U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2017, 06:44 AM

3,073 posts, read 6,394,280 times

Advertisements

Since most homes are a grid tie system the solar shuts down when the power goes out. I wonder if home owners facing extended outages are finding ways around that?

Is there a way around it in an emergency?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 04:31 AM

30,881 posts, read 35,010,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
Since most homes are a grid tie system the solar shuts down when the power goes out. I wonder if home owners facing extended outages are finding ways around that?

Is there a way around it in an emergency?
I'd imagine in a solar powered house there is a provision to disconnect from the grid tie system and go totally independent if needed.

A good read on the issue = http://energyinformative.org/grid-ti...solar-systems/

Old 09-23-2017, 02:02 AM

76 posts, read 14,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'd imagine in a solar powered house there is a provision to disconnect from the grid tie system and go totally independent if needed.

A good read on the issue = Grid-Tied, Off-Grid and Hybrid Solar Systems - Energy Informative
From what I have read I believe you are correct.

Old 09-23-2017, 02:21 PM

34,309 posts, read 34,412,506 times
The benefit of grid tied sytem is that it's lot cheaper, the batteries on standalone sytem add a lot of expense but they also perform a crucial task beyond storage for night. Even during the day you can have wild fluctuations in power output, e.g. a bright and sunny day with those big white puffy clouds blocking the sun occasionally. The thing about electric is you either use it, store it or lose it.

A quick search says they have this type of inverter than can directly power things.

https://ressupply.com/inverters/sma-...us-40-inverter

Looks like it has much lower wattage in power loss mode. You'd have to research it more but a lot of things you would want to power during a loss of power like a motor can be burnt up pretty quickly if there isn't enough power being delivered to them. If it has the means to monitor the draw and cut power if it can't supply it you should be good to go.

That said if you have an event like Irma a small gasoline generator used wisely could run for at least a week on 20 or 30 gallons of gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology