U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2017, 07:49 PM

1,689 posts, read 689,814 times

Advertisements

I am meaning a time where energy lines get replaced by wireless transmitters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 08:42 AM

163 posts, read 39,174 times
From what I know Starbucks began four years ago to introduce the wireless fot iPhones.
If Apple would introduce the wireless to charge laptops I would definitely upgrade my MacBook.

Old 08-12-2017, 02:17 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,736,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
As in power lines? Not a physicist, but wouldn't that create fairly large electromagnetic fields?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calwine View Post
From what I know Starbucks began four years ago to introduce the wireless fot iPhones.
If Apple would introduce the wireless to charge laptops I would definitely upgrade my MacBook.
I believe the 8 will be the first iPhone to natively support wireless (Qi) charging. Samsung, Google, and Microsoft has been supporting it for a few years now.

Old 08-12-2017, 03:58 PM

1,554 posts, read 439,373 times
Quote:
We can transmit power via microwave some distance. The danger would be if the angle of the transmitter was changed by wind, cold, act of god or man, it could roast people alive as if they were in a microwave oven.

Air is not the best conductor of electricity, and we will likely require wires until a new power delivery paradigm is discovered. At best some small devices, electric toothbrushes, electric razors, some cell phones, can use electromagnetic induction to charge. These must be very proximal to a power source, but the device may not need a direct wired connection.

Old 08-12-2017, 07:50 PM

439 posts, read 60,417 times
Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8+ already have this capability

Old 08-12-2017, 08:49 PM

2,834 posts, read 3,666,735 times
Quote:
Power lines? I don't think that's ever going to be practical. Wireless energy transfer is just too inefficient. The only exception would be for situations when wires are completely impractical, such as with a satellite.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:57 AM
Yac

5,410 posts, read 5,625,394 times
This is one change I am really waiting for - wireless energy transfer. Not sure if it's at all possible, but judging by how much wireless data transfer change the world, and how small a segment of our lives it is compared to things that need electricity..
This would potentially change our lives more than the steam engine. Unfortunately from what I read online, being the most optimistic about it, we're still quite a bit away from achieving wireless energy without a massive energy loss..

Old Yesterday, 06:08 AM

7,229 posts, read 7,509,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by functionofx View Post
We can transmit power via microwave some distance.
Following World War II, the idea of using microwaves to transfer power was researched. By 1964, a miniature helicopter propelled by microwave power had been demonstrated.

In 2015, researchers at the University of Washington introduced power over Wi-Fi, which trickle-charges batteries and powered battery-free cameras and temperature sensors using transmissions from Wi-Fi routers.

Wi-Fi signals were shown to power battery-free temperature and camera sensors at ranges of up to 20 feet.

It was also shown that Wi-Fi can be used to wirelessly trickle-charge nickel–metal hydride and lithium-ion coin-cell batteries at distances of up to 28 feet.

Old Today, 12:18 PM

10,488 posts, read 15,408,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGoldenLife View Post
Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8+ already have this capability
The Nexus line had it in 2013 but I don't think it qualifies as the large scale the OP is asking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology