U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2017, 01:11 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,817,614 times

Advertisements

I just went through a heat wave in LA and I got abnormally more mosquito bites than usual. When I say heat wave, I mean it was well over 90 for a few weeks.

Would you expect to get more mosquito bites when it's over 90, as opposed to 80, which is regular for LA?

My problem is funny because most of the bites appear where my socks are. As people mentioned in another thread, they can pierce through clothes or go under the clothes. But I'm getting bites there than on my exposed skin.

I've been living in the same place for seven years and I'm doing the same things or going the same places as ever before. This is the first time I've had so many bites and it's been happening for 3-4 weeks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 01:24 PM

29,564 posts, read 45,360,105 times
I think those ankle bites could be from fleas.
To find out, put on white socks and after you come back home check them very careful to see if you can find any.
Please report back.
Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-17-2017, 12:52 PM

23,782 posts, read 34,792,652 times
^^^ Agree. You do want to be sure.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:22 PM

15,401 posts, read 46,475,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I just went through a heat wave in LA and I got abnormally more mosquito bites than usual. When I say heat wave, I mean it was well over 90 for a few weeks.

Would you expect to get more mosquito bites when it's over 90, as opposed to 80, which is regular for LA?

My problem is funny because most of the bites appear where my socks are. As people mentioned in another thread, they can pierce through clothes or go under the clothes. But I'm getting bites there than on my exposed skin.

I've been living in the same place for seven years and I'm doing the same things or going the same places as ever before. This is the first time I've had so many bites and it's been happening for 3-4 weeks.
I used to call kids "ankle biters" just sayin...

Old 09-22-2017, 01:51 PM

1,679 posts, read 1,249,303 times
Flea bites are completely different that mosquito bites. It should be easy to tell the difference. Temperature should not have a lot to do with it. Mosquitos need standing water to breed. Fleas prefer a moist environment.

Flea bites

Mosquito bite

Old 09-22-2017, 04:38 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,817,614 times
I've gotten far fewer bites the past week, and it's been cooler. Obviously the heat wave is correlated with it.

My bites look like both of those photos.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:16 PM

13,164 posts, read 5,099,532 times
Then you may have both. Yikes!

Yes, heat can produce faster growth from egg to biter.

All mosquitos need is enough warmth and a bit of standing water. When I say a bit, I mean a bit. For instance, if you (or your neighbor) have a leaky outdoor spigot in a situation where a small puddle can form or have left a kids pool sitting out with a couple inches of water or keep a birdbath filled, that's enough. In warm temps, a mosquito egg can mature as quickly as 2 weeks, depending on species.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology