evolved through technology. We built submarines to swim under water like fish. We built airplanes to fly like birds. The list goes on and on.

The movie scenario is becoming more real. Automation, AI, and robots are advancing exponentially and are doing jobs used to be done by humans. Computers have been smarter than humans at certain tasks already -- beating us at chess, jeopardy, and analyzing data thousands of times faster and more accurate than humans ever could.

Our future descendants will be post-human beings who will carry the species forward much like we did for those who came before us.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:11 PM

1,267 posts, read 277,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
. Computers have been smarter than humans at certain tasks already -- beating us at chess, jeopardy, and analyzing data thousands of times faster and more accurate than humans ever could.

If by smarter you mean intelligence, the answer is no, computation is not intelligence.
Chess doesn't require consciousness, its game that relies on algorithms.

Old 05-07-2017, 04:39 PM

10,210 posts, read 5,239,952 times
Quote:

Homo sapiens are no more intelligent than they were ten thousand years ago.

However, we know many orders of magnitude more than we did then, because of innovation. Essentially, we domesticated animals and plants, which allowed the rise of states and specialization, including writing (and thus the ability to transmit knowledge over generations in a far more precise manner than oral transmission) as well as things such as the scientific method.

We're still innovating and we're still accumulating.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:09 PM

1,267 posts, read 277,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Homo sapiens are no more intelligent than they were ten thousand years ago.

However, we know many orders of magnitude more than we did then, because of innovation. Essentially, we domesticated animals and plants, which allowed the rise of states and specialization, including writing (and thus the ability to transmit knowledge over generations in a far more precise manner than oral transmission) as well as things such as the scientific method.

We're still innovating and we're still accumulating.
Bingo, interesting to note the idea of atomic particles was thought up long ago by the Greeks.
And almost everything we "invent" has already been done somewhere in nature,
electricity, motors, radar, chemical explosives (bombardier beetles) etc.
What we do better is harness or adapt what we learn.

There really isn't any need to be more intelligent, we have intelligence enough to go forward for a long ways.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:33 PM

766 posts, read 1,437,622 times
Long ago, judging by the state of the union.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:46 PM

2,324 posts, read 765,186 times
Default Intelligence, or pragmatism, or wisdom

Quote:
Evolution doesn't necessarily reward intelligence. It rewards those who survive and reproduce.

Evolution works on individuals as the building blocks of a polity. & evolution also works upon those polities (& families, & clans, & towns, states, etc.) @ the point that we're talking about polities - groups that go beyond kinship bonds - evolution @ that level favors societies that can adapt & prosper. In formal polities, that means knowing how to organize people, & keep them working together in more or less the same direction - the knowledge of human politics can be unconscious, but as our societies become more & more technological - I think intelligence is still required, because even the best government manuals don't cover every eventuality - & governance is more of an art than a science, in my opinion.

We may get to where it's fairly cut & dried, God forbid it.

Old 05-12-2017, 10:03 PM

24 posts, read 17,023 times
I do not think humanity has reached "peak intelligence." But the strong will survive. When an EMP hits, or nuclear war, nobody will care about transgender bathrooms. We will need good ole sex between male and female to propagate humanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology