U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2017, 08:22 PM

65 posts, read 32,606 times

Advertisements

Like most of you probably have, I have a lot of old music CD's (and some not so old) that I want to copy to my computer. However, whenever I load the disk, no matter what program that I uses, all that shows up on my player is track 1, 2, 3 etc and no information as to the song itself.

I'm not wedded to any one player system - ie I-tunes, I just want to be able to create a play list based on the music that I have already bought.

So my question is, is there an simple way to force the song and artist info to transfer?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:40 AM

33,233 posts, read 32,899,584 times
There is various programs for ripping CD's and many better than Windows Media Player but if you were to use that.

Open Windows Media Player and there should be breadcrumb in the upper left Library >> Music >> All Music.

Right click next to that and you should have menu with "Show Menu bar" at the bottom, select that.

Now you should standard menu bar at the top, file, view etc. Click tools and then options.

Go to the rip tab, change the format to MP3 or WMV lossless. If you choose MP3 set the slider below that all the way to the right for highest quality. If you are going to rip a whole bunch of CD's check "Rip automatically and "eject CD".

Go to the library tab, you should have check next "retrieve additional information from the internet". Once you rip the disc it will automagically add the metadata, set the album cover and variety of other things.

Old Yesterday, 03:52 PM

65 posts, read 32,606 times
Tried those settings on a couple of CD's. both times got this message: "Windows Medial Player cannot download media information for this CD. The tracks, artist, and album will be identified as "Unknown" in your library. For best results, connect to the internet or manually add media information for the CD.

Old Today, 02:51 AM

33,233 posts, read 32,899,584 times
It's possible for this to happen if you have really rare music.

Quote:
For best results, connect to the internet
If it's not working with any CD's especially if it's popular act then it's proabaly being blocked from retrieving the information. Recheck on the library tab that " "retrieve additional information from the internet" is checked. Also check the privacy tab to make sure you do not have a setting their blocking it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology