U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2017, 07:45 PM

411 posts, read 206,259 times

Advertisements

I am trying to stop using Google services. I find their monopoly on search and voracious collection of data to be dangerous.

I use DuckDuckGo for search.
Brave for browsing.
Zoho for email.
I have an Android phone but turned off location services.
I also use a VPN on my phone to mask my IP address.

Anyone else trying to do this? I feel like it's picking up steam.

Also, any Google services I overlooked?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 08:04 PM

13,113 posts, read 5,044,400 times
I also use DuckDuckGo for searches. Another one is IXQuick.

Don't use GoogleMail or GoogleGroups or Chrome.

Google owns YouTube. That one's hard to avoid, I don't have a YouTube account, but they probably can track me anyway. I prefer Vimeo, but...

Stared avoiding Google around 10 years ago.

Old 09-06-2017, 01:13 AM

1,118 posts, read 519,039 times
If DDG doesn't have the results I want, Yahoo Search works fine.
I use a Chrome-based browser that doesn't track your activity, SRWare Iron.
I use Hooktube to watch Youtube videos linked on websites and social media (just delete the "you" part of the youtube URL and type "hook" in its place). VidMe is also starting to populate as Youtube's policies are making alternatives popular.

It's still increasingly difficult to avoid the Internet giants of Google, Amazon (even the web side that has nothing to do with shopping) and Facebook. My phone is Android.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:58 AM

13,113 posts, read 5,044,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
If DDG doesn't have the results I want, Yahoo Search works fine.
I use a Chrome-based browser that doesn't track your activity, SRWare Iron.
I use Hooktube to watch Youtube videos linked on websites and social media (just delete the "you" part of the youtube URL and type "hook" in its place). VidMe is also starting to populate as Youtube's policies are making alternatives popular.

It's still increasingly difficult to avoid the Internet giants of Google, Amazon (even the web side that has nothing to do with shopping) and Facebook. My phone is Android.
Thanks for this info!

Old 09-07-2017, 07:12 AM

5,502 posts, read 4,669,001 times
Nah... I figure they provide all these great services without charging for them, the least I can do is let them track me a bit. I don't care. Their 2 factor authentication service alone is worth using their services. I'm invested in the android ecosystem, as well. I also recently set up a dummy home phone using their google talk/voice service. Free home phone.. That's worth 10 bucks a month...

Old 09-07-2017, 08:36 AM

9,480 posts, read 11,364,267 times
Agree with Stockwiz. When I'm dead and gone I won't give a rats butt about who knows what kind of pron I like or what shows I like to watch.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:10 AM

1,652 posts, read 1,232,767 times
^^ I agree as well. I've got nothing to hide. I could care less about ads, just ignore them or install ad blocker. Facebook is another story however. I do like my privacy. Google does offer a lot for free including drive, photos and a bunch of stuff also on my phone. It's kind of hard to quit google if you have an Android phone and want to install apps. Their is no better search engine either.

Old Today, 05:38 PM

25 posts, read 2,365 times
Yeah I'm not too worried about being tracked. We have more to worry about re: Equifax than we do re: Google.

Old Today, 06:52 PM

460 posts, read 294,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
I am trying to stop using Google services. I find their monopoly on search and voracious collection of data to be dangerous.

I use DuckDuckGo for search.
Brave for browsing.
Zoho for email.
I have an Android phone but turned off location services.
I also use a VPN on my phone to mask my IP address.

Anyone else trying to do this? I feel like it's picking up steam.

Also, any Google services I overlooked?
My firefox plugins includes "Disconnect" and "Cookie destroyer" they work to stop tracking and trashes or blocks cookies, you select if you block them, keep them just for the session, or perm.

I've seen "Disconnect" show how many tracking and other such scripts it's blocking hit 42 on one web site alone, 42 freaking "BUGS" invading my browsing a web site!

https://disconnect.me/disconnect/help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology