U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-10-2017, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
14,026 posts, read 6,462,574 times
Reputation: 13802

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I have read that climate change has slowed the next ice age which would kill off much of the planet. So thanks to climate change we are alive because there is no ice age yet.

In the long term, the sun will grow brighter and send more heat to our planet. Climate change prepares us to deal with the growing sun way in advance. Once again thanks to climate change we are prepared.

Ultimately the sun, the biggest climate changer, will destroy earth. So the crying and whining about climate change is moot in the larger scheme of things.
Oh my.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-11-2017, 08:45 PM
 
Location: Not far from Fairbanks, AK
15,702 posts, read 25,327,664 times
Reputation: 11251
Still does not matter to me, since I am not talking about global warming. All I have said is that in past years we have had a lot of stronger storms than in 2016-2017.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2017, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Pacific 🌉 N, 🌄W
7,990 posts, read 2,924,152 times
Reputation: 4787
Powerful storm heading towards Ireland.

Ophelia May Become Strongest Storm to Hit Ireland Since 1961
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2017, 09:43 PM
 
Location: Pacific 🌉 N, 🌄W
7,990 posts, read 2,924,152 times
Reputation: 4787
Ophelia's location is already historic. As The Two-Way reported, Colorado State University meteorologist Philip Klotzbach noted that when the storm reached Category 3 status on Saturday, that made it "the farthest east (26.6W) an Atlantic major hurricane has existed on record."

Historic Storm Ophelia Hits Ireland

Yes the predictions about storms is spot on. Funny how most scientific predictions are not questioned. It's only the scientific discoveries and predictions that don't align with a persons religious or political ideologies that are touted as false = Ideological Bias.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2017, 04:49 PM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
21,395 posts, read 54,505,106 times
Reputation: 20819
From a non-scientific outlook on the "blind climate deniers" vs.supposed "power grab exaggerators" war, there are some basic things that make me skeptical of the arguments of both sides.

It is pretty clear climate change is happening. At least there is some short term change going on. Could be long term. I do not think anyone knows.

The end of the world or at least major disaster predictions on the climate change side from 20 plus years ago have not occurred. It got a little warmer in some places. There were some severe storms drought and the like, but we have had those things before. Sometimes far worse.

Unless I am misunderstanding what they said, we passed the point of no return according to clime change scientists so there is no longer anything we can do do stop it or reduce it. Why do we not instead focus on dealing with it?

Scientific predictions in my experience are wrong more often than right.

Our society seems to like to have something to panic over. It makes people easier to control. From my perspective, the climate change stuff seems to have something behind it, but is exaggerated to the point of hysteria.

A rises in sea level of 1 foot in 100 years does not seem like much of a problem. Double that, still does not seem like much of a problem.

No one has any realistic plan for dealing with the pollution that is supposedly causing or contributing to climate change. Lots of silly feel good measures that cost a lot and do nothing, but nothing realistic is planned. Just what is it anyone thinks can be done about it?

Seems like there may be bigger and more pressing issues of concern. Like the level of pollution from plastic in the ocean, or the possibility of a nuclear attack by North Korea or Iran. A few nuclear blasts seem likely to have a much more detrimental impact on the environment than someone's SUV.

What if the global warming "hysteria" is completely wrong? Does that mean we should run around polluting more? Does anyone on either side believe polluting is a good thing? It may mean the extremists who demand we stop using cars and electricity altogether right now should be ignored, but they are pretty much ignored anyway. What is wrong with recycling, or reducing how much pollution we cause? I do not understand how that can be seen as a bad thing. Is it that reducing pollution makes things too expensive? To my knowledge most of the pricey measures to reduce pollution and employed int he USA. For the most part, people here doe not seem to have a shortage of buying power. Most people seem to have all kinds of useless junk 4 or 5 or more tvs, multiple game consoles, all kinds of redundant computers, kindles, smart phones, net books, etc. More than half of our nation has smart phones. That includes children. It just does not seem the pollution control measures in place are holding us back substantially. Well maybe everyone could have 12 TVs 9 game consoles and 27 various versions of computers.

Many of the issues are being addressed for other reasons. We are already moving away from coal, and massively reducing car emissions, moving to electric cars, recycling more and more for economic or health reasons or because people think it is right, not because of laws and regulations. The world tends to work things out like that all by itself. Why do we need laws, regulations and never ending expensive studies that are half wrong cost a ton and then just get fought over?

We are almost our of usable fresh water. If this is not addressed, we will all be dead long before global warming has any significant impact on us.

There does not seem to be any real agreement on how much climate change is impacted by man. Lots of people say it has an impact or it must have an impact, but how much of one? Does it really matter if the world is going to warm up to 132 degrees and we cause it to warm up to 133.5? If that is where is it going we have bigger problems than worrying about a few degrees difference. If we are simply making what is happening anyway happen faster, does that really matter? If the world will be uninhabitable by 2068, I do not much care if we can delay that until 2075. Does anyone really believe the world will become uninhabitable from the current climate change trend anyway? POssibly some places like Pheonix or Yuma will have to be abandoned. I have always thought people do not belong there anyway.

Has anyone noticed, Canada is almost entirely empty? Mostly because it is too cold. The Phoenicians can move there. Yuma is mostly populated by Canadians, if it gets warmer in Canada- just send them back.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 10-24-2017 at 04:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2017, 05:00 PM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
21,395 posts, read 54,505,106 times
Reputation: 20819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Ophelia's location is already historic. As The Two-Way reported, Colorado State University meteorologist Philip Klotzbach noted that when the storm reached Category 3 status on Saturday, that made it "the farthest east (26.6W) an Atlantic major hurricane has existed on record."

Historic Storm Ophelia Hits Ireland

Yes the predictions about storms is spot on. Funny how most scientific predictions are not questioned. It's only the scientific discoveries and predictions that don't align with a persons religious or political ideologies that are touted as false = Ideological Bias.
Wasn't there a huge hurricane that hit Ireland back before they recorded such things? Seems like I just read an article about it. Wiped out entire towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2017, 07:31 PM
 
Location: Pacific 🌉 N, 🌄W
7,990 posts, read 2,924,152 times
Reputation: 4787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
It is pretty clear climate change is happening. At least there is some short term change going on. Could be long term. I do not think anyone knows.
We do know and the predictions are spot on.

Climate change: How do we know?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
The end of the world or at least major disaster predictions on the climate change side from 20 plus years ago have not occurred.
I've never heard of any of this...perhaps you got this from a hokey website.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
It got a little warmer in some places. There were some severe storms drought and the like, but we have had those things before. Sometimes far worse.
The current warming trend is of particular significance because most of it is extremely likely (greater than 95 percent probability) to be the result of human activity since the mid-20th century and proceeding at a rate that is unprecedented over decades to millennia.

Earth-orbiting satellites and other technological advances have enabled scientists to see the big picture, collecting many different types of information about our planet and its climate on a global scale. This body of data, collected over many years, reveals the signals of a changing climate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Unless I am misunderstanding what they said, we passed the point of no return according to clime change scientists so there is no longer anything we can do do stop it or reduce it. Why do we not instead focus on dealing with it?
That's always been my stand...who cares what you want to believe is the cause for it, we need to deal with it. However I don't think we will be able to overcome it since human population will never cease and it already out of control. One child through adulthood leaves a substantial carbon footprint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Scientific predictions in my experience are wrong more often than right.
Do you have anything to substantiate this? While there are uncertainties with climate models, they successfully reproduce the past and have made predictions that have been subsequently confirmed by observations. Did you know that climate models have successfully reproduced temperatures since 1900 globally, by land, in the air and the ocean?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
A rises in sea level of 1 foot in 100 years does not seem like much of a problem. Double that, still does not seem like much of a problem.
Really?

Coastal Consequences of Sea Level Rise
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
No one has any realistic plan for dealing with the pollution that is supposedly causing or contributing to climate change.
We have the knowledge to understand what it happening to our world, our climate, but yet our civilization appears to be on the grip of denial - a kind of paralysis. There is a disconnect between what we know, and what we do. Being able to adapt our behavior to challenges is as good of a definition of intelligence as any I know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Lots of silly feel good measures that cost a lot and do nothing, but nothing realistic is planned.
You can't be serious. The costs associated with sea level rise on top of global warming is already in the trillions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Seems like there may be bigger and more pressing issues of concern. Like the level of pollution from plastic in the ocean, or the possibility of a nuclear attack by North Korea or Iran. A few nuclear blasts seem likely to have a much more detrimental impact on the environment than someone's SUV.
It's all tied to human activity. Humans are the cause of global warming. Humans are the cause of overpopulation > which leads to more consumption > which leads to more pollution. Yes humans are the problem...so what do you think will solve most of these issues? It's not rocket science to see that focusing on reducing the world's population will do wonders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
What if the global warming "hysteria" is completely wrong?
You keep using the word "hysteria". There is no hysteria...that's just your interpretation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Why do we need laws, regulations and never ending expensive studies that are half wrong cost a ton and then just get fought over?
Why do we need laws? Really?

What expensive studies that are half wrong and cost a ton are you referring to?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
If this is not addressed, we will all be dead long before global warming has any significant impact on us.
We as well as other species and other living things on this planet are the ones who carry the legacy of cosmic evolution spanning billions of years. If we come to know and love nature as it really is, then we will surely be remembered by our descendants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
There does not seem to be any real agreement on how much climate change is impacted by man.
Lots of people say it has an impact or it must have an impact, but how much of one?
This is a great site and I highly recommend you spend some time filling in the missing information you have posted all throughout your response.

Positives and negatives of global warming


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcxxhDVvTXU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2017, 07:34 PM
 
Location: Pacific 🌉 N, 🌄W
7,990 posts, read 2,924,152 times
Reputation: 4787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Wasn't there a huge hurricane that hit Ireland back before they recorded such things? Seems like I just read an article about it. Wiped out entire towns.

Hurricane Ophelia was the easternmost Atlantic major hurricane on record.

It was the tenth consecutive hurricane and the sixth major hurricane of the 2017 Atlantic hurricane season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2017, 11:41 PM
 
Location: Pacific 🌉 N, 🌄W
7,990 posts, read 2,924,152 times
Reputation: 4787
Concentrations of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere surged at a record-breaking speed in 2016 to the highest level in 800 000 years, according to the World Meteorological Organization's Greenhouse Gas Bulletin. The abrupt changes in the atmosphere witnessed in the past 70 years are without precedent.

Greenhouse gas concentrations surge to new record
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:57 PM
 
Location: Pacific 🌉 N, 🌄W
7,990 posts, read 2,924,152 times
Reputation: 4787
No we don't have any problems here on earth caused by human activity and overpopulation.

World Scientists’ Warning to Humanity: A Second Notice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top