U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-13-2017, 12:34 AM
 
Location: Pacific 🌉 N, 🌄W
7,946 posts, read 2,906,110 times
Reputation: 4765

Advertisements

Bing = Cringe to max!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-13-2017, 04:40 AM
 
Location: Oregon Coast
1,663 posts, read 521,541 times
Reputation: 2128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Bing = Cringe to max!
Bing is rough, but sometimes when Google seems to totally miss the point of my search, or just returns a lot of SPAM, I can go to Bing and find the information I'm looking for. Often it's better than Google, but I still use Google first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2017, 01:14 PM
 
Location: Pacific 🌉 N, 🌄W
7,946 posts, read 2,906,110 times
Reputation: 4765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Bing is rough, but sometimes when Google seems to totally miss the point of my search, or just returns a lot of SPAM, I can go to Bing and find the information I'm looking for. Often it's better than Google, but I still use Google first.
Odd I have never had Google miss my search points or return a lot of SPAM.

I think a lot of it is knowing how to search properly.

Bing SUCKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2017, 02:26 PM
 
3,047 posts, read 1,324,403 times
Reputation: 1810
i dont avoid google but I rarely use them.

i just prefer ddg / cyanogenmod / my isp's email / libre-office / gnome-maps / i use still waze which got bought by google /...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2017, 04:58 AM
 
Location: Oregon Coast
1,663 posts, read 521,541 times
Reputation: 2128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Odd I have never had Google miss my search points or return a lot of SPAM.

I think a lot of it is knowing how to search properly.

Bing SUCKS!
I have been using Google for 20 years. I have probably done a million searches. I think I know how to use it.

The problem is that when I search for information on an item, instead of getting information on that item, I get shopping results for where I can buy the item. Typically the top half of the page are just ads. They are labeled ads. The bottom half of the page is the actual search results, but the links are the same as the ads at the top of the page. I have to go two, three, five pages in, before I stand a chance of finding a search result that is not one of Google's advertisers. That type of SPAM should be in Google Shopping. What is the point of Google Shopping if they SPAM these shopping results into the All category? Bing is the same, but not nearly as overkill with SPAM as Google is.

Other categories in Google overlap too. For example Google Images used to be great years ago. I could find any image there. All I had to do is click on the image, and I could see it full screen. Then they changed it. Now when I click on the image, it takes me to a webpage instead of the image. Often the image is not even on the webpage. Webpages should be in the All category. Also it seems that almost every single Google Image search result, is from Pinterest. I don't know what the deal is between Google and Pinterest, but if I just wanted to search Pinterest, I would probably just go to Pinterest and search. I don't need Google for that. So I go to Bing Images to search, so I can see results from other servers as well.

If you want to buy stuff, and be served SPAM, Google is great. If you want information, Google is hit or miss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2017, 01:38 AM
 
Location: Pacific 🌉 N, 🌄W
7,946 posts, read 2,906,110 times
Reputation: 4765
^ I have never experienced this when performing searches with Google.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2017, 08:38 AM
 
Location: Oregon Coast
1,663 posts, read 521,541 times
Reputation: 2128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
^ I have never experienced this when performing searches with Google.
Example, if you Google for "DMV", you would think the first result should be your state DMV website. But when I Google for it, the first result is a fake DMV website, which pays Google to be listed there. Fortunately the second result is the real Oregon State Government website. But there was a time when I couldn't even get to the real DMV website, through Google. Every single search result was SPAM for the fake DMV website. The only way I could get to the real site was to use Bing. Finally Google got so many complaints about that, that they started including real DMV websites in the search results.

But I get it, you like Google. It works for you. Great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2017, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Pacific 🌉 N, 🌄W
7,946 posts, read 2,906,110 times
Reputation: 4765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Example, if you Google for "DMV", you would think the first result should be your state DMV website. But when I Google for it, the first result is a fake DMV website, which pays Google to be listed there. Fortunately the second result is the real Oregon State Government website. But there was a time when I couldn't even get to the real DMV website, through Google. Every single search result was SPAM for the fake DMV website. The only way I could get to the real site was to use Bing. Finally Google got so many complaints about that, that they started including real DMV websites in the search results.

But I get it, you like Google. It works for you. Great.
I just Googled DMV and the first links appearing are CA DMV. The next links are the DMV for my city.

I wonder why you get "fake" sites and I get the actual DMV for my State and city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2017, 11:55 AM
 
191 posts, read 61,005 times
Reputation: 289
Not just that, but they filter out stuff they don't agree with on google searches, and youtube. Who are they to decide what we want to read or watch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2017, 05:52 PM
 
Location: Keller, TX
5,578 posts, read 4,395,043 times
Reputation: 3961

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE_DyB7uS8E
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top