Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 09:26 AM

909 posts, read 544,701 times

Advertisements

This is the reason in which I shop to find deals.

Amazon has a patent to keep you from comparison-shopping while you're in its stores - Chicago Tribune
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2017, 09:36 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,093,737 times
Quote:
The phenomenon, often known as mobile "window shopping,"
I've always heard it referred to as "showrooming."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Showrooming

I was going to say that I bet the FTC or the FCC would have something to say about Amazon trying to curtail it, but then I remembered our current Federal government isn't inclined to make new regulations, especially if they stifle business.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:40 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,733,041 times
That kind of makes me laugh.

How do I do my online shopping?

I look up items on amazon, compare prices and customer reviews - and then visit eBay. I would be absolutely astounded if millions of other folks don't do the same.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:56 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,019,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post

I was going to say that I bet the FTC or the FCC would have something to say about Amazon trying to curtail it, .....
Under what premise? This only works if you are using the store Wi-Fi. Should they not have control of the wi-fi service they are providing for free?

Old 06-18-2017, 10:27 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Under what premise? This only works if you are using the store Wi-Fi. Should they not have control of the wi-fi service they are providing for free?
Network neutrality. If you're providing customers access to "the Internet," you shouldn't get to filter it for the express purpose of stifling competition. Providing customers access to what you openly admit is a walled garden that includes your site is a different story.

And if their technology somehow affects customers' in-store access to competing sites while on wireless service, those customers' wireless providers will (and should) howl to the FCC.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:54 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,847,869 times
Quote:
I've always heard it referred to as "showrooming."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Showrooming

I was going to say that I bet the FTC or the FCC would have something to say about Amazon trying to curtail it, but then I remembered our current Federal government isn't inclined to make new regulations, especially if they stifle business.
While *in* their store, you are on *private property* and they can thus do whatever they want ...

I take pics of the items, then go home, look at competitors prices and reviews.

I wonder ...
If you do NOT log onto *their* WiFi, but use your phone's own resources, can they still block ?

Old 06-18-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
I wonder ...
If you do NOT log onto *their* WiFi, but use your phone's own resources, can they still block ?
See, that's what I'm thinking makes this a patentable, sinister idea and a potential issue for the Feds. They could use geo-locating to determine that you're connecting to their site from their store and use some method to prevent the same browser from accessing a similar product on a competing site, based on that geo-location.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Network neutrality.
Suggesting a private network a company is allowing you to use for free should be subject to network neutrality rules is a bit of stretch .

Quote:
And if their technology somehow affects customers' in-store access to competing sites while on wireless service, those customers' wireless providers will (and should) howl to the FCC.
I would agree but this is completely different.

Old 06-18-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
....and use some method to prevent the same browser from accessing a similar product on a competing site, based on that geo-location.
Um, not only no but hell no. Setting the legal issues aside the prerequisite for this would be what would amount to a malware infection. Such a scheme would be exposed immediately and would be a PR disaster of epic proportions.

Old 06-18-2017, 12:18 PM

6,107 posts, read 4,601,028 times
Unless there is no other option, I have gradually veered away from Amazon and gone with Ebay more and more often when I have to make a purchase online, due to Amazon's delivery which has gotten slower and slower for non Prime members. which seems indicative of their overall eroding customer service philosophy (which used to be better when Amazon was in its initial growth phase) as this latest move demonstrates.

I live no where near its stores, so it's irrelevant in my case, but from a philosophical standpoint this is just one more reason to stick with that decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology