U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2017, 06:52 AM

3,326 posts, read 2,327,960 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else seen this series hosted by Neil DeGrasse Tyson? The annual Isaac Asimov Memorial Debates?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OLz6uUuMp8

In honor of Isaac Asimov, a science fiction writer, science advocate, and lover of stranger and futuristic concepts, several experts from different backgrounds are brought together each year to discuss some controversial and complex topic related to science.

Neil De Grasse Tyson seems to have replaced Carl Sagan as the unofficial spokesperson for NASA. I think Carl Sagan was better at giving moving, dramatic speeches, but when it comes to being a moderator or host, Neil DeGrasse Tyson is considerately better at it than every full time actor I've seen...and he has to split his time between being an actor and an astrophysicist, and presumably he spends a lot more time as the astrophysicist.

He's impressively quick on his feet. He singlehandedly turns what would otherwise be boring, multiple-hour long squabbles between people talking in incomprehensible science babble into fun, lighthearted environments where the viewer can learn a lot. He knows just what to say to turn hostility into fun, lighthearted disagreement. He's probably also better at explaining the complex concepts discussed in ways laypersons can understand than anyone I've ever seen...and he can do it after about half a second of thought.

He's at the top of his game doing this sort of thing, and you can see his kind of clever, quick-thinking intelligence just leaking out of his ears because it can barely be contained inside his scull.

I love Neil De Grasse Tyson because he has a personality somewhere between an adult scientist and a bored five year old with ADD. Sometimes it can get annoying. I watched a discussion between him and Richard Dawkins in which Richard Dawkins kept trying to pull the conversation back toward science and Neil kept trying to pull the conversation towards movies and I think Dawkins eventually wanted to slap Neil, and I wouldn't have blamed him if he'd done it...but where Carl Sagan made things seem epic, moving, and dramatic, Neil is truly wonderful at being just...fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology